ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor-UConn

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
My goodness. These teams are strong, physical and athletic. The refs are allowing so much contact it is pretty ridiculous. However, UConn is showing me so much more than I thought they had. Both teams are scary.

I was glad UConn won Geno is a good guy but I don’t think as highly of Mulkey. You are right it was very physical and I expect our game to be as physical. The most physical team in the tournament to me was Maryland and I am glad they are out.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I think they said it was their 13th straight Final Four. What a dynasty! The Baylor player was fouled on the last play but it was close. They also would have won if they hit their free throws late.

The no foul call took me back to when we were robbed with the push on MHA! If we were to play in the championship game I think we match up better with UConn. The Baylor ladies were all big and physical. UConn tried to match their style. I think we would have the better guard play.

From everything I have read Stanford likes to get up and down which plays into our hand because we like temp and we are deep. Their starting post is a freshman and is thin. So I think we will match up well at the 5 spot. It will be interesting to see if Stanford goes small to match us or play another tall forward they only have 3 with any size (6'5, 6'4 & 6'3).

It was a foul but there were a lot of no calls in that game so They were consistent with the rest of the game. I also would rather matchup with UConn than Baylor.

The no foul call took me back to when we were robbed with the push on MHA! If we were to play in the championship game I think we match up better with UConn. The Baylor ladies were all big and physical. UConn tried to match their style. I think we would have the better guard play.

From everything I have read Stanford likes to get up and down which plays into our hand because we like temp and we are deep. Their starting post is a freshman and is thin. So I think we will match up well at the 5 spot. It will be interesting to see if Stanford goes small to match us or play another tall forward they only have 3 with any size (6'5, 6'4 & 6'3).
Except we had two bad calls at the end of that game. Within a minute of each other. As I remember a foul called on us and then a no call on Miss St.

• Angry
Reactions: real2it
I'm SICK that UConn won. I pull against them every game. The only way I'm able to sleep tonight is the fact that Kim Mulkey lost.

Officiating for Women’s BB a is legendary ...... and not in a good way. Inexcusable to have missed the multiple fouls on the last Baylor shot. I too prefer Geno over Kim, but it was an unjust ending to a great game.

I really can’t stand Kim Mulkey, I too love that she lost, but the way she lost isn’t right because it effects her players who have put in the work and deserved the refs to do their job. Those refs shouldn’t get paid for their services, but nothing will change.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
If you want to look at the major reason Baylor lost, let's look at the 19-0 run they let UConn go on.

Let's revisit the scenario:

Baylor had the ball down one with under 10 seconds left when guard DiJonai Carrington ran a pick-and-roll to get to the basket. Carrington attempted a potential game-winning shot in the final seconds, but she was met by two UConn defenders who wouldn’t let her get a good look at the basket. There was a lot of contact on the play, but the refs didn’t call a foul.

Carrington claims, Mulkey claims there were fouls to the head, to the arm. Video review shows there was contact. Maybe the refs swallowed the whistle, they'd been doing that a lot in the game. After all, Paige "Buckets" was nearly decapitated earlier in the game. No whistle

Look, I'm no fan of either Baylor or UConn. Never have been. But, let's look at it from this perspective. OK, you call the foul. Can you guarantee that Carrington hits the free throws?

Yes, it brought back memories of Myisha getting fouled in the Mississippi State game by Tearia McCowan. Even McCowan admitted she did it a couple of years later, when she was in the WNBA and her Indiana Fever were getting ready to play MHA's Washington Mystics squad. Jokingly. Like , yeah I got away with it. Once again, Could we have guaranteed Myisha would have hit any ensuing free throws?

Which brings me to the conclusion. A foul is not a foul unless a whistle is blown. That's the rules. (I would imagine the head of the NCAA WBB referees, Penny Davis, might place a call or send a message to the crew who called the game). Penny Davis has been the NCAA’s national coordinator of women’s basketball officiating for a coiple of years now, bringing with her over 22 years of officiating experience gathered at all levels of the game.

(Slightly off topic, Paulie and I have met her and she's a great gal. She knows there is a problem with WBB refs and she's committed to improving the quality of the officiating.)

It gives Mulkey a reason to whine and complain all off-season now.

Great.

Geno can always point to the refs and say, "If it was a foul, why isn't there a whistle?"

The drama is real. The foul was real. The game still goes on.

(And, what was the deal with Mulkey and the mask in the post-game? It's like, we've been wearing these things a while now, Kim. Still hven't figured out how to adjust it on your face? Now, that was comedy...

--sonja--

Last edited:
Like I said this was a physical game and Baylor was the more physical team. Baylor got away with a lot during this game. This seems to be the trend to let them play. We better buckle up and get ready for push & shove.

Allowing some contact is fine. It was a slugfest though and someone could have been hurt. These refs, at times, can’t seem to be consistent at all. Plus, they have demonstrated on more than one occasion they are afraid of making the tough call. One second on the clock and the foul is committed-blow your whistle. As Sonja mentioned...does the player hit the FTs? Maybe not. But, they deserve the chance to shoot the FTS.

Actually Sonja, there are always a few calls and non-calls in all games, this Baylor/UConn was no exception; but in this instance, it was just this one non-call at the end of the game that affected the outcome and so much more.

It was obvious to everyone who witnessed in real time that there was more than sufficient evidence of a foul; the video replay only confirmed the extent of contact that demands more outrage over negligence on the part of the officials.
Your inference “that it is only a foul if the official blows the whistle” is wrong. To the contrary, it was a foul, it was simply not whistled. The injustice to Baylor is huge and to a much less degree to UConn, as most will discount their advancing.

The more focus on the error, and applying accountability to those responsible, is the only way anything will ever be done to clean up the inferior level of officiating in women’s basketball.

Just like the non-call on MHA vs Ms St. The lack of any guts or integrity by those refs may have cost is a National Championship.

I was surprised in the Indiana vs Arizona game they called several moving screen calls. That is something that goes on in every women’s and it never gets called.

Louisville likely has the strongest player in the country in Olivia Cochran. No team in the country should be able to push us around.

Louisville likely has the strongest player in the country in Olivia Cochran. No team in the country should be able to push us around.
As much as I would love for that to true...she isn’t. In time could she be? Absolutely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT