ADVERTISEMENT

Behanan and Harrell

nccardfan

Four-Star Poster
Sep 5, 2007
lawrenceburg, KY
Both former players claim they have been banned from U of L facilities. Most likely due to the NCAA case. Behanan took it to a new level by claiming he wants his name taken off everything that has to do with U of L. Really can't help our appeals case. Just don't put stuff out there in social media, please.

Both former players claim they have been banned from U of L facilities. Most likely due to the NCAA case. Behanan took it to a new level by claiming he wants his name taken off everything that has to do with U of L. Really can't help our appeals case. Just don't put stuff out there in social media, please.
That is a crying shame. I guess we better understand Behanan's actions regarding the sale of his championship ring. He didn't give two flips about it, so there's no reason to believe he gives two flips about anything UofL related. Harrell getting banned from the UofL facilities is more of a surprise to me, but that just means there was more going on than the public knew. Eventually this nightmare will be over. Just don't know when.

Reactions: nccardfan
Chane's response unfortunately shows that he still needs to mature more. He wouldn't talk to investigators which certainly was his prerogative, but there are consequences for his actions.

L1C4... unless you bang skank strippers in the basketball dorm.

From the CJ:

"At least two former University of Louisville basketball players have been barred from using on-campus facilities after, a source said, U of L cut ties with multiple people as a result of the program's NCAA infractions case.

Former Louisville basketball players Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell each posted Sunday on social media that they had been prevented from using U of L's on-campus facilities.

A source with knowledge of the situation and who could not speak publicly about it said Harrell has been disassociated from the program after his refusal to meet with NCAA investigators during the infractions inquiry into U of L's men's basketball program.

Behanan, the starting power forward on U of L's 2013 title team, told the Courier-Journal that he, too, was not allowed to play on campus at the Cards' facility.

Behanan indicated he may have been disassociated, too.

"That's the word I've got myself," Behanan said. "I'm not allowed in the facilities. I don't know why."

Both players were mentioned in "Breaking Cardinal Rules," Katina Powell's tell-all book that sparked the NCAA investigation and led to sanctions against the University of Louisville.

Harrell, a forward who played for the Cards from 2012-15, posted an Instagram video saying he was turned away from U of L after trying to play pick-up basketball there.

"Just tried (to) get some run" at Louisville, Harrell's Instagram video said, and "they told me I couldn't be in (the) gym. ... What a joke."

636395197198802474-harrell-2.png

Montrezl Harrell's Instagram video saying he was barred from Louisville's basketball facilities included this follow-up. The videos come off the social media app after 24 hours. (Photo: Screenshot of Montrezl Harrell's Instagram account)

Harrell did not respond to a message on Sunday. His father, Samuel, said he had not spoken with his son about the issue.

Reached on Monday, U of L's sports information director Kenny Klein said he could not respond to Behanan or Harrell's comments because of privacy issues.

Dissociation is an athletic department's way of distancing itself from or cutting ties with former coaches, players, administrators, boosters or others who may be under NCAA scrutiny or who put the university at risk. Such moves are common for universities in infractions cases. They do not necessarily indicate any wrongdoing and they can be put in place for specific periods of time.

Reactions: shadow force
I was one through this whole thing whose biggest worry was that banner coming down. It was more important to keep that title than fines, suspensions or scholarships. Even another post season ban was not as bad as losing that title we won so brilliantly.

I have changed my mind. It doesn't matter anymore (to me at least) who knew or who was involved. The complete story could be as simple as McGee and a few players to a complex mess of McGee, many players, coaches and boosters. It doesn't matter anymore. To the rest of the world, that 2012/13 team is tainted. It might as well not even count. It will be listed as the lowest NCAA title game of the 2010-2020 decade.

Now after all of the crap we fans have endured for two years we now see former players being banned and complaining about it. This can only make things worse as it again appears the basketball program is in disarray. This on the heels of ACC coaches stinging attacks on Pitino and the program. I fear the end we all want so much to this stupid episode of human ignorance will not be a whimper but a bang. So the banner probably won't survive and how could it with so many forces against UofL? It truly defies common sense in todays world of gotcha news.

So as a lifelong UofL fan with a historic preference for the sport of basketball, it hurts me to state that the 2013 title team no longer means much anymore. Even with a best case scenario, would all the players come back for reunions or make appearances at anniversaries? Some guys will always be loved by the fans like Luke Hancock and Peyton Siva but the reality is some of the guys apparently didn't have enough of a moral code to know something like this was not right. No telling how many different variations of something like this that has happened to other schools but were never found out. Louisville has to be made an example of...and I have laid down my sword of defense.

Now I move on...

Banner is gone just like the team concept with a few players when this happened. I'm sure Rozier is included also. He displayed and answered with a caviler attitude during this fiasco when it came out also.

I was one through this whole thing whose biggest worry was that banner coming down. It was more important to keep that title than fines, suspensions or scholarships. Even another post season ban was not as bad as losing that title we won so brilliantly.

I have changed my mind. It doesn't matter anymore (to me at least) who knew or who was involved. The complete story could be as simple as McGee and a few players to a complex mess of McGee, many players, coaches and boosters. It doesn't matter anymore. To the rest of the world, that 2012/13 team is tainted. It might as well not even count. It will be listed as the lowest NCAA title game of the 2010-2020 decade.

Now after all of the crap we fans have endured for two years we now see former players being banned and complaining about it. This can only make things worse as it again appears the basketball program is in disarray. This on the heels of ACC coaches stinging attacks on Pitino and the program. I fear the end we all want so much to this stupid episode of human ignorance will not be a whimper but a bang. So the banner probably won't survive and how could it with so many forces against UofL? It truly defies common sense in todays world of gotcha news.

So as a lifelong UofL fan with a historic preference for the sport of basketball, it hurts me to state that the 2013 title team no longer means much anymore. Even with a best case scenario, would all the players come back for reunions or make appearances at anniversaries? Some guys will always be loved by the fans like Luke Hancock and Peyton Siva but the reality is some of the guys apparently didn't have enough of a moral code to know something like this was not right. No telling how many different variations of something like this that has happened to other schools but were never found out. Louisville has to be made an example of...and I have laid down my sword of defense.

Now I move on...
Such a wonderful post. You sure hit the nail on the head. Maybe good will come of this. More accountability, a better moral compass, and values. This could be a great thing in the long run.

I don't like the fact that former players are banned from facilities but it is probably justified. I really hate that Harrell is one of them he gave us an extra year when he could have gone early. I wonder if this ban was put in place at the request of the NCAA.

I don't like the fact that former players are banned from facilities but it is probably justified. I really hate that Harrell is one of them he gave us an extra year when he could have gone early. I wonder if this ban was put in place at the request of the NCAA.
No. The ban was placed by U of L because we are currently appealing sanctions against us that were caused by the actions of at least these two former players. We need to show remorse and show that we can't really tolerate this type of behavior or at least give that impression. The ban would have probably been lifted after a while but not while we are trying to save the banner.

They aren't allowed to associate with the program because they didn't cooperate with NCAA. Apparently the NCAA is supposed to get off on things like that as well as other chicken-$hit things like self-imposed sanctions. Unfortunately though, the kangaroo court that is the NCAA is still not appeased by our self flogging.

Personally, I don't want guys like Harrell and Behanan around our younger basketball players anyway. They're hard players and can toughen up our guys, but that's about the only benefit.

If U of L wants to ban them permanently, I won't lose any sleep over it...

and I have laid down my sword of defense.
The act of providing hookers to kids is indefensible. I really don't think one single soul on this site has even tried to defend that despicable act.

What I will defend is the response the University put forth. Once discovered, the University took action to correct the deplorable act while making damn sure it will NEVER happen again. The fact the NCAA's kangaroo court isn't willing to accept that as enough is what I'm now angry about. I'm still mad at McGee for being such an idiot, and equally angry that Pitino refuses to accept any culpability. The fact he is fighting his suspension is a joke. He deserves to be suspended for not knowing the character of his own staff which he hired. He needs to own that.

I'm still a UofL fan because I have accepted what transpired. I don't like it but the only 2 choices were to continue to be a fan or not. I have been a UofL fan since I was 11 years old. I'm too old now to just throw all that time away. I am L1C4 to the bone.

Last edited:
They aren't allowed to associate with the program because they didn't cooperate with NCAA. Apparently the NCAA is supposed to get off on things like that as well as other chicken-$hit things like self-imposed sanctions. Unfortunately though, the kangaroo court that is the NCAA is still not appeased by our self flogging.
I'm sorry but read the headlines. U of L cut ties with former players... Now is it because it's only makes sense since we are appealing sanctions and the banner, possibly.

Reactions: Cue Card
The act of providing hookers to kids is indefensible. I really don't think one single soul on this site has even tried to defend that despicable act.

What I will defend is the response the University put forth. Once discovered, the University took action to correct the deplorable act while making damn sure it will NEVER happen again. The fact the NCAA's kangaroo court isn't willing to accept that as enough is what I'm now angry about. I'm still mad at McGee for being such an idiot, and equally angry that Pitino refuses to accept any culpability. The fact he is fighting his suspension is a joke. He deserves to be suspended for not knowing the character of his own staff which he hired. He needs to own that.

I'm still a UofL fan because I have accepted what transpired. I don't like it but the only 2 choices were to continue to be a fan or not. I have been a UofL fan since I was 11 years old. I'm too old now to just throw all that time away. I am L1C4 to the bone.
Cue,

I'm with you. I'm still a fan of the University of Louisville! What we are missing as fans though is we tried to make light of the whole situation when it "appears" there is more truth to what was in the book than what we wanted to admit. Face it we have been exploited before. However, it seems that some of the players in question did not cooperate, which in the eyes of the NCAA means U of L didn't fully cooperate. What happens if you refuse a breathalyzer, just to make an analogy. It usually means you were drinking.

Another reason I don't want this to go to court. It's one thing to deny you participated, but it's another thing if you have to take an oath. These players can't be punished by the NCAA but they can be punished for perjury.

Reactions: Cue Card
Cue,

I'm with you. I'm still a fan of the University of Louisville! What we are missing as fans though is we tried to make light of the whole situation when it "appears" there is more truth to what was in the book than what we wanted to admit. Face it we have been exploited before. However, it seems that some of the players in question did not cooperate, which in the eyes of the NCAA means U of L didn't fully cooperate. What happens if you refuse a breathalyzer, just to make an analogy. It usually means you were drinking.

Another reason I don't want this to go to court. It's one thing to deny you participated, but it's another thing if you have to take an oath. These players can't be punished by the NCAA but they can be punished for perjury.
Not all of us made light of it. At first I did because I didn't want to believe it. Once I saw that the allegations were true (if not all, some) then I got angry and at that point is when I had a choice to make. Either stick it out and accept the outcome while keeping my L1C4 badge of (tainted) honor or throw it out; walk away from sports altogether or find a new team. Well, sports is an important social venue to humanity IMO, and I am just too damn old to throw away 40+ years of my life and start over with a new University. I'm not going back to another college at my age and I can't think of any team that I would rather be a fan of.

If this goes to court then it goes to court. I've accepted whatever happens because my end game won't change. My paraphernalia is mine no matter what the NCAA 'decides' to do. I would like to see them try to take it away from me.

Reactions: ULarder
No. The ban was placed by U of L because we are currently appealing sanctions against us that were caused by the actions of at least these two former players. We need to show remorse and show that we can't really tolerate this type of behavior or at least give that impression. The ban would have probably been lifted after a while but not while we are trying to save the banner.
This will probably get deleted. But if we really wanted to show remorse then we would get rid of the coach, plain and simple. He seems like Teflon Don and eventually we need to cut our ties and start from scratch....basketball that is. From screwing a woman in a booth at a local establishment and then possibly having an abortion, and now this. This whole fiasco has me disgusted.

This will probably get deleted. But if we really wanted to show remorse then we would get rid of the coach, plain and simple. He seems like Teflon Don and eventually we need to cut our ties and start from scratch....basketball that is. From screwing a woman in a booth at a local establishment and then possibly having an abortion, and now this. This whole fiasco has me disgusted.
I think there is some truth here. Had we fired CRP (which I am not an advocate of), who is to say that there would have been no other sanctions against us. I could see a likely scenario from the NCAA feeling like the postseason ban and reduced scholarships just wasn't enough and since you didn't get rid of the HC, further sanctions were necessary. That is, if you believe the seriousness of this case.

I guess that is what the appeals boils down to, whether the NCAA believes we paid the full price of our actions.

Reactions: tluck28
Nothing wrong with your post and you have every right to express your opinion. It should not be deleted just because many on here will not agree with you. I don't fully agree mainly because Jurich is the one I trust, and he has confidence in his basketball coach. I'm not ready to completely clean house which would include Jurich. He's done way too much good for the athletic department to see him fired for Pitino's ineptness. In Jurich I trust.

Reactions: tluck28
I don't think anyone has to worry about future testimony from a participant who might be charged with a crime--not if that participant has a decent attorney. That's also a possible reason that these guys didn't talk to the NCAA...

If I see one more thing about the Pitino affair I will scream. That had NOTHING to do with the basketball program or university. It only came to light because the crazy woman blackmailed Pitino several years later.

Now do I need to say "He who is without sin cast the first stone"? There has to be hundreds of coaches through the years who had affairs that the public doesn't know. I'm not defending adultery but none of us are privy to Pitino's marriage and the problems it may have had.

What I do know is Rick Pitino has always maintained NCAA rules integrity and there's no way he would of allowed the activities in Minardi hall. Just because he had a personal moment of sinfulness some 10 years earlier. Jurich wants to keep Pitino because he's a great coach with that history of NCAA rules compliance.

From the CJ:

"At least two former University of Louisville basketball players have been barred from using on-campus facilities after, a source said, U of L cut ties with multiple people as a result of the program's NCAA infractions case.

Former Louisville basketball players Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell each posted Sunday on social media that they had been prevented from using U of L's on-campus facilities.

A source with knowledge of the situation and who could not speak publicly about it said Harrell has been disassociated from the program after his refusal to meet with NCAA investigators during the infractions inquiry into U of L's men's basketball program.

Behanan, the starting power forward on U of L's 2013 title team, told the Courier-Journal that he, too, was not allowed to play on campus at the Cards' facility.

"That's the word I've got myself," Behanan said. "I'm not allowed in the facilities. I don't know why."

Both players were mentioned in "Breaking Cardinal Rules," Katina Powell's tell-all book that sparked the NCAA investigation and led to sanctions against the University of Louisville.

Harrell, a forward who played for the Cards from 2012-15, posted an Instagram video saying he was turned away from U of L after trying to play pick-up basketball there.

"Just tried (to) get some run" at Louisville, Harrell's Instagram video said, and "they told me I couldn't be in (the) gym. ... What a joke."

Montrezl Harrell's Instagram video saying he was barred from Louisville's basketball facilities included this follow-up. The videos come off the social media app after 24 hours. (Photo: Screenshot of Montrezl Harrell's Instagram account)

Harrell did not respond to a message on Sunday. His father, Samuel, said he had not spoken with his son about the issue.

Reached on Monday, U of L's sports information director Kenny Klein said he could not respond to Behanan or Harrell's comments because of privacy issues.

Dissociation is an athletic department's way of distancing itself from or cutting ties with former coaches, players, administrators, boosters or others who may be under NCAA scrutiny or who put the university at risk. Such moves are common for universities in infractions cases. They do not necessarily indicate any wrongdoing and they can be put in place for specific periods of time.

UL has argued that an athlete who has been identified as receiving impermissable benefits can be rehabilitated after punishment. Perhaps this action against Behanan and Harrell is an attempt to comply with that argument

From the CJ:

UL has argued that an athlete who has been identified as receiving impermissable benefits can be rehabilitated after punishment. Perhaps this action against Behanan and Harrell is an attempt to comply with that argument

What I do know is Rick Pitino has always maintained NCAA rules integrity and there's no way he would of allowed the activities in Minardi hall.
While I agree with you, coach Pitino needs to acknowledge that HE hired McGee and HE gave McGee the power to be stupid without prejudice. That is where coach Pitino failed IMO. It was and still is HIS JOB to oversee the program and the people he hires to help with that task. He trusted McGee too much in hindsight. He just needs to own that and move on.

Reactions: nccardfan
While I agree with you, coach Pitino needs to acknowledge that HE hired McGee and HE gave McGee the power to be stupid without prejudice. That is where coach Pitino failed IMO. It was and still is HIS JOB to oversee the program and the people he hires to help with that task. He trusted McGee too much in hindsight. He just needs to own that and move on.
I've never seen anything where Pitino said he didn't hire McGee. In fact, I heard a radio interview during the season after the post season ban was announced where he said he takes responsibility for hiring McGee. Also said he has no idea why McGee would do something so uncharacteristic.

It wasn't until some of the media wanted him fired and accused him of knowing. Then the NCAA came down hard so he is defending himself. He takes some of the culpability but he's not going to accept that he should be out because people who already dislike him think he was aware of those activities in Minardi hall.

I've never seen anything where Pitino said he didn't hire McGee. In fact, I heard a radio interview during the season after the post season ban was announced where he said he takes responsibility for hiring McGee. Also said he has no idea why McGee would do something so uncharacteristic.

It wasn't until some of the media wanted him fired and accused him of knowing. Then the NCAA came down hard so he is defending himself. He takes some of the culpability but he's not going to accept that he should be out because people who already dislike him think he was aware of those activities in Minardi hall.
I don't dislike him but I do believe that it should have been brought to his attention before 11 or 12 stripper parties were held. Notice I didn't say he should have known but someone, a player, a person living in the dorm, student manager should have realize this shouldn't be happening. Somebody has to take that responsibility and it can't be McGee because he was the one committing the violation.

It's one thing to say it, and another to own it. All he has to do is accept his 5 game suspension for his failure to monitor his staff AKA McGee. Then his words of taking responsibility would sound legit. Right now his words sound as hollow as the empty barrels he complains about when speaking about some UofK fans.

It's one thing to say it, and another to own it. All he has to do is accept his 5 game suspension for his failure to monitor his staff AKA McGee. Then his words of taking responsibility would sound legit. Right now his words sound as hollow as the empty barrels he complains about when speaking about some UofK fans.
Cue - you are right about this but I think because Boeheim had his games suspensions changed from ACC games to first games of the season allowed CRP to appeal based on precedent.

They're not KIDS!

ADVERTISEMENT