ADVERTISEMENT

After We beat UVA we will be 3-1

Well in order to get to 3-1, the run defense HAS to step up or Jordan Ellis is going to run wild on the Cards. He is a senior RB who has tore it up early this year. Ellis has 51 carries for 380 yards and 5 touchdowns in 3 games.

The run defense MUST be better for the Cards to come out with a win.

As I have said, they can put up 50 points on us.
I agree. Our secondary concerns me but the real worry is our run defense.

Bryce Perkins has played well too. He has a 64% completion rate and 7 TD passes in 3 games. He is capable of burning our secondary if we can't get pressure on him. He also runs well. 239 yards and 2 TD's rushing.

This is going to be a very difficult game to win.

Reactions: wilkie01
I agree. Our secondary concerns me but the real worry is our run defense.

Bryce Perkins has played well too. He has a 64% completion rate and 7 TD passes in 3 games. He is capable of burning our secondary if we can't get pressure on him. He also runs well. 239 yards and 2 TD's rushing.

This is going to be a very difficult game to win.
They’re all difficult in one way or another.

I don’t care if they get 50 as long as MC can get us 51 ;)

UVA scores 40+ in wins against Richmond and Ohio. They scored 16 in a loss to IU. Louisville’s defense gave up 51 to an NFL team, 7 to Indiana St and 17 to WKU. I haven’t seen UVA play but their record doesn’t leave me quaking in my boots. I’m most concerned about our offense. Our defensive issues with ISU and WKU were exacerbated by the inability of our offense to do anything early in those games resulting in the defense staying on the field. ISU didn’t score after Cunningham came in. WKU scored 10 after Cunningham entered but 7 of those came on a short field after Bobby went for it on 4th down at our own 30.
I think the Cards and UVA are pretty evenly matched but starting Cunningham might be the spark that results in Louisville playing to its potential for a full game.

Just watched the WKU game replay, and quite honestly I saw a lot to like. Young guys on defense (Hicks, Peterson, Caban, Abdullah, Character, Blue, Dumervil-Jean, Boykin, Avery, Jackson, Smith ....) making plays all over the place in that second half. And an offense that found a running back, a QB, and a center during those last three quarters.

If we can carry that momentum over to Saturday, I think we will beat Virginia.

Last edited:
As I have said, they can put up 50 points on us.
Agree and I will also point out:

1) UVA coach can score and his time at BYU proves so.
2) Since we join the ACC, Louisville has struggled with UVA.
3) We are 5 point dogs to UVA.
4) Not only is thier passing game good, but they can run the ball very effectively.
5) Our defense struggled stopping Indiana State's and WKU's running game.
6) We are killing ourselves with stupid penalties and intention to what is going on in the game.
7) Coaching staff acts confused on the sidelines.
8) The whole teams needs play hard every play at full speed.

It is become put up or shut up Saturday for both the coaching staff and the players!

Preseason Phil Steele ACC Unit rankings:
QB: UofL 9th > UVa 13th
RB: UofL 8th > UVa 13th
REC: UofL 1st > UVa 11th
OL: UofL 6th > UVa 14th
DL: UofL 7th > UVa 12th
LB: UofL 7th = UVa 7th
DB: UVa 5th > UofL 9th
ST: UVa 4th = UofL 4th
Coaching: UofL 4th > UVa 11th

Notable preseason all conference performers:
Louisville:
1st team: WR Jaylen Smith (#19 draft eligible WR)
2nd team: WR Dez Fitzpatrick (#8 draft eligible WR)
2nd team: LB Dorian Etheridge
2nd team: K Blanton Creque (#10 draft eligible kicker)
3rd team: OL Mekhi Becton
3rd team: P Mason King
4th team: TE Kemari Averitt
4th team: CB PJ Mbanasor

Also: Seth Dawkins, #65 draft eligible WR, Jordan Davis #48 draft eligible TE, Mickey Crum #54 draft eligible TE, Robbie Bell #23 draft eligible center, #73 DT G.G. Robinson

Virginia:
2nd team S Juan Thornhill
2nd team KR Joe Reed (#8 draft eligible KR)
3rd team WR Olamide Zacheaus
4th team C Dillon Reinkensmeyer
4th team CB Tim Harris

However ... just to show that different people are putting together different parts of Phil's magazine, it should be noted that Virginia's Bryce Hall is the #22 draft eligible cornerback (but not anywhere on the ACC all Conference list), and that Virginia's Brenton Nelson is listed as the #9 draft eligible Strong Safety (ahead of Juan Thornhill who is #12).
Also: #97 draft eligible guard Jake Fieler
#40 draft eligible DT Eli Hanback
#20 draft eligible OLB Chris Peace
#19 draft eligible P Lester Coleman

Do you like UVA as the crossover or would you rather have Pitt? I dislike playing Syracuse. I wish they'd swap: Pitt/UL = SU/UVA.

Do you like UVA as the crossover or would you rather have Pitt? I dislike playing Syracuse. I wish they'd swap: Pitt/UL = SU/UVA.

Rather UofL played anybody but VA as the permanent crossover.
Having to play these number 1 seed chokers twice in basketball is like having your teeth pulled-without pain relief !

Will need to wait a few years until ACC changes things. Probably at LEAST 5 or 6 years. I don't mind Virginia. They are not going to give us Miami or VT. And frankly I don't want UNC. And GT doesn't want us at all. They hate us. Pitt would be OK. But all that's many years in the future.

Reactions: wilkie01
To win this game we will have to play much better than we have so far. If we don't show some major improvement it won't be that close.

To win this game we will have to play much better than we have so far. If we don't show some major improvement it won't be that close.

Finally, we can agree on something. I’ll go onto say that with Malik, i think we’re heading in the right direction, maybe we’ll start to get some kind of stability with the offense, and hopefully open up our running game.

I think some of you are giving Virginia too much credit here. I watched them play Ohio, and they looked good while getting a lead, then they reverted to playing pretty crappy football and actually let Ohio get back in the game. They lost to a bad Indiana football team and played about like we did versus Indiana State when they beat FCS Richmond.

Their fairly obvious advantages in this game are that they are playing at home, that UofL is an inexperienced football team, and that we are even younger on defense without star defensive players Etheridge and Greenard.

Petrino used games 2 and 3 to find the winning formula with this very young team, and that effort was hampered by horrible weather conditions versus Indiana State and versus WKU with the injuries mentioned above. I expect to see an improved product on Saturday now that he has settled on a QB, and I think this team will continue to improve as the season goes on, and this young team grows up.

I expect to see an improved product on Saturday now that he has settled on a QB
The offense has never really been a big concern. I think we can all agree that Petrino will get that side of the ball figured out. The defense, more directly, the run defense is a HUGE concern especially in this game. You have a duel threat QB AND a senior RB who has looked solid in their first 3 games. If the run defense doesn't step up, we're going to get destroyed on the ground.

I think some of you are giving Virginia too much credit here. I watched them play Ohio, and they looked good while getting a lead, then they reverted to playing pretty crappy football and actually let Ohio get back in the game. They lost to a bad Indiana football team and played about like we did versus Indiana State when they beat FCS Richmond.

Their fairly obvious advantages in this game are that they are playing at home, that UofL is an inexperienced football team, and that we are even younger on defense without star defensive players Etheridge and Greenard.

Petrino used games 2 and 3 to find the winning formula with this very young team, and that effort was hampered by horrible weather conditions versus Indiana State and versus WKU with the injuries mentioned above. I expect to see an improved product on Saturday now that he has settled on a QB, and I think this team will continue to improve as the season goes on, and this young team grows up.

I do not think it's that some are giving Virginia too much credit. I think most are in a I will believe it when I see it approach at this point.

The Cards have looked bad and I'm not sure I agree that Coach BP used "games 2 and 3 to find the winning formula." I think he would or has said differently himself. This was not the original plan. There is a soundbite of Nick Petrino talking about how they threw Cunningham in and just reverted back to the Lamar Jackson style offense. It's an interesting clip. I'm not sure they have settled on a QB.

If I'm UVA, I'm loading the box and forcing Malik Cunningham to beat me with his arm. He's proven he can make some plays downfield so I will not be surprised to see him complete some downfield throws.

The line appears to be hanging around -5 UVA with a 54/54.5 over/under. Looking like it may be a 24-30 type of game.

If I'm UVA, I'm loading the box and forcing Malik Cunningham to beat me with his arm. He's proven he can make some plays downfield so I will not be surprised to see him complete some downfield throws.

I'd actually like to see UVA do just that, because I don't expect Fitzpatrick, Dawkins and especially Smith to have as bad of a game as they did in the last two. I actually think we torch that Virginia defense if they try that.

I know the temptation would be to force him to throw the ball, figuring he's going to make mistakes and miss plays when you do that. But committing more people to stop the run means you leave one of those receivers open. If you do that, the drives are going to be very short, and are going to result in long TD pass plays.

With a young QB and an erratic, mistake-prone offense, you're better off making them prove that they can sustain a long drive. Eventually they make a mistake that kills the drive. So my expectation is that Virginia will use that strategy, letting Cunningham run the ball.

The offense has never really been a big concern. I think we can all agree that Petrino will get that side of the ball figured out.
I am not really confident in the offense at this point or in 2.0's ability to straighten it out. Without Jackson's near super human running ability the last couple of years, our offense then would have looked almost as bad as it does now. This no more looks a real Petrino offense than the defense looks like Alabama. There is something very wrong from top to bottom.

I am okay with Virginia and would also like Virginia Tech as a cross division rival, but I do really prefer Pitt as well. We were developing a pretty good rivalry back as independents and then as members of the Big East. Plus watching October games at Heinz Field is just an awesome experience.

I am not really confident in the offense at this point or in 2.0's ability to straighten it out. Without Jackson's near super human running ability the last couple of years, our offense then would have looked almost as bad as it does now. This no more looks a real Petrino offense than the defense looks like Alabama. There is something very wrong from top to bottom.
Yeah, I should have said "I think we can all agree SANS MikeMcCammom and possibly a few other, that Petrino will get that side of the ball figured out."

Your opinion about the UofL head football coach is crystal clear. You really don't need to remind anyone where you stand. Anyone who comes here knows within a few moments how you feel.

Yeah, I should have said "I think we can all agree SANS MikeMcCammom and possibly a few other, that Petrino will get that side of the ball figured out."

Your opinion about the UofL head football coach is crystal clear. You really don't need to remind anyone where you stand. Anyone who comes here knows within a few moments how you feel.

I would have not even commented on your post except you claimed we are all in agreement that Petrino will fix it. There is just no reason to believe that if you accept the fact that 1.0 is dead and gone and won't be coming back. Why are the people who see reality the bad guys and the people who employ wishful thinking the good guys?

I'd actually like to see UVA do just that, because I don't expect Fitzpatrick, Dawkins and especially Smith to have as bad of a game as they did in the last two. I actually think we torch that Virginia defense if they try that.

I know the temptation would be to force him to throw the ball, figuring he's going to make mistakes and miss plays when you do that. But committing more people to stop the run means you leave one of those receivers open. If you do that, the drives are going to be very short, and are going to result in long TD pass plays.

With a young QB and an erratic, mistake-prone offense, you're better off making them prove that they can sustain a long drive. Eventually they make a mistake that kills the drive. So my expectation is that Virginia will use that strategy, letting Cunningham run the ball.

We will see. The receivers have not shown the ability to get separation or just simply catch the ball at times. Have to think they play better in this game. I’m not sure they can play any worse.

Still not really sure what we have in Cunningham.

We find out tomorrow afternoon.

I would have not even commented on your post except you claimed we are all in agreement that Petrino will fix it. There is just no reason to believe that if you accept the fact that 1.0 is dead and gone and won't be coming back. Why are the people who see reality the bad guys and the people who employ wishful thinking the good guys?
And again....so what?

He’s not going anywhere this year or next unless HE takes another job, or quits. No matter how mad you get, or what arguments you make.

Money says so.

And again....so what?

He’s not going anywhere this year or next unless HE takes another job, or quits. No matter how mad you get, or what arguments you make.

Money says so.
So? Does that mean we can't say the truth? Are we supposed to say he is doing a great job even though he really isn't?

So? Does that mean we can't say the truth? Are we supposed to say he is doing a great job even though he really isn't?
No, you can say what you want within the rules of the board. Nobody should ever be censored. Ever. Still everyone knows where you stand, so chances are most don't even take the time to read your posts any longer. We know what you're going to say.

Go CARDS!!!

Reactions: nccardfan
Its a shame when people are so invested in their own opinion that when they are proven wrong they just want to hide.
We all have opinions which may or may not be correct, but it's not investing in anything. It's just making a personal opinion public.

Your opinion was made public a very long time ago. That was all I was saying.

Go CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT