ADVERTISEMENT

Becky Burke named head WBB Coach at USC Upstate

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Former University of Louisville women's basketball standout Becky Burke has been named the new womens' basketball head coach at South Carolina Upstate University.

The Spartans, located in Spartanburg, SC, are a Di program and play in the Big South Conference.

Burke comes to the Spartans from University of Charleston-West Virginia. In two years there, she turned the program around with two consecutive 25-7 seasons. Her 2018-19 squad led the country in field goal percentage.

"I felt that USC Upstate was a place where we could win before I even came on my campus visit, and after visiting, that was confirmed for me. This is a place where we can recruit because of the campus support and resources."

Burke played for Louisville from 2008-2012 and graduated with a degree in sports management. She helped lead the squad to three NCAA Tournament. She led Louisville in scoring in her sophomore year.

Jeff Walz on Burke:

"I'm very excited for Becky as she has done a tremendous job at every stop she's had along the way to this point of her career. This is just the next step for her. She's has success at every stop. She's very passionate and knowledgeable, and just does a fantastic job of getting the best out of her student athletes. She coaches the same way she played, which is with a lot of passion, hear and fire. I think that is going to continue to lead her to great success."

USC Upstate went 10-20 in 2019-20.

Another former Walz prodigy to schedule down the road, right? You could almost set up an entire non-conference schedule against former Walz student-athletes and assistant coaches who are now head coaches at DI programs.

--sonja--

It doesn’t seem that long ago when she was playing at Louisville. It is hard to believe she graduated in 2012. She is really on the fast track for her coaching career, good luck to her.

Reactions: PHCARD and Sonja
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT