ADVERTISEMENT

AAC and the Power 6?

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
Looks like Aresco is aiming high. It will be interesting to see if they can change the narrative to the point where they are considered a Power 6 conference. Regardless of what Aresco says, they aren't there yet. But they have beaten some quality teams from the Power 5 in non-conference games. However, they went 2-6 in Bowl games in 2015 and 2-5 in Bowl games in 2016. The other issue I see if most of their big wins have come from Houston under Tom Herman, and Herman is now at Texas. What do you guys think? Can they change the narrative to a Power 6 over time?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...erican-athletic-plans-big-push-on-idea-050117

My gut impression is "no". When you look at their teams, so many of them are in markets already dominated by the current P5. Can they get ratings? Do their own fans even turn out when they can watch Alabama-Auburn on TV instead?

The only way I could see this happening for them is if a couple of teams magically turned into 1980's Miami - Putting the smack down on top P5 teams in bowl games, and the coach doesn't leave for the P5 the next year. They have to commit a TON of money to build up that kind of program. I believe it can be done but I question whether any of those schools have the resources or resolve to do it the only sport that counts in this conversation, football.

'Aresco said the American already has the athletic achievements of a power conference, citing UConn’s 2014 men’s basketball title and the school’s three women’s basketball national championships since the league was formed in 2013, after the breakup of the old Big East.'

He is placing all of his Power 6 legitimacy talk at the feet of 1 school for the overall landscape of his conference since 2013.

Um, no.

Last edited:
My gut impression is "no". When you look at their teams, so many of them are in markets already dominated by the current P5. Can they get ratings? Do their own fans even turn out when they can watch Alabama-Auburn on TV instead?

The only way I could see this happening for them is if a couple of teams magically turned into 1980's Miami - Putting the smack down on top P5 teams in bowl games, and the coach doesn't leave for the P5 the next year. They have to commit a TON of money to build up that kind of program. I believe it can be done but I question whether any of those schools have the resources or resolve to do it the only sport that counts in this conversation, football.
The biggest issue I see is "where are they going to get the eyeballs on the TV set?" Even if they continue to improve on the field (and that is a big if), what is their best game they can have on TV? Right now it would be something like Houston vs USF. Can that ever compete with FSU vs Miami or Alabama vs Auburn? Can East Carolina vs Tulsa even ever compete with NC State vs North Carolina? To me all of the combinations on matchups you could have from the ACC or SEC within the conference would always draw more eyeballs than what you might have in the AAC where you have matchups like UConn vs Tulane, or Cincy vs Memphis, ect. And if you can't command eyeballs on the TV set you can't demand more TV money. And without more money how do you compete with the Power 5 on the field particularly in the areas of recruiting and paying enough money to keep your coaches? I am not saying they can't do it. In fact, some of their teams are very competitive as individual teams. The problem is getting the product of the entire AAC package as a whole up to snuff with the Power 5. They can do it, but if they did it would take years of improving their brand and there are no guarantees.

Last edited:
What they need is a benefactor billionaire like what Oregon got with Phil Knight. Someone like that to pour money into one or two AAC programs and really build them up over the next 20 years. People will watch dominant undefeated teams play.

I just don't see it happening. I think we're both pretty much in agreement that this is very unlikely, but there are some darkhorse scenarios. We're both really stretching to entertain the idea. The reality will almost certainly fall way short.

? WTH does he mean exactly about,"Finding a Legislative Path", to become one with the P5 conferences? :rolleyes:o_O

I guess he will continue to 'Dream Big' or go home......unlike the former BE.....at least he is trying to get a seat at the big boy table. Good luck with that....days late and many dollars short.:confused: IMO, he will not be able to make it happen.

? WTH does he mean exactly about,"Finding a Legislative Path", to become one with the P5 conferences? :rolleyes:o_O

I guess he will continue to 'Dream Big' or go home......unlike the former BE.....at least he is trying to get a seat at the big boy table. Good luck with that....days late and many dollars short.:confused: IMO, he will not be able to make it happen.
That confused me as well. The whole Power 5 ambition he has involves multiple people and organizations that nobody can just Legislate and say "Now we declare you a Power 6." In terms of perception what the Power 5 have over the Group of 5 is an accepted notion that the overall competition in multiple sports (particularly in Football but includes all sports) is up to par with all of the other conferences or even exceeds them give or take a little here or there. With that comes more TV dollars from the Networks. Also with that comes better Bowl tie ins with higher payouts. Also with that comes a respect for the strength of schedule coming from your conference from the Selection Committees for the various Postseason tournaments in various sports.

Aresco has a lot of obstacles that go way beyond just someone telling him they consider his league a Power 6. 1) It has to be proven on the field that his league top to bottom is just as good as the leagues that do get the noteriety. That takes consistently playing and beating the better teams in the country in all sports. 2) TV Networks have to be willing to pay top dollar for the product produced by the AAC. And that isn't totally dependant on the results on the field. That is influenced by geographical footprints combined with the eyeballs that want to watch those teams play in various sports. 3) The Bowl tie ins and pay outs are the same issue as the TV Network issue. Are the Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowls ever going to want to tie in to a contract with the AAC over the ACC, SEC or Big 12?

There are a lot of factors involved in what Aresco is aiming for that are beyond just Legislative. Which is why I was confused as to what he meant by that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
One of the AAC coaches had the idea a few years ago (I forget who) that the AAC should give up trying to compete with the P5 and move their season to the summer. They might get a few viewers, people who are football starved. I'm more likely to watch 7-0 Cincinnati vs. 7-0 USF if no other football is on.

Also they could move Army-Navy to July 4.

I know it sounds a little crazy, but keep in the mind the premise of this thread involves making Temple and Tulane into P5 schools...

Every now and then they are going to have a good team and then they will lose their coach to a better program and their success is over. Before Aresco overhauls the NCAA he needs to prove their conference can have at least 3 teams that are consistently ranked nationally and that they can compete on a regular basis.

The old Big East was the best chance some of the folks on the outside looking in had to be a power conference IN FOOTBALL. With SU, Pitt, WVA and Louisville the opportunity was there but the basketball schools, in a 'fit of jealousy, destroyed Big East football and now we see what that has brought those folks. The America is the birth child of the old Big East and for them to make themselves into a "P6" conference they will have to depend strictly on football because their basketball sucks. As someone else said, it's going to be all about "eyes on the TV screens" and they simply do not have that.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT