ADVERTISEMENT

After reading the crap journal

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
I don't know if anybody has been reading the the local garbage they call the Courier Journal but it doesn't sound good for our athletic program. They have had a couple of articles the past couple of days saying that David Grissom is the sheriff who is going to clean up the Louisville athletic program. Grissom says that his main concern is academics not athletics.
I hope Padgett works out because I don't think we would pursue somebody like Donovan, Marshal or Mack. We would probably go after a MAC coach who was unproven, somebody whose dad is a friend of Grissom.

Reactions: leon_lou
I don't know if anybody has been reading the the local garbage they call the Courier Journal but it doesn't sound good for our athletic program. They have had a couple of articles the past couple of days saying that David Grissom is the sheriff who is going to clean up the Louisville athletic program. Grissom says that his main concern is academics not athletics.
I hope Padgett works out because I don't think we would pursue somebody like Donovan, Marshal or Mack. We would probably go after a MAC coach who was unproven, somebody whose dad is a friend of Grissom.
Grissom would have to go into hiding like McGee if he screws up our sports, there is no way he would be able to go out in public around here. That isn’t a threat by me, that is reality.

Grissom would have to go into hiding like McGee if he screws up our sports, there is no way he would be able to go out in public around here. That isn’t a threat by me, that is reality.

It is reality that moron doesn’t understand that athletics is what drove academics forward.

I think you can have both if you have the right people in charge. We don't need someone like Grissom who doesn't understand that. I wish he would take that mindset to Lexington and tell them they can no longer operate a one & done program because it does not promote an academic atmosphere.

I think you can have both if you have the right people in charge. We don't need someone like Grissom who doesn't understand that. I wish he would take that mindset to Lexington and tell them they can no longer operate a one & done program because it does not promote an academic atmosphere.

You can have both. And they can both be run honestly and proper oversight. And they can both be run free of scandal. Hopefully those are his priorities.

Reactions: American Male
Grissom's a zero sum guy, not a synergy guy. It's that simple.

The way you increase the ratio is reduce the denominator, not increase the numerator...

You can have both. And they can both be run honestly and proper oversight. And they can both be run free of scandal. Hopefully those are his priorities.

You do realize that BB was the only sport with issues right? Or do you think BB is the only sport we play at UofL. Because when you speak of athletics you act as if every sport was cheating or full of scandals. Which just isn’t true. Only one out of 22.

But I agree you can have both strong academics and athletics. So Academia needs to step up athletics has been pulling them along. Athletics certainly has not been preventing them from moving forward. In fact without athletics we would sit be a commuter school.

You do realize that BB was the only sport with issues right? Or do you think BB is the only sport we play at UofL. Because when you speak of athletics you act as if every sport was cheating or full of scandals. Which just isn’t true. Only one out of 22.

But I agree you can have both strong academics and athletics. So Academia needs to step up athletics has been pulling them along. Athletics certainly has not been preventing them from moving forward. In fact without athletics we would sit be a commuter school.

The ULAA was a mess.

The ULAA was a mess.

I don’t agree with that not one bit. Other than BB I haven’t heard any evidence to support that.

...you can have both strong academics and athletics. So Academia needs to step up athletics has been pulling them along. Athletics certainly has not been preventing them from moving forward. In fact without athletics we would sit be a commuter school.
AND athletics adds about 1,000 students and $30 million to U of L and its bank account. I don't hear Postel and Grissom's plan to replace that.

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

It wasn’t a sustainable situation
Academics at UofL have skyrocketed, lol. Is there some argument with this?? We produce more Fulbright Scholars than all of the rest of Kentucky colleges combined. The ACT scores are above the national average after a sustained and long period serving as an urban university only. Ramsey upped the profile like no one's ever has, ditto Jurich.

Gonzaga U wants to build a statue of Mark Few because of what the hoops program did for the overall health of the university.

If you are going to jump on a bandwagon, you should at least have some idea of what you are joining.

Academics at UofL have skyrocketed, lol. Is there some argument with this?? We produce more Fulbright Scholars than all of the rest of Kentucky colleges combined. The ACT scores are above the national average after a sustained and long period serving as an urban university only. Ramsey upped the profile like no one's ever has, ditto Jurich.

Gonzaga U wants to build a statue of Mark Few because of what the hoops program did for the overall health of the university.

If you are going to jump on a bandwagon, you should at least have some idea of what you are joining.
Financial problems with the foundation, ULAA, scandals and NCAA pretty much diminished the fired president, basketball coach and AD.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Donors had become disgusted with what was happening with Papa John expressing it. Hopefully the NCAA will consider the dismissals of the president, AD and basketball coach as courses of corrective action.The purpose of the university is to serve students and student athletes, not to fill the pockets of those in a position of responsibility. Accountability is necessary, and Coach Padgett, President Postel and AD Tyra have restored it with dignity. Hopefully the NCAA will consider this.

I have two posts I am copying and pasting for the edification of those who choose to think about these larger issues on campus before now. I see a lot of unusually venomous claims made towards persons who suddenly have fallen out of favor - usually with the teeth of a UK fan. (which is none) From a friend on another board:

"The purpose of non-profit foundations, established to support universities that are "public" (read: government owned and run) is to allow donors to support the university without having officials - politicians or bureaucrats - control, and skim off a share of, their donations. It's also more efficient, to say the least, to have a foundation handle contracts or deals involving land, construction, and corporate sponsorship. Land owned by the university - such as UofL's Shelby campus - could be productively turned into a profitable asset only by a private foundation controlled by the university. A presence downtown, other than the health center, for the business school, or a cooperative undertaking between the university and a corporation, could not be achieved if there were not some non-political entity involved. This is the function of a University foundation. It's to give those responsible for operating and growing the institution a means to expand and improve its core functions while seeking to increase its long term endowment as a hedge against lower support from state funds and tuition. A foundation directed aggressively to do these things will almost assuredly get involved in projects and activities that private investors and entrepreneurs - such as Blue - covet for themselves. It is not only Louisville and UofL that has dealt with controversies of this nature; other communities and other schools have also seen conflicts. \

Jim Ramsey was an aggressive, visionary and very effective head of the UofL Foundation. That is what made some enemies for him. Why else should Blue care about UofL billboards with Ramsey's photo on them? The idea was to publicize an era of outstanding growth for UofL and the advertising agency argued that the campaign would be more effective if a person were identified with it, and that should probably be the president. The problem is that even though these non-profit foundations are not State-owned the universities they serve are public, which means that if the activities of the foundation irritate enough developers, money managers, bankers or others with profitmaking aspirations unrelated to the university involved, they can go to the State and use political leverage to curb or stop these activities. They'll use arguments quite similar to those who argue against athletic spending; i.e., "These things are not the purpose of an institution of higher learning. We need to focus on academics and most of all the students." Those arguments always resonate among some, even if the value of athletics or the return on foundation activities are clearly of real benefit to the institution. That is what's gone in Louisville. This article, which reveals just how irritated Blue became over having to compete with activities of the foundation, is evidence of what I have said. Needless to say, Jurich and Ramsey agreed on the potential value of the foundation and its activities. The notion that both men "had to go" is the result of people who did not personally benefit from these activities (and could care less what good they could do for the University) going to government to make changes. Getting rid of both Jim Ramsey and Tom Jurich with slanders or innuendos - the method of politics -as needed for justification has been achieved. Local citizens, who read and hear the reports in the media - most of which have no understanding but love scandals - are hard pressed to know if Ramsey was a crook or not or if Jurich was a bully or not. They just want the whole episode over. Those people who resent both men, and feel like Mr. Blue, have won, and that's too bad. IMO

also...........................

"I have defended Jim Ramsey, who has admittedly been a friend of mine. I also in previous threads on more than one occasion said that I wished he'd left a year or two earlier because his way of handling the Foundation was bound to create enemies. I don't condone every step or action he took, but I also know he is not a crook. Those who wanted to wrest control of the Foundation from him made lots of statements that were scandalous in my view but that is how politics is played (as I can attest having been a DC Lobbyist for five+ years). If you disagree with how he ran things at the end, due to overconfidence, that's acceptable. Calling him a crook is not.

Donors had become disgusted with what was happening with Papa John expressing it. Hopefully the NCAA will consider the dismissals of the president, AD and basketball coach as courses of corrective action.The purpose of the university is to serve students and student athletes, not to fill the pockets of those in a position of responsibility. Accountability is necessary, and Coach Padgett, President Postel and AD Tyra have restored it with dignity. Hopefully the NCAA will consider this.
This is the most unbelievable thing I have read in years, lol. Postel has gone and ruined the Louisville Brand for years to come with his handling of the firings of Pitino and Jurich. Of course, Postel is actually only Grissom's butt boy in the first place, a curmudgeon who has also roped in the callow Papa John as a drunk running mate to bolster the rape of logic we have watched unfold in this small-town coup which only hurts everything.

I agree Padgett has been masterful. I will agree with more vigor about Tyra when he has the gig permanently and when I am satisfied how little a role Grissom (his old business partner) played in his elevation to the 8th highest paid AD in America. Not bad for someone out of athletics for 30 years, n'est pas? Postel needs to go bck to medicine. Evidently he did that well. He is an absolute travesty of a man wearing a two sizes too big prison uniform in the role he was picked to play as a Presidential aspirant. His obvious lack of people skills ruin any chance he could have of performing a University president;s primary function: fund raising.

Changes had to be made as the donors, NCAA and fans found that the actions and inactions of the past president, AD and basketball coach were unacceptable and embarrassing. The new administrator, AD and coach are restoring respectability and accountability.

Changes had to be made as the donors, NCAA and fans found that the actions and inactions of the past president, AD and basketball coach were unacceptable and embarrassing. The new administrator, AD and coach are restoring respectability and accountability.
Good grief, you're a frigging metronome. Do you work at automatic telephone answering in your spare time?

For sure....stupid is as stupid says.....this guy is even beyond stupid (ew#'s). A putz idealogue of the worst type.
Agreed - This guy senore only cuts and pastes and regurgitates the posts and ideas of others on a number of sites. It's all he does all day. I've seen very similar posts under the name of Gilbert. Pretty sure his name is Gilbert and lives with his dog and his mom in the Campton, KY area. Does get out of the trailer to get wood apparently.

Agreed - This guy senore only cuts and pastes and regurgitates the posts and ideas of others on a number of sites. It's all he does all day. I've seen very similar posts under the name of Gilbert. Pretty sure his name is Gilbert and lives with his dog and his mom in the Campton, KY area. Does get out of the trailer to get wood apparently.
Lol - even his insults are monochromatic. Everyone he disagrees with lives with their mother. I think in psychiatry parlance that is called “transferral”.

And that should be the BOT'S goal.

Actually, Clint - may I call you Clint? - I did once live in a trailer. Hard by Palmer Cove on an island called Cortes island in the Strait of Juan De Fuca in British Columbia. I speak a few languages and I lived out of the country for about 20 years. Much like you, I am sure.

Having original ideas is obviously not in my make-up. You are an insightful man.

Sorry you came out on the short end of the discussion, Gilbert. But an NCAA death penalty can't be risked and that is part of why changes were made. And if you ever left, you came back for the benefits of the welfare and social services of the good ole USA! Canada is second rate even with their 15% sales tax. Now shoo off and follow zipp around. I have a woman.

Sorry you came out on the short end of the discussion, Gilbert. But an NCAA death penalty can't be risked and that is part of why changes were made. And if you ever left, you came back for the benefits of the welfare and social services of the good ole USA! Canada is second rate even with their 15% sales tax. Now shoo off and follow zipp around. I have a woman.
You actually have a woman of your own? That is actually a tad unbelieveable. I mean, most guys do and they don't feel a need to talk about it in public. But I get you - you are an internet psychologist. You "see" things without "revealing" things. That's a rare talent.

Cigarettes are $12 a pack in Canada, man. How stupid is that?

I read the CJ's hatchet piece, but there wasn't much substance except transparency and procedural issues. What specifically did you read?...

Read the audit report, not the CJ.

I don’t believe an institution such as a major university can sustain itself without proper oversight and governance. That doesn’t diminish what Jurich and Ramsey were able to accomplish.

No doubt they upped the profile. I never argued to the contrary. Unfortunately there were foundation, endowment, administrative infrastructure that wasn’t in place that needed to be to ensure future rational growth.

Read the audit report, not the CJ.

I don’t believe an institution such as a major university can sustain itself without proper oversight and governance. That doesn’t diminish what Jurich and Ramsey were able to accomplish.
They could not have accomplished it without doing things that piss people off. That's life.

The question is whether or not they were crooked, which, so far, is far from ascertained.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT