ADVERTISEMENT

Backwards K's

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
As many k's as our pitchers have this season,I'd be lying if I didn't think that our hitters sit and watch far too many with 2 strikes. The fellas will have to improve going forward if we're to become the team we could become.

Their Friday and Saturday starters are legit MLB, not arms but pitchers. The way they work hitters is very impressive. They tie hitters into knots. Both have good fastballs that they can locate with legit off speed stuff. As a hitter I would be super agressive early in the count because I know they will be around the plate.

College hitting especially in this era is brutally in the favor of the pitchers. In the ACC/SEC everyone is in the low 90's with decent stuff. The Duke pitcher yesterday was really good. A terrific change which is by far the hardest pitch to hit at this level because there just are many guys that have that kind of control. He kept is fastball down which was really effective because if his change. The biggest issue with this group is too many unproductive bats in key spots. You can't go down looking with a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs find a way to put the ball in play.

This is the deepest the pitching staff in the McDonald era, can they generate 4-5 runs a game? If so they are going to be really good.

I agree with everything you say. The kid for them was outstanding,really had that changeup working. I've seen this with our team in the past against great pitching.

If this group of Cards is to surpass those before it,the ones that merely crashed the party out in Omaha,they will have to become better with 2 strikes.

Look for the Cards to sweep Duke today! Why you say? Overall pitching staffs. Cards will send out a starter/relievers today that will do enough to keep the Dukies under 4 runs. Dukies on the other hand do not have that type depth on the mound! Cards bats will ding early, and often ringing up about 8 to 10 runs! Go Cards!

Was there ever a deeper staff than Rogers funkhouser McKay And wasn’t McClure mid week?

Was there ever a deeper staff than Rogers funkhouser McKay And wasn’t McClure mid week?
I think for starting pitchers...no.
Our bullpen this season might be the best ever. The Frosh will determine that.

Hard to argue against that rotation, but Bennett and Detmers are dominate they are comparable to McKay and Funk. Rogers is way ahead, but it is early. Midweek the Smith kid is good, we will have to see if he is as good a McClure. Miller is kind of a wild card with all the Freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT