ADVERTISEMENT

BB Asst coach Fennell arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
redfistfury, calling an AA who doesn’t have your mindset an Uncle Tom is pretty disgusting. By that statement you think all AA are stereotypes and don’t have opinions of their own, it is somewhat racist on your part.

redfistfury, calling an AA who doesn’t have your mindset an Uncle Tom is pretty disgusting. By that statement you think all AA are stereotypes and don’t have opinions of their own, it is somewhat racist on your part.
Don't even attempt to rationalize how a AA feel about uncle Toms.

Gentlemen, you‘ve allowed one person to turn this thread into AA vs AA. :confused: For your own sanity use the ignore feature.

Or, the mods could use the ban button.

What has Zipp said in this thread that would warrant a ban? I’d be more inclined to ban the guy that throws around the racist phrase “White Privilege” (I know it wasn’t you) before banning Zipp in this one, but then again maybe that guy doesn’t know what it feels like to be a white guy from a low income part of town that hasn’t been given anything in his life, that has had to work for everything he has only to be told that he’s had this special privilege his whole life just because he’s white yet has never seen the benefits of this privilege.

I’ve been arrested and mistreated by white cops, I’ve been called racist terms by AA’s at city parks playing basketball for no reason, I’ve had white cops tell me my neighborhood is ghetto after calling them for a fender bender...I’ve received no privilege my entire life for being white. That term is divisive, and needs to be washed from away from being an acceptable term by all of society. Anyways, sorry for the political rant.

What has Zipp said in this thread that would warrant a ban? I’d be more inclined to ban the guy that throws around the racist phrase “White Privilege” (I know it wasn’t you) before banning Zipp in this one, but then again maybe that guy doesn’t know what it feels like to be a white guy from a low income part of town that hasn’t been given anything in his life, that has had to work for everything he has only to be told that he’s had this special privilege his whole life just because he’s white yet has never seen the benefits of this privilege.

I’ve been arrested and mistreated by white cops, I’ve been called racist terms by AA’s at city parks playing basketball for no reason, I’ve had white cops tell me my neighborhood is ghetto after calling them for a fender bender...I’ve received no privilege my entire life for being white. That term is divisive, and needs to be washed from away from being an acceptable term by all of society. Anyways, sorry for the political rant.

How is white privilege a racist term? Honest question

It is obvious that more than one poster on this thread has been arrested at some point and has a problem with law enforcement. Maybe you can hook up with our rouge coach at some point and start a protest somewhere together. Better hurry though cause he ain't gonna be around here for long.

It is obvious that more than one poster on this thread has been arrested at some point and has a problem with law enforcement. Maybe you can hook up with our rouge coach at some point and start a protest somewhere together. Better hurry though cause he ain't gonna be around here for long.

Are you suggesting Coach Fennell is going to be fired? If so I think you are really misinformed.

I’ve never been arrested but, I definitely have a “problem with law enforcement” as it is practiced by a certain element within it. No one is saying that all cops are bad but the hundreds of incidents of unlawful abuse that occur each and every year - whether resulting in death or the deprivation of American citizens’ civil rights - show a systematic problem within law enforcement and its leadership and, should be unacceptable to every American. We have the right to expect and demand more from our public servants.

Never takes much for the true feelings and views to show in certain persons. Exactly the reason why this thread happened and continues all over the world presently .

I had a chance to watch the movie The Green Book about a white rascist and a Gay black successful pianist . That movie shows a glimpse of both views of why they think the way they do.

How is white privilege a racist term? Honest question

It shows favoritism for a particular race. The term, or phrase, is used to incite, and that is just not the way to fix the problems that exist. The peaceful protests that we’ve been seeing on tv that involve all races, is the way to deal with these issues. I just don’t see why political activists think it’s a good idea to use the phrase. They use it to create awareness, they’re really just creating a bigger divide. I just think there are others ways to go about tackling the issues we face.

It shows favoritism for a particular race. The term, or phrase, is used to incite, and that is just not the way to fix the problems that exist. The peaceful protests that we’ve been seeing on tv that involve all races, is the way to deal with these issues. I just don’t see why political activists think it’s a good idea to use the phrase. They use it to create awareness, they’re really just creating a bigger divide. I just think there are others ways to go about tackling the issues we face.
Personally i truly can understand why some whites are offended with the term white privilege because everybody doesn't carry themselves as if they are better because of their race . I had and to this day still have white friends that are gold. However from my pov being a AA man the issues are real . i could go on and on about the racism i have experienced in my career s which includes law enforcement and military. I have a very real and distinct perspective on this. We as AA people make up a very small percentage of this country . Our ancestors were responsible for the generational wealth of most white people in this country.

Due to slavery something was promised to our ancestors after slavery which was never given 40 acres and a mule. In order for this country to move forward nowadays white people are going to have to get in this with us to fix it. Or the issue's we are going through right now will only get worse these younger generational kids coming into play now will burn this country down. Your seeing it with your own eyes no more denial .

Sorry if I don't participate seriously in any race discussions having lived 60+ years in a world where that subject has been beaten up and redefined more times than I can possibly remember--as is happening again.

My point is and continues to be that a representative of U of L or any organization that doesn't want its name in headlines for the wrong reason has no business standing alongside of thugs and criminals in the line of fire with police and in the name of free speech. Let that person exercise his/her free speech safely in ways that will get more of the desired publicity than this guy was ever gonna receive in downtown Louisville that nite.

His outcome was largely on him and indirectly on Mack...

“standing alongside of thugs and criminals”

So that’s what you think of people protesting? Sad, very sad.

There are issues that you avg white person does not have to deal with compared to your avg. black person and some white people can be intentionally tone deaf to that. I do understand how that term can be divisive though.

Sorry if I don't participate seriously in any race discussions having lived 60+ years in a world where that subject has been beaten up and redefined more times than I can possibly remember--as is happening again.

My point is and continues to be that a representative of U of L or any organization that doesn't want its name in headlines for the wrong reason has no business standing alongside of thugs and criminals in the line of fire with police and in the name of free speech. Let that person exercise his/her free speech safely in ways that will get more of the desired publicity than this guy was ever gonna receive in downtown Louisville that nite.

His outcome was largely on him and indirectly on Mack...

Its still disgusting that you think its more important to attempt to smear Mack and indirectly Tyra than having any sort of real discussion on race. It doesn't shock me that you are the type of fan that roots for black players on the field but wouldn't stand up for them off the field.

There were thousands of protestors and they weren't all damaging property etc.. or this city would have been burned to the ground. Unless he was damaging property I respect his right to protest and voice his opinion. Its understandable that you wouldn't care because its not an issue that will affect you unfortunately. He wasn't doing it for publicity for himself but to show that our community won't continue to stand for it.

You should ask your black friend how they feel about it or have they been the one black person in the world to never experience racism and the rest of us are just whiners or that we deserve it?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Its still disgusting that you think its more important to attempt to smear Mack and indirectly Tyra than having any sort of real discussion on race. It doesn't shock me that you are the type of fan that roots for black players on the field but wouldn't stand up for them off the field.

There were thousands of protestors and they weren't all damaging property etc.. or this city would have been burned to the ground. Unless he was damaging property I respect his right to protest and voice his opinion. Its understandable that you wouldn't care because its not an issue that will affect you unfortunately. He wasn't doing it for publicity for himself but to show that our community won't continue to stand for it.

You should ask your black friend how they feel about it or have they been the one black person in the world to never experience racism and the rest of us are just whiners or that we deserve it?
Not too mention their have been professional coaches and players protesting everyday now. Jim Harbaugh comes to mind.

Perrin Johnson who doesn't hide that his lifestyle and environment is a mostly white society than black. However he tells his stories of the constant racism he still confronts daily even as a former U of L athlete within that same society who rooted for him on the hardwood .

Last edited:
A story that has stuck with me till this day . I was about 10 years old walking in a store with my mom a little white girl while with her parents pointed at me. And looked at her parents and said is that a (N*****) kid.!

A story that has stuck with me till this day . I was about 10 years old walking in a store with my mom a little white girl while with her parents pointed at me. And looked at her parents and said is that a (N*****) kid.!

Red, my mom would have smacked me upside the head for saying that right there & then. An apology would have happened immediately while I was sobbing. See I wouldn’t have heard talk like that in our home. Some folks are blessed to be raised the right way.

“standing alongside of thugs and criminals”

So that’s what you think of people protesting? Sad, very sad.
Keep trying to put words in my mouth...always works well for you.

Legit protesters--like our coach presumably--were standing alongside thugs and criminals. Along with that comes collateral damage. Shouldn't take a genius to figure that out...

I don't need your analysis of me personally. Along with our AA guy, you're the last people whose opinions would matter to me.

I've lived in this country for 60+ years and lived a number of years in the deep south. I don't need people younger, less informed, and likely less experienced than me giving me a lecture.

This is a U of L sports message board, we had a basketball coach arrested, and the head coach made a statement thereafter. Do I have to connect more dots for you?...

There is no doubt that there are thugs in the crowd with the peaceful protesters. All you have to do is turn on the news and you will see white people and black people being victimized by some of the protesters. I think there is rush to judgement on whether this was racially motivated.

The police officer who killed George Floyd has a history with Floyd. They both worked security jobs together at nightclubs. By the time all of this is over this might have more to do with business than race.

Universalism & Individualism Whites are taught to see their perspectives as objective and representative of reality (McIntosh, 1988). The belief in objectivity, coupled with positioning white people as outside of culture (and thus the norm for humanity), allows whites to view themselves as universal humans who can represent all of human experience. This is evidenced through an unracialized identity or location, which functions as a kind of blindness; an inability to think about Whiteness as an identity or as a “state” of being that would or could have an impact on one’s life. In this position, Whiteness is not recognized or named by white people, and a universal reference point is assumed. White people are just people. Within this construction, whites can represent humanity, while people of color, who are never just people but always most particularly black people, Asian people, etc., can only represent their own racialized experiences (Dyer, 1992). The discourse of universalism functions similarly to the discourse of individualism but instead of declaring that we all need to see each other as individuals (everyone is different), the person declares that we all need to see each other as human beings (everyone is the same). Of course we are all humans, and I do not critique universalism in general, but when applied to racism, universalism functions to deny the significance of race and the advantages of being white. Further, universalism assumes that whites and people of color have the same realities, the same experiences in the same contexts (i.e. I feel comfortable in this majority white classroom, so you must too), the same responses from others, and assumes that the same doors are open to all. Acknowledging racism as a system of privilege conferred on whites challenges claims to universalism. At the same time that whites are taught to see their interests and perspectives as universal, they are also taught to value the individual and to see themselves as individuals rather than as part of a racially socialized group. Individualism erases history and hides the ways in which wealth has been distributed and accumulated over generations to benefit whites today. It allows whites to view themselves as unique and original, outside of socialization and unaffected by the relentless racial messages in the culture. Individualism also allows whites to distance themselves from the actions of their racial group and demand to be granted the benefit of the doubt, as individuals, in all cases. A corollary to this unracialized identity is the ability to recognize Whiteness as something that is significant and that operates in society, but to not see how it relates to one’s own life. In this form, a white person recognizes Whiteness as real, but as the individual problem of other “bad” white people (DiAngelo, 2010a).

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I don't need your analysis of me personally. Along with our AA guy, you're the last people whose opinions would matter to me.

I've lived in this country for 60+ years and lived a number of years in the deep south. I don't need people younger, less informed, and likely less experienced than me giving me a lecture.

This is a U of L sports message board, we had a basketball coach arrested, and the head coach made a statement thereafter. Do I have to connect more dots for you?...

Im also African American btw. It does not surprise me that ours are the 2 opinions that you don't care about. I'd love for you to have some of my experiences. I could then remember to take the stance of not caring as you are harassed by the cops without cause.

Growing up in the deep south doesn't mean you know more. It makes it more and more likely you are part of the problem each time you post.

This is a UofL message board but some things are bigger than basketball. Imo this is one of them. I love UofL sports but we are talking about a man's life and you are complaining about BS. Each day we get more videos of police arresting people without real cause. Saying mean things to the cops isn't cause.

"Growing up in the deep south doesn't mean you know more. It makes it more and more likely you are part of the problem each time you post."

Where it all began after the civil war and release from bondage southerners could not except it.

Man I’m gonna be straight up, that sh!t hits me to the core. I’m sorry as an innocent child that you had to hear that horrible word. One thing that I can’t handle is a child’s innocence being lost, especially at the hands of evil, and that word is pure evil.

Man I’m gonna be straight up, that sh!t hits me to the core. I’m sorry as an innocent child that you had to hear that horrible word. One thing that I can’t handle is a child’s innocence being lost, especially at the hands of evil, and that word is pure evil.
If your a white person that has any black friends don't be afraid to engage in dialogue with that person. Ask them what experiences have they if any they encountered with racism. I think you will be very surprised some might just not want to say it to you. Thinking it might hurt the relationship just reinforce that if your genuine nothing will change with how you interact or feel with them.

I have had bad experiences with a white police officer and a black police officer, it is obvious there are good cops and bad cops. There are good white people and bad white people, there are good black people and bad black people. It is still wrong for you to stereotype whole races of people. As far as white privilege is concerned I have been towing the line since I was 13 years old. In order to make money and buy the things I want I worked for them, I didn’t use somebody else’s tragedy to break into stores and steal stuff.

Im also African American btw...
Not that that matters to me--it doesn't--and credit to you that I didn't know that already.

But as I said, your race doesn't matter. I saw the "white side" of this issue living in southern Georgia for 12 years. And after years of droning and self promoting by both sides, I couldn't care less about either side of this debate. You're all living in the past and trying to profit from it.

As long as people are different, there will be different bases for favoritism and discrimination. Welcome to humanity. The sooner you offload the resulting baggage you're carrying around, the sooner you'll make meaningful progress.

Fortunately in a free society and unshackled by the chains of political correctness, I can say these things without fear of reprisal. And I don't need an answer from anyone--I assure you that you're not changing my position...

Not that that matters to me--it doesn't--and credit to you that I didn't know that already.

But as I said, your race doesn't matter. I saw the "white side" of this issue living in southern Georgia for 12 years. And after years of droning and self promoting by both sides, I couldn't care less about either side of this debate. You're all living in the past and trying to profit from it.

As long as people are different, there will be different bases for favoritism and discrimination. Welcome to humanity. The sooner you offload the resulting baggage you're carrying around, the sooner you'll make meaningful progress.

Fortunately in a free society and unshackled by the chains of political correctness, I can say these things without fear of reprisal. And I don't need an answer from anyone--I assure you that you're not changing my position...

Its good to know that rather than trying to make things better we need to just suck it up and accept that we will be discriminated against. Thats the message that we need to tell our kids. The entire civil rights movement was pointless, she should have just accepted our situation.

I dont expect you to change your position but to accept that you are the problem. You cheer for black players but as something like a pet rather than a person. I cant imagine how stupid your black friends are if they really exist when you express this view and look at them as something less than you.

Its good to know that rather than trying to make things better we need to just suck it up and accept that we will be discriminated against. Thats the message that we need to tell our kids. The entire civil rights movement was pointless, she should have just accepted our situation.

I dont expect you to change your position but to accept that you are the problem. You cheer for black players but as something like a pet rather than a person. I cant imagine how stupid your black friends are if they really exist when you express this view and look at them as something less than you.
Well first of all you need better data than you have that “black lives matter” more to people OUTSIDE the black community.

90% of the black murder victims in this country came at the hands of black murderers. Pardon me as a non AA if I see that as the bigger issue.

(And rolling in the police, they’re more likely to be killed themselves by an AA than all other races combined...)

Maybe the downtown protests should start around 9th and Broadway, go west to around 40th St, and double back...

Keep trying to put words in my mouth...always works well for you.

Legit protesters--like our coach presumably--were standing alongside thugs and criminals. Along with that comes collateral damage. Shouldn't take a genius to figure that out...
Straight and to the point. I second this motion,

Well first of all you need better data than you have that “black lives matter” more to people OUTSIDE the black community.

90% of the black murder victims in this country came at the hands of black murderers. Pardon me as a non AA if I see that as the bigger issue.

(And rolling in the police, they’re more likely to be killed themselves by an AA than all other races combined...)

Maybe the downtown protests should start around 9th and Broadway, go west to around 40th St, and double back...

if i kill another black person on video, id go to jail. If a black person killed a cop on video they’d go under the jail.

Murder like pretty much all violent crime tends to be same race on same race as truly random murders are a small percentage of murders and people tend to congregate with their own races

none of that excuses the police who should be better than that.

im done with this argument with you either way. Life is too short to argue with a bigot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT