ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing Offensive Output

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
For the first time in school history, Louisville has six players with 100 yards rushing, receiving, or passing. That’s big time contributions from 6 different players.

Micale Cunningham - 288 pass

Javian Hawkins - 172 rush

Seth Dawkins - 170 receiving

Evan Conley - 140 pass

Tutu Atwell - 110 receiving

Dez Fitzpatrick - 108 receiving

I found the output by 3 different WR's refreshing. It's been a while since we've seen that.

It is possible BC has some real problems of their own, but it is good to see UofL is functioning and capable of taking advantage of an opponent's weaknesses.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
For the first time in school history, Louisville has six players with 100 yards rushing, receiving, or passing. That’s big time contributions from 6 different players.

Micale Cunningham - 288 pass

Javian Hawkins - 172 rush

Seth Dawkins - 170 receiving

Evan Conley - 140 pass

Tutu Atwell - 110 receiving

Dez Fitzpatrick - 108 receiving
Amazing how quickly this staff put the players with a new offensive system and getting this type of result this fast. I’m impressed.

BC is now averaging 476 ypg in total defense.

This week's statistical rankings haven't been updated yet. But that yardage per game would have ranked BC 121st out of 130 teams nationally thru games completed last week.

Suffice to say, not a good defense we played today...

We can only play who we’re scheduled to play.

We can’t ask for “better” opponents.

If we can beat them I don’t care where they rank.

Winning beats losing. ESPECIALLY if the other team sucks. :p
Agreed. I'm simply not gonna start praising the offensive machine we witnessed today. Show that kinda offense against some better defenses on our schedule, and we've got something...

Agreed. I'm simply not gonna start praising the offensive machine we witnessed today. Show that kinda offense against some better defenses on our schedule, and we've got something...
This offense is a lot better than last years regardless of the opponent. Trending in the right direction.

Reactions: cardfan16
This offense is a lot better than last years regardless of the opponent. Trending in the right direction.
Our offensive stats thru the first four games were marginally better year over year against inferior defenses...

last year through 4 games we averaged 387 yds and 17 points a game. This year we have averaged 30 pts and 435 yds per game. Thats a little more than marginal to me. Remember that doesnt count todays game
50 yards per game don't equate to two TDs. One set of scoring data are over/under stated.

You're also not accounting for the defenses we have played. Check total defense...

50 yards per game don't equate to two TDs. One set of scoring data are over/under stated.

You're also not accounting for the defenses we have played. Check total defense...
This year we played EKU and Notre Dame vs Alabama and Indian State with Fla St. being at home last year. 50 yds doesnt equal 2 TDs a game but 13 points is almost close to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocards1987
This year we played EKU and Notre Dame vs Alabama and Indian State last year with Fla St. being at home last year. 50 yds doesnt equal 2 TDs a game but 13 points is almost close to it.
I looked at total defensive stats last week. Both years we played three FBS teams the first four games. The average defensive rank last year for those teams was in the 30s, this year in the 70s. It was about a 2X difference in ranking.

50 yards of offense considering that difference is not significant IMO--anymore than today's performance was against one of the worst FBS defenses. We don't need to settle this debate now. In a few weeks, we'll be playing a lot better defenses...

We surpassed what they gave up on average. Good defense or not we put up a lot of points and had a good offensive showing. Dont think the offense last year would have done anywhere near as well.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
It doesn’t count unless it’s proven beyond refutable mathematical data. Boy, you must have played the game at the college level. I’d love to hear you say this load of xxxx in the locker room after a game. You’d definitely be welcome there.

It doesn’t count unless it’s proven beyond refutable mathematical data. Boy, you must have played the game at the college level. I’d love to hear you say this load of xxxx in the locker room after a game. You’d definitely be welcome there.
Players. coaches, and fans say and believe a lotta things. Your point?...

We surpassed what they gave up on average. Good defense or not we put up a lot of points and had a good offensive showing. Dont think the offense last year would have done anywhere near as well.
And I'll bet without checking we gave up a lot more than they "surpass on average".

The beauty of one data point in drawing conclusions...

And I'll bet without checking we gave up a lot more than they "surpass on average".

The beauty of one data point in drawing conclusions...

The offense looked good today. Bad defense or not its a fact. There is no conclusions being drawn for the season. You simply cant handle any new regime hires getting praise so you have to come and crap on any accomplishments

Reactions: teamcanada
BC is now averaging 476 ypg in total defense.

This week's statistical rankings haven't been updated yet. But that yardage per game would have ranked BC 121st out of 130 teams nationally thru games completed last week.

Suffice to say, not a good defense we played today...

Actually before yesterday’s game they ranked 104 not 121 get your facts straight. 438.6 ypg
was what BC was giving up before yesterday, so if you’re updated total defense # of 476 ypg is accurate (which honestly is hard to trust with you and your flawed numbers system) then we moved their avg by 37 points in one game...nice. Thanks for bringing all this up man!

I’m just glad to get the win Zip aren’t you? Hell we got beat by 3 scores by this team last year, but we won this year buddy! And weren’t we on like a 9 game ACC losing streak Zippy? Whew, needed that one pal.

Last edited:
Players. coaches, and fans say and believe a lotta things. Your point?...
Players, coaches, and most fans are usually on the same side. I still haven’t understood your ‘point’ as of yet. Though it seems it was such a burden for you to be at a game watching a team you support win a game. Here’s hoping that some day us coaches, players, and fans can deliver something YOU can be proud of.

Last edited:
The offense looked good today. Bad defense or not its a fact. There is no conclusions being drawn for the season. You simply cant handle any new regime hires getting praise so you have to come and crap on any accomplishments
You’re worse at psychoanalysis than data analysis...

Learn to read... 476 ypg would have ranked 121st last week. Updated rankings nationally should be close to that.

I was glad to go see the game. Where were you?...
So if he’s unable to be at the game, he’s not worthy to be a UL fan? My ma was a widow back in the day living on fixed income from the railroad. She couldn’t make it to away games nor the bowl and some home games, but she was a fan and my number one supporter. Are you questioning her and others similar? Why do you feel the need to disparage others that wear the red on their sleeves?

I think Zipp feels like his "fanhood" is doubted so he's giving it back to others.

Zipp is a huge UofL fan.

And so is every other non poser that posts here.

We can probably squash the fan card thing - those are just personal jabs that lead to off topic debate that's probably not necessary. Not that I'm a mod.

I know people that never attended UofL that care more about UofL sports teams than I do, and I'm a grad and pretty passionate.

Reactions: zipp and Slam2121
Learn to read... 476 ypg would have ranked 121st last week. Updated rankings nationally should be close to that.

I was glad to go see the game. Where were you?...

You’re the one having the trouble goof ball. According to NCAA statistics before yesterday’s game they were avg 438 ypg which ranked them at 104. Why would you use their updated yardage, which would be their yardage after they played us, to compare them to last week’s rating? Just calling out your flawed logic, like always.

I have a 5 month old and the wife was working, what can I say, couldn’t make it yesterday.

I’ve been a season ticket holder, went to plenty of away games, been to a couple liberty bowls, been to our last two final fours. I’d say I’m a pretty loyal fan.

Last edited:
Why do you feel the need to disparage others that wear the red on their sleeves?

Because that’s all he’s got. The thread started out pointing out an historical feat that has never been done in the history of UofL football. The guy immediately points out how bad the defense was that we played, as if we have never played a defense that bad. Just can’t let us have a little glory.

Yep, we beat a team with a bad defense. That is what we are supposed to and with no apologies to any fans for doing so. BTW, here are a few facts. We had 170 yards of passing offense and 47 yards rushing against BC last year. We also had lost to them two years in a row. Analysis, we did not beat Clemson but we are 3 and2 on the season. Much improved except defensively. Wow does our secondary look lost out there. For the third game in a row we gave up and long TD pass to a Tight End who was wide open across the middle....how does that happen three games in a row.

Yep, we beat a team with a bad defense. That is what we are supposed to and with no apologies to any fans for doing so. BTW, here are a few facts. We had 170 yards of passing offense and 47 yards rushing against BC last year. We also had lost to them two years in a row. Analysis, we did not beat Clemson but we are 3 and2 on the season. Much improved except defensively. Wow does our secondary look lost out there. For the third game in a row we gave up and long TD pass to a Tight End who was wide open across the middle....how does that happen three games in a row.
Did you know a player at PRP named Jaggers (sp) from the 80’s? I did get a chance to know Spillman. He was fun to watch.

Against BC, it happened because we were focused on “run fit”, and blitzing to limit Dillon and Bailey’s rushing yardage. For the most part we succeeded in doing that, but Brown and even his backup were very good, accurate passers, and their offensive line is very good at picking up the blitzes.

It’s not likely to get much better against Wake, Clemson, or Virginia, because they all have outstanding QB’s ... but it might against NC State, Syracuse and UK.

Reactions: cardfan16
Against BC, it happened because we were focused on “run fit”, and blitzing to limit Dillon and Bailey’s rushing yardage. For the most part we succeeded in doing that, but Brown and even his backup were very good, accurate passers, and their offensive line is very good at picking up the blitzes.

It’s not likely to get much better against Wake, Clemson, or Virginia, because they all have outstanding QB’s ... but it might against NC State, Syracuse and UK.
This team will surprise. I think the experience from BC will go a long way. The LB’s played their arses off. Loved the way they plugged the holes. Yes, some yardages occurred, but the physical play was there. They’ll improve.

DB’s are still out of position and not closing in fast enough yet, but that’s due to not understanding coverages fully nor reading the QB. Are we not using a few walk-ons too? If yes, just amazing the job the coach is doing calling plays to give us the best chance of getting off the field.

The best part is watching the rise! Enjoy this, games will be intense, and it’s exciting to say the least seeing the swagger and continued confidence building like we saw against BC.

Reactions: PushupMan
BC's defense was ranked 65th in FBS last year, and they're around 120th this year thru games this weekend. They looked pretty slow defensively, and our team speed is good...

I feel the need to root out hypocrites. People who criticize others for their fan support while sitting at home from a game I'm attending. One of many games.

Unable to attend but able to post on the internet? LOL. And "fixed income" is an excuse in 2019. What do you think the get-in price was for this game?...

ecstasy-pregame.jpg
At least 50% of the time, I see someone attending a UofL home football or basketball game draped in uk gear. Does anyone think that person is a Louisville fan?

I mean they must be, they’re at the game...o_O

Sounds to me like you're a sl. illiterate guy watching his wife work while playing on the interweb and flapping his gums. You oughta get out more...

Lol, you don’t realize how dumb the things are that you say, it’s quite comical. Accusing me of playing on the internet and flapping my gums while you sit there and play on the internet and flap your gums. I average around 50 posts a year compared to your 2500...seems like you should take your own advice on getting out more.

Sounds to me like you're a sl. illiterate guy watching his wife work

Your lack of intelligence is legendary. You know zero about my personal situation. Do you suppose I chain my wife up in the house and not let her go to a job she enjoys? Or better yet, I should just make her stay home and watch my baby while I go to the game so I can be a super fan like you.

I feel the need to root out hypocrites. People who criticize others for their fan support while sitting at home from a game I'm attending. One of many games.

Unable to attend but able to post on the internet? LOL. And "fixed income" is an excuse in 2019. What do you think the get-in price was for this game?...

ecstasy-pregame.jpg
It’s called a smart phone. Yes, I can post during games just as easily as posting just about anywhere else.

Once upon a time, we played in front of crowds much smaller than this at Cardinal Stadium. And we were humble but hungry. The crowd that was there was rock’n. We played with a chip on our shoulders and believed in the dream of something better. True, we are on the ropes now just as we were then, but lookit. Ali was on the ropes too in fights throughout his career. Just like him, we fought our way through it, got off the ropes, and built something that provided excitement for all fans, including you. Prestigious bowl wins, a Heisman Trophy winner, NFL leaders, and a true campus stadium that you spent a beautiful Saturday in while watching kids line up in red with one common goal, to win.

Yes, we are on that rope again, but the fight is there and so is that hunger. I enjoyed the victory Saturday as I always have. By being humble and believing, there’ll be many goals and more dreams achieved. It’s an extraordinary time. Yes it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: PHCARD
I looked at total defensive stats last week. Both years we played three FBS teams the first four games. The average defensive rank last year for those teams was in the 30s, this year in the 70s. It was about a 2X difference in ranking.

50 yards of offense considering that difference is not significant IMO--anymore than today's performance was against one of the worst FBS defenses. We don't need to settle this debate now. In a few weeks, we'll be playing a lot better defenses...
All you can do is play the teams on your schedule and do the best you can against them!

It’s easy to understand your Posts/Likes Ratio! I’m a Bama alum with a Cards interest, and I thought we had some negative Nancies on our boards but you take the grand prize! You have a real gift for finding a black lining in every silver cloud! Then hide behind the “facts.” The only “fact” or “stat” that ultimately matters is the scoreboard!

Go Cards and Roll Tide!

You could say the same thing for 5-0 Wake Forest racking up wins against bad defenses using that logic and they have less ypg than we do.

WF is ranked 13 in the nation for total offense, UL is 20th.

In WFs last three games ypg is 463 vs UL 496.

Both teams played BC as their last opponent.

WF ypg was 440 and they scored less points on BC than we did. UL ypg 664 with a banged up QBs.

That being said.

I LOVE this new Offense and I love the new POSITIVE culture CSS is instilling, the players have all obviously bought in.

I'm damn glad to have CSS and his staff here and I'm sure as hell happy to see Vince putting some integrity back into the UL sports programs.

ecstasy-pregame.jpg

I've been reading your posts about this team, and the University as a whole and it's really hard for me to tell that you support anything about UL.

From where I sit your either a cayut fan in disguise or your a UL fan that is no better than a blueneck.

Reactions: Art79
I've been reading your posts about this team, and the University as a whole and it's really hard for me to tell that you support anything about UL.

From where I sit your either a cayut fan in disguise or your a UL fan that is no better than a blueneck.
Thanks for raising this issue. I’m a fan, not a fanboy. One is maybe a graduate, probably a donor who attends games, thinks with his head, and tries to look at things rationally and unemotionally. The other thinks with something other than his brain, looks at things superficially and optimistically, and believes real fans think like he does. A few people here try to blur those important distinctions...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT