ADVERTISEMENT

App State vs GaSouthern 2018 - Defense not equipped

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
The Bryan Brown defense is not well equipped to face a power running team. App State got their ass beat by GaSouthern last year (and this year). That’s gonna be an issue with a 3 man front defense, especially one that lacks many P5 quality defensive linemen. Clearly Brown needs to better adjust his scheme to face a power running team. We did modestly ok against BC but still allowed 250 yards rushing in that game.

The concern with their scheme is they prefer the smaller quicker lines. I am not sure that will hold up in the ACC. Time will tell if they can effectively recruit to their scheme.

Let's see if there are off season changes/adjustments.

It's not like these guys are morons.

They can see the scores, they can see the stats. They see everything this board has pointed out.

Ipartied, I triple like this post.

I’m not sure how to build a defense that can deal with spread, air-raid type of offense AND deal with a power running attack. Seems like you have to choose.

Coaching defense in college is an incredibly hard job. Not enough time to teach. I think we all underestimate the importance of coaching continuity in the college game. The schools that are able maintain really good staffs tend to do well. The difference between Saban and Dabo is Dabo doesn’t lose staff. Saban gets raided every year. It is starting to impact their play. Once Smart left things changed. Say what you want about Stoops he doesn’t lose staff.

I am not sure about the Louisville defensive staff because they are very young. I liked how the kids played for the year. They gave it what they had. We just have to see how they recruit and what kind of incremental improvements they make over the next 3-4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT