ADVERTISEMENT

Becton not playing in Music City Bowl

I'm cool with it. If he stays healthy he's going to have a monster NFL career. Anyway, in my mind, the bowl game isn't about this season. It's about next season with the added practice time. Let Becton's replacement get the reps.

Probably a good thing. He would have probably gotten another personal foul penalty for a “late hit during the play”.:D

Absolutely the most ludicrous call I’ve seen in a football game in a long time.

Reactions: Cue Card and gocds
Play to the whistle has taken a new meaning this year with Louisville. Haycraft and Becton both got penalties for blocking guys up until the whistle blew. Now it’s you have to stop blocking them if they are too far away from the ball. The intent of the Warren Sapp rule was to stop people from trucking someone that wasn’t engaged with that not going to make a play. It wasn’t meant for a situation were the players are engaged and the play goes away from them. The absurdity of those penalties really make you wonder what these refs are being taught.

My counter to that stupidity is defensive lineman can no longer pursue a ball carrier if they are more than 10 yards away.

Him not playing is the smart decision, especially after he got hurt in the Miami.

That being said, just as players have deemphasized bowl games, I have done the same as a fan. I will attend the Music City Bowl because of the proximity and I like Nashville, but otherwise going to a bowl game is much less exciting to me than it was a few years ago. I’d much rather go to a road game or two, or enjoy a beginning of the season neutral site game.

Its the new norm. I dont have a problem with it. Thought I heard one of the Miss St RB also not playing in bowl game.

when there were only 20 something bowls they meant something. but the chance of losing millions on a injury during an exhibition game is bad business. of course, no one skips the playoff games or conference championships. plus does he still get to go and get all the free swag?

No problem with this decision at all. If there was something truly at stake (a National Title), I might have a different opinion, and he might have had a different decision as well. Best of luck Big Fella; go put 'em on their ass in the pros!

when there were only 20 something bowls they meant something. but the chance of losing millions on a injury during an exhibition game is bad business. of course, no one skips the playoff games or conference championships. plus does he still get to go and get all the free swag?

I am sure he would get to go to the game with the team if he wants to. I recall several players who were sitting out the game being on the sideline when we played LSU in the Citrus Bowl.

Its the new norm. I dont have a problem with it. Thought I heard one of the Miss St RB also not playing in bowl game.

Cornerback Cameron Dantzler. He was a candidate for multiple national player of the year awards this year. He and Becton are both locks to be very high draft picks. One of his teammates (linebacker Errol Thompson) called him out on Twitter about it, too.

I don't have a problem with his decision, but I feel bad for our QBs that have to go out and play without Becton to protect them. They will have to play without him next year, but as was already pointed out this is basically a meaningless game and their health is on the line in this game too.

I am feeling like going against the grain in this thread. I don't like that he decided not to play in the bowl game.

Does he also revoke his scholarship too and have to pay for the rest of his time like those not on scholarship at UofL? If not, he should.

Money and future money is a false idol and speaks poorly of a mans word and integrity IMO.

I wish him good fortune and wish he had decided not to turn his back on his fellow team mates and coaches who all contributed to his success this year. Bless him and his family and thanks for your time as a Cardinal. Hope you do better in your pro career.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I respect his decision and think it's a good move. Why risk getting injured. Big Ticket needs to make sure he's healthy to cash in his ticket. He played until the end of season, so his work here is done. Take it off, get healthy and come on down to Nashville and support your teammates.

I'm curious about something.

I've noticed that some of the well wishers for Bec are also people who bitch about people not going to games.

Ironic to me that it's ok for players to skip games for money, but if "fans" skip games to save money, or for whatever reason, it's not.

I'll not say another word about attendance. Makes shorter lines for me.

I'm curious about something.

I've noticed that some of the well wishers for Bec are also people who bitch about people not going to games.

Ironic to me that it's ok for players to skip games for money, but if "fans" skip games to save money, or for whatever reason, it's not.

I'll not say another word about attendance. Makes shorter lines for me.
So let’s assume this scenario, which could have happened. Let’s say instead of Becton, it’s Lamar and he decides he’s not playing in the bowl game. You’re not going to the bowl game because of one player? I would be extremely disappointed but more than likely I’m still going to the bowl game to support the university and the team, not just one individual.

Reactions: FlavRunit
So let’s assume this scenario, which could have happened. Let’s say instead of Becton, it’s Lamar and he decides he’s not playing in the bowl game. You’re not going to the bowl game because of one player? I would be extremely disappointed but more than likely I’m still going to the bowl game to support the university and the team, not just one individual.
Times are changing.

For players, AND fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT