ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Expansion?

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
If you go to the message board of Houston, UCF, Cincy, Memphis, ect., you see everybody on pins and needles about expansion hoping to be Cinderella putting on the glass slipper. One or more of those teams might get an invite but no matter what happens somebody is going to be left out. It's definitely nice to be in a conference where expansion isn't even a concern with the creation of the ACC Network and the Grant of Rights extension into 2036. The only way the ACC ever comes up in expansion talks in the next 20 years is if Notre Dame joins full time and we need a 16th team to go with them.

So glad that FSU backed us over UConn and we are in our dream conference....Thank You!!
I am so glad Maryland jumped ship and gave us a chance to add Louisville. It has been a win-win for both parties. To see the value of Louisville to the ACC all you have to do is read the articles about the Big 12 regretting not adding Louisville when they added West Virginia.

If you go to the message board of Houston, UCF, Cincy, Memphis, ect., you see everybody on pins and needles about expansion hoping to be Cinderella putting on the glass slipper. One or more of those teams might get an invite but no matter what happens somebody is going to be left out. It's definitely nice to be in a conference where expansion isn't even a concern with the creation of the ACC Network and the Grant of Rights extension into 2036. The only way the ACC ever comes up in expansion talks in the next 20 years is if Notre Dame joins full time and we need a 16th team to go with them.

UCF and Memphis fans might as well jump off the ledge now which, BTW, I am all in favor of. This is a three horse race between Houston, UC and BYU.

You are right about those 3 being in the lead. The Big 12 has mentioned adding 2 or 4 teams, so those 3 plus one might get in.

I don't know what they will do. They have said 2 or 4. I think adding 2 is best for them right now, but I don't make the decisions.

I just cannot see them adding 4 because they will then be forced to split the money even more ways than 2, plus the drop off in quality from #3 to #4 is pretty big I think. One could argue that the drop off is pretty big from 2 to 3 even.

The ESPN-ACC move made the B12 desperate. They're now moving at warp speed. But, as one of my old bosses used to say, "When you want it bad, you get it bad". And the B12 may get it bad.

The individual payouts to the current Big XII members won't be negatively affected by adding teams unless the conference wants or allows that. I don't know what their media contract calls for nor do I care because it doesn't matter. The new teams will simply get to split whatever new revenue comes the Big XII's way, and those teams will gladly accept that compared to the alternative of no membership...

Last edited:
Reactions: wilkie01
I still think UH and UC. Texas still runs the conference and they didnt want expansion to begin with. So I cant see four being added unless TX really wanted it. TX is also backing UH.

I still think UH and UC. Texas still runs the conference and they didnt want expansion to begin with. So I cant see four being added unless TX really wanted it. TX is also backing UH.

I think you are correct because BYU could not resolve their Sunday play issues years ago, or we would be in the B12. Why would that change now? Plus, you know WVU is lobbying for it.

I just cannot see them adding 4 because they will then be forced to split the money even more ways than 2, plus the drop off in quality from #3 to #4 is pretty big I think. One could argue that the drop off is pretty big from 2 to 3 even.[/QUO

It was stated at the time expansion was agreed that they get the same per team per tv contracts after expansion no matter what for what I think is 8 years. The existing teams, greedily, will insist the new teams defer for some years their full shares to create a bonus for them. The commissioner even states it will be a factor in the leagues choice of expansion candidates.

For me, with 7 million Mormons in the US and another 7 million around the world, BYU is a certainty if it will make some necessary accommodations. Then if markets matter its Houston. After that UC. UCF and Memphis have to far to go to be competitive.

I just cannot see them adding 4 because they will then be forced to split the money even more ways than 2, plus the drop off in quality from #3 to #4 is pretty big I think. One could argue that the drop off is pretty big from 2 to 3 even.

Only BYU would get close to a full share to join the conference. Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, UConn - all of those schools would take a pay cut over what they are getting now in the AAC in order to join the Big 12.

That's where the current members end up with more money over the next five-ten years than they are making now ... and why adding four probably makes more $en$e than adding two.

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
Word is the Big 12 will be adding four teams in two weeks. Drum roll, they are BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis .

Word is the Big 12 will be adding four teams in two weeks. Drum roll, they are BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis .
BYU and Cincinnati make sense from a TV market stand point. Houston and Memphis, not so much.

Houston replaces Texas A&M market, Memphis with FEDEX backing gives them a nice market plus entrance into SEC controlled Territory with Ole Miss and Tennessee being the primary viewership.

This COULD be a set-up by Oklahoma, Texas and the PAC-12 to Temp Fix a problem!!!

I see 4 teams being added (Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis), to the B-12...WITHOUT an extension of the GOR's...Which expire around the same time the PAC-12 GOR's expires...

The B-12 (Or at least the Okie Schools, Texas and Texas Tech), and PAC, are in talks behind the scenes to add those 4 Big 12 schools...SAME as was planed in 2011...After the B-12 GOR's expire...You add 4 schools NOW...You lose 4 schools LATER...By Design and SMART Planning!!!

The PAC extends its reach deeper into the Midwest, while getting Two Blue-Blood Programs...And Oklahoma and Texas tie Arizona, Colorado and Utah together...Now you have the Pacific Coast Teams in one division, and the Midwest/Mountain/Southwest Teams in the other division...And NOW you have a 16 Team Super Conference...One Down...Three to go!!!

That leaves the rest of the schools in the Temp Fix B-12 trying to find a P-5 landing spot...Of those schools...Kansas (BIG), Kansas State (SEC???...It is next to Arkansas, Missouri and Texas), and West Virginia (ACC???...SEC)...SHOULD find a spot...The rest...WELL...

Baylor...MWC
Central Florida...Back to G-5...AAC/CUSA
Cincinnati...ACC???...Back to G-5...AAC/CUSA
Houston...SEC???...Back to G-5...AAC/CUSA/MWC
Iowa State...MWC
Memphis...Back to G-5...AAC/CUSA
TCU...MWC

I can see the BIG adding Connecticut and Kansas to get to 16 teams.

The SEC would have to choose between East Carolina (Gets them in the NC/Virginia TV Markets), Houston, Kansas State and West Virginia to get to 16 teams...If I'm the SEC I take Kansas State and West Virginia!!!

The ACC would ADD Notre Dame...Then be down to Central Florida (CAN'T see this happening), Cincinnati (would be MY Choice), Navy (Maryland/DC Markets???), and West Virginia (I think they're SEC bound), to get to 16 teams...DAMN...BOTH Georgia Tech and Navy with their Triple Options...That WOULD Suck!!!

ACC Pods:

BC, Pitt, Notre Dame, Syracuse

Cincinnati, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Duke, Goergia Tech, Miami, North Carolina

Clemson, FSU, N.C. State, Wake

You already KNOW that Notre Dame would WANT, and GET their choice of cross pod yearly rivals...So I see them choosing FSU, Miami and VA-Tech!!!

You KNOW that UNC would get N.C. State and Virginia as two of their yearly cross pod rivals!!!

I'd like Louisville to have Clemson, Miami and Pitt as yearly cross pod rivals in this set-up...Then rotate FSU, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame seperate during that three year rotation!!!

Year One: Clemson, FSU, Miami, Pitt
Year Two: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt
Year Three: Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame, Pitt

Just a thought!!!

:cool:

...The B-12 (Or at least the Okie Schools, Texas and Texas Tech), and PAC, are in talks behind the scenes to add those 4 Big 12 schools...SAME as was planed in 2011...
I thought I read that Texas has more recently (than 2011) said that if they ever move conferences, they will move EAST. Someone may recall a source unless I'm mistaken...

I thought I read that Texas has more recently (than 2011) said that if they ever move conferences, they will move EAST. Someone may recall a source unless I'm mistaken...

If they could be packaged with Notre Dame in the ACC...They'd KILL/DIE/LOVE for it to happen!!!

Nebraska would lead a revolt of several schools to keep them out of the BIG!!!

Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A&M would vote NO for Texas inclusion into the SEC...And Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina would vote with them to keep Texas out!!!

That leaves two conferences...The ACC and the PAC...

Colorado left the B-12 because of Texas...But unlike Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M...The Buffs DON'T have the cache to prevent adding Texas to the PAC...Everybody else in the PAC would kill to get Texas and it's recruiting base into the PAC...That would be two of the Top Three HS Recruiting States in the country!!!

Things are going to get interesting!!!

From a source on the Memphis Athletic Board.
How reliable is your source? My thinking is that everybody on their own board thinks they are going to get in. A poster on a message board most likely does not have any inside information.

I can see why each school thinks they deserve the spot more so than the others. Truthfully, none of the candidates, except maybe BYU, really make the Big 12 excited about adding them. So, I am hesitant to believe a source on a message board without some kind of real evidence that this person has the inside scoop.

Last edited:
If they could be packaged with Notre Dame in the ACC...They'd KILL/DIE/LOVE for it to happen!!!

Nebraska would lead a revolt of several schools to keep them out of the BIG!!!

Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A&M would vote NO for Texas inclusion into the SEC...And Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina would vote with them to keep Texas out!!!

That leaves two conferences...The ACC and the PAC...

Colorado left the B-12 because of Texas...But unlike Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M...The Buffs DON'T have the cache to prevent adding Texas to the PAC...Everybody else in the PAC would kill to get Texas and it's recruiting base into the PAC...That would be two of the Top Three HS Recruiting States in the country!!!

Things are going to get interesting!!!

Texas and Notre Dame would be my ideal pick to get the ACC to 16 teams.....Not sure the ACC would consider the 4 PODs mentioned above, but we will likely see a 9-game conference schedule in the very near future with the ACC Network coming in 2019?....Of course, the digital ACC network begins this fall...ACC Basketball is already going to increase to a 20 game schedule to provide more future conference games and content for the upcoming network, and I think that Football will follow suit shortly thereafter by adding an additional conference game each year....I'm sure ESPN is already pushing the ACC for a 9th conference football game when the Network hits the airways in 2019?

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out: If Texas chooses to stay in the B12, I would not be surprised to see the ACC at some point, go after Navy in hopes of luring Notre Dame as the ACC's final 16th Football member?....As most know, the new GOR signed by the members of the ACC, has new language that states that Notre Dame can ONLY join the ACC as a Football member as they too signed the recent new GOR agreement with the ACC..The history between the Naval Academy and Notre Dame might just be the ticket to finally getting the Irish to consider joining the ACC as a full-member if Navy were invited to join the ACC?

I do agree that Houston, Cinn, Memphis and either BYU or Central Florida will likely be the top 4 choices for the B12 membership, and the B12 has already stated that they hope to have this resolved before the season begins in about a month, so things are about to get really interesting as mentioned above...

My 2 future ACC divisions would look something like this:

ACC South
----------------
UNC
NCST
Duke
Wake
Clemson
FSU
UVA
Ga.Tech

ACC North
--------------
BC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Navy or Texas
Pitt
Miami
Va.Tech
Louisville

Of course, the problem is that there would be only 1 cross-division game each year with the addition of 2 more football members, so maybe a POD system would be better in terms of playing all the ACC members more frequently in the future?

The above divisions would put all the founding members of the ACC in one division which I would be in favor of, and it would also put Notre Dame in a division with some of their historic rivals such as Navy,Pitt and BC....

Be interesting to see what the ACC does in the next few years?

Can't wait for the new ACC network to begin!

Just my two cents worth!

Reactions: American Male
The ACC is in a good place for the next few years. Time to sit back and watch a little theater.

Pass the popcorn, please...

Reactions: American Male
Texas and Notre Dame would be my ideal pick to get the ACC to 16 teams.....Not sure the ACC would consider the 4 PODs mentioned above, but we will likely see a 9-game conference schedule in the very near future with the ACC Network coming in 2019?....Of course, the digital ACC network begins this fall...ACC Basketball is already going to increase to a 20 game schedule to provide more future conference games and content for the upcoming network, and I think that Football will follow suit shortly thereafter by adding an additional conference game each year....I'm sure ESPN is already pushing the ACC for a 9th conference football game when the Network hits the airways in 2019?

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out: If Texas chooses to stay in the B12, I would not be surprised to see the ACC at some point, go after Navy in hopes of luring Notre Dame as the ACC's final 16th Football member?....As most know, the new GOR signed by the members of the ACC, has new language that states that Notre Dame can ONLY join the ACC as a Football member as they too signed the recent new GOR agreement with the ACC..The history between the Naval Academy and Notre Dame might just be the ticket to finally getting the Irish to consider joining the ACC as a full-member if Navy were invited to join the ACC?

I do agree that Houston, Cinn, Memphis and either BYU or Central Florida will likely be the top 4 choices for the B12 membership, and the B12 has already stated that they hope to have this resolved before the season begins in about a month, so things are about to get really interesting as mentioned above...

My 2 future ACC divisions would look something like this:

ACC South
----------------
UNC
NCST
Duke
Wake
Clemson
FSU
UVA
Ga.Tech

ACC North
--------------
BC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Navy or Texas
Pitt
Miami
Va.Tech
Louisville

Of course, the problem is that there would be only 1 cross-division game each year with the addition of 2 more football members, so maybe a POD system would be better in terms of playing all the ACC members more frequently in the future?

The above divisions would put all the founding members of the ACC in one division which I would be in favor of, and it would also put Notre Dame in a division with some of their historic rivals such as Navy,Pitt and BC....

Be interesting to see what the ACC does in the next few years?

Can't wait for the new ACC network to begin!

Just my two cents worth!

Your "Two Cents Worth", is a "Million Dollar Post"!!!

I can see keeping the Original ACC Members in the same division...Makes sense...But with Pods you play everybody every three years vs. every six years in divisions...For marketing and TV reasons...The More...The Sooner...The Better!!!

a line from 12375CAT 's link said:
"Cincinnati has positioned itself well politically, has enjoyed significant football success and would expand the Big 12 into a new market. But while it would give West Virginia a travel partner, would the Mountaineers want to elevate their former Big East rival to Big 12 status?"

There might be some really good info in that article, but that quote right there is hilariously clueless. WVU wants Cincy bad. They will be sorely disappointed and might burn couches if teams get added and one of them isn't named Bearcats.

Some are now saying BYU is out. Connecticut is done as well. They are now saying:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
SMU

One thing is evident, the Big 12 expansion process is a Chinese Cluster #### and FUBAR! As we well known. I thank God that we are in the ACC instead of the Big 12!

Some are now saying BYU is out. Connecticut is done as well. They are now saying:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
SMU

One thing is evident, the Big 12 expansion process is a Chinese Cluster #### and FUBAR! As we well known. I thank God that we are in the ACC instead of the Big 12!
I can't see how SMU will come close to getting an invite. That would be completely reaching.

My prediction has two scenarios. Scenario two would only play out if the Big 12 wants BYU for Football only:

Scenario 1:

Cincy
Memphis
Houston
UCF

Scenario 2:

BYU
Houston
Memphis
Cincy

Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
SMU

Theres NO #U@#ING way in Hell SMU gets voted in...The B-12 is in the mess they are in BECAUSE of FOUR TEX-@$$ Schools now...Adding two more is SUICIDE!!!

I don't think BYU is out. Only week ago, they formally asked to be considered. I think it is Houston and Cincinnati if they add two, and add BYU and either Memphis or UCF if they take 4.

Keep in mind that none of these team really make the Big 12 or ESPN/Fox Sports excited about adding them, and the conference has said it is not their job to make those teams better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT