ADVERTISEMENT

A Satterfield story

WoadBlue

Getting the Hang of It
Aug 15, 2008
One group of UNC boosters and fans (yours truly among them) favored Satterfield for the UNC job. Here is a little story that help some of you get over your jitters.

Satterfield is from Hillsborough, NC, which like Chapel Hill is in Orange County. He grew up almost in UNC's backyard. Mack Brown never recruited him, nor did any other ACC coach. He went to 1AA App St before it was a power. He started at QB for 3 years. His senior season was App's first great team: 12-1.

He was App QB coach when it won 3 consecutive 1AA/FCS National Championships. He left because he wanted to be an OC. He then was brought back as App OC in 2012. Now here is the story, which I heard in a podcast on IC - the UNC 24/7 site, told by longtime Inside Carolina writer Buck Sanders.

Everybody who knew App football knew that by 2011, Jerry Moore was on his way out, within 2 or 3 years. Buck was at some football writers event in Asheville before the 2012 season, where the then App AD came to speak and glad hand. Buck knew the guy already and cornered him about the App plan to deal with Moore and a new HC. Buck said that the App AD told him that when Moore was going to leave, however that came to be, he as AD would get the entire staff in a room and tell them that if they unanimously could agree on one of them to be HC, then that would be the new HC and all the staff probably would stay. But if they were not unanimous, then his search would be opened wide.

We do not know he did that, but we know that Satterfield was bought back as OC knowing that App was about to move up from 1AA/FCS to 1A/FBS. And we do know that Satterfield was hired as HC very quickly, before App moved up. Satterfield was a 1st time HC who at the same time led the program up to 1A/FBS. App chose to 'ease out' Moore before the move, and hired Satterfield to lead the move. And he did it brilliantly.

Satterfield is a LEADER.

Thanks ASU fans for the comments. Someone else on here pasted the link and there was some discussion on the yosef chat board over the last few days. Seems like you ALL really liked Satterfield. Been a rough few months around here and I am very excited about the hire. Hope he knows what he is getting into, but he will have majority support except for some of the bandwagon idiots that wanted whoever else. Good luck on your coach search!

One question, is he the type of coach that is out and about and accessible or more private?

Looks like a good guy--hope he works out here...
I had to rub my eyes in disbelief and read this several times. He was hired by “Vince”, who in turn was hired by the clown show. “Good guy”? “Hope”? Zipp, you’re getting soft!

Coaches are hired guns. This one has no real allegiance to "Vince", his boss, or the clown cabal.

He and I already have something in common...

Then Vince NQ (no quotes) isn’t a hired gun?
"Vince" is the opposite of a hired gun. Being "hired" is the only thing he has in common. As Rollem indicates, he probably would have worked for free...

"Vince" is the opposite of a hired gun. Being "hired" is the only thing he has in common. As Rollem indicates, he probably would have worked for free...
So Vince NQ had no income, and no prospect of any, and gratefully took the gift of the AD job. If so, then he didn’t exactly “commandeer” the job, did he? BTW, exactly who is the “clown cabal”? Please don’t show pics of people who are gone. Give a list of names. I think you are down to one.

So Vince NQ had no income, and no prospect of any, and gratefully took the gift of the AD job. If so, then he didn’t exactly “commandeer” the job, did he? BTW, exactly who is the “clown cabal”? Please don’t show pics of people who are gone. Give a list of names. I think you are down to one.
The clowns are the people in charge, the ones who make decisions--or don't make them, in some cases.

"Vince" got a job he had no credentials for nor could get anywhere else. How he commandeered that job, you'll have to ask him as well. He's a fanboy and wanted it...

The clowns are the people in charge, the ones who make decisions--or don't make them, in some cases.

"Vince" got a job he had no credentials for nor could get anywhere else. How he commandeered that job, you'll have to ask him as well. He's a fanboy and wanted it...

He may have not had credentials but I bet he wouldn't have written a contract as dumb as Petrino's. Also, would have had the balls to fire Pitino after Sypher or Katina instead of letting Pitino take the program down.

He may have not had credentials but I bet he wouldn't have written a contract as dumb as Petrino's. Also, would have had the balls to fire Pitino after Sypher or Katina instead of letting Pitino take the program down.
"Vince" has been writing similar contracts for his hires. The rest of that is just speculation. No one except his haters was calling for Pitino's dismissal in the past...

"Vince" has been writing similar contracts for his hires. The rest of that is just speculation. No one except his haters was calling for Pitino's dismissal in the past...[/QUOTEAny other schools would have fired him probably after Sypher and definitely after Katina but no Jurich lets him take down a program after a third embarrassment.

"Vince" has been writing similar contracts for his hires. The rest of that is just speculation. No one except his haters was calling for Pitino's dismissal in the past...
Show me another hire that Tyra has made that has a buyout like Petrino. The only big buyout is if another school comes after them.

Friends with Kragthorpe? No. But his best friend in college football that he trades ideas with weekly is none other than Matt Campbell from Iowa State! CSS said so himself.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Show me another hire that Tyra has made that has a buyout like Petrino. The only big buyout is if another school comes after them.
Mack's buyout has three years salary just like Petrino's.

I just said this yesterday...Damn, I wish everything in life was this easy.

My assessment of Mark Jurich and Nick Petrino exactly.

I just said this yesterday...Damn, I wish everything in life was this easy.
Zipp.... where are you getting this? The contract details i have read have Mack at $4m per year with the initial buyout at$6m and that goes down $250k every year starting next year. Never see 3 years pay. Not really here to argue.... just curious if im not seeing something right

When I talk buyout, I am implying what we have to pay not what another school has to buy out to hire the coach. Why are we paying Petrino $14M for failure to put a winning product on the field? We could have fired Pitino the first time using the morality clause in his contract, but Jurich elected to let him taken us down further. Arkansas didn't pay Petrino when they fired him they exercised the morality clause in his contract.

When I talk buyout, I am implying what we have to pay not what another school has to buy out to hire the coach. Why are we paying Petrino $14M for failure to put a winning product on the field? We could have fired Pitino the first time using the morality clause in his contract, but Jurich elected to let him taken us down further. Arkansas didn't pay Petrino when they fired him they exercised the morality clause in his contract.
I don't understand your definitions. But most contracts like this I've read have two "buyouts"...

The first is what the school at which the coach is employed has to pay him/her to fire him without cause. That's the three-year salary provision I'm referencing. The second buyout is what the coach or the new school has to pay the old school to hire away their coach.

Generally, the first buyout is higher than the second. Jurich had said previously that he didn't even like the second type of buyout because he didn't want a coach who didn't wanna be at U of L. And the 2nd buyout discourages a coach from leaving on his own.

If you can fit that around your arguments on what Jurich did or did not do right, knock yourself out...

Zipp.... where are you getting this? The contract details i have read have Mack at $4m per year with the initial buyout at$6m and that goes down $250k every year starting next year. Never see 3 years pay. Not really here to argue.... just curious if im not seeing something right
Let me see if I can find those links again, and I'll edit this post including them...

EDIT: Here is the link for Mack's new contract... LINK

The important section is 17(d)(i) which is on page 15. You usually want to go to the latter part of these contracts and read "termination without cause" language. I suspect you were describing the buyout if Mack leaves voluntarily. Anyway, 17(d)(i) clearly refers to "36 months" as the maximum buyout--salary equivalent--he would receive based on when he would be fired without cause.

You also didn't question Petrino's buyout, so I won't bother with that link. Hope this clarifies things...

Last edited:
Let me see if I can find those links again, and I'll edit this post including them...
I found it and read thru it. I initially only saw the buyout for him leaving. You are correct, termination without cause is 3 years base salary. Sorry....i just wanted to make sure i understood the facts.

EDIT: Here is the link for Mack's new contract... LINK

The important section is 17(d)(i) which is on page 15. You usually want to go to the latter part of these contracts and read "termination without cause" language. I suspect you were describing the buyout if Mack leaves voluntarily. Anyway, 17(d)(i) clearly refers to "36 months" as the maximum buyout--salary equivalent--he would receive based on when he would be fired without cause.

You also didn't question Petrino's buyout, so I won't bother with that link. Hope this clarifies things...
With Pitino there was/is cause he didn't live up to the morality clause. Second time in the contract in regards to embarrassing University...3rd time another embarrassment

With Pitino there was/is cause he didn't live up to the morality clause. Second time in the contract in regards to embarrassing University...3rd time another embarrassment
As I read it, there's nothing in Pitino's contract that says he could have been fired without cause for that.

Also note that Mack's buyout, like Petrino's, INCREASES as his salary increases. That's because each guy gets three years equivalent salary as a buyout except toward the end of the contract term.

Much was said about that feature of Petrino's buyout and how unbelievable or inexplicable it was. Yet "Vince" agreed to the same buyout feature with Mack. IOW it was another baseless, agenda-driven narrative against the previous regime...

Vince NQ “commandeered” the job according to you. Now I have to ask him how he did this dastardly deed? Since you know that he commandeered the job, you should know how he did it. The first part is correct, he had no credentials other than his last name. That’s the main reason I think he is a short-timer.
Who, exactly, are “ the people in charge”? In your gallery, Postel, Schnatter, Smrt, are gone. Vince NQ was hired by the CS, but not really part of the CS since he has paid a lot of money for “sports coaches” which of course is directly contrary to the wishes of the remaining clown, David Grissom.

Vince NQ “commandeered” the job according to you. Now I have to ask him how he did this dastardly deed? Since you know that he commandeered the job, you should know how he did it. The first part is correct, he had no credentials other than his last name. That’s the main reason I think he is a short-timer.
Who, exactly, are “ the people in charge”? In your gallery, Postel, Schnatter, Smrt, are gone. Vince NQ was hired by the CS, but not really part of the CS since he has paid a lot of money for “sports coaches” which of course is directly contrary to the wishes of the remaining clown, David Grissom.
"Vince" would have crawled to China to get his dream job. Quintessential fanboy. He obviously took the job on the terms offered by the clown show. I'm starting to doubt--still hoping--you're right about him being short term.

"People in charge" are the obvious cast of characters... The BoT, University Prez, AD, and others feeding into the clown cabal. You can also ask Tim Sullivan whom he put in that category in case his list is different.

Thus far, all of the coaches that "Vince" has hired are paid less than the people they replaced. Pardon me while I wait to see if he's doing anything "contrary" to Gruesome and the cabal...

Thus far, all of the coaches that "Vince" has hired are paid less than the people they replaced. Pardon me while I wait to see if he's doing anything "contrary" to Gruesome and the cabal...
As you have pointed out, the buyouts of Mack and Satterfield were in line with the market and with their predecessors. The base pay reflects career standing. Is Mack in the HoF? 3 NCs? Even one FF? Of course he’s paid less. Has Satterfield coached at a P5 program before? Has he had a Heisman winner? How many of his guys have gone on to the NFL? Grissom want coaches paid like professors. He probably still grumbles about all of the coaches salaries.

As you have pointed out, the buyouts of Mack and Satterfield were in line with the market and with their predecessors. The base pay reflects career standing. Is Mack in the HoF? 3 NCs? Even one FF? Of course he’s paid less. Has Satterfield coached at a P5 program before? Has he had a Heisman winner? How many of his guys have gone on to the NFL? Grissom want coaches paid like professors. He probably still grumbles about all of the coaches salaries.
And how do you know they're ever gonna be paid more money? How do you know that "Vince" isn't planning to hold the line on salaries like he plans to on buyouts? How do you know that a successful coach who commands more money won't leave U of L to get more money?

You don't know...

And how do you know they're ever gonna be paid more money? How do you know that "Vince" isn't planning to hold the line on salaries like he plans to on buyouts? How do you know that a successful coach who commands more money won't leave U of L to get more money?

You don't know...
The only basis for comparison is the initial contracts of their predecessors. As I said, I think Grissom is appalled that a “sports coach” makes any more than a professor. If Vince NQ is really part of the CS, they (he) would have constrained him more. Since you have no evidence that he will hold the line on salaries, and have argued that he did NOT hold the line on buyouts, this would seem to be one of those examples of your arguing without facts that you were asking for.

As I read it, there's nothing in Pitino's contract that says he could have been fired without cause for that.

Also note that Mack's buyout, like Petrino's, INCREASES as his salary increases. That's because each guy gets three years equivalent salary as a buyout except toward the end of the contract term.

Much was said about that feature of Petrino's buyout and how unbelievable or inexplicable it was. Yet "Vince" agreed to the same buyout feature with Mack. IOW it was another baseless, agenda-driven narrative against the previous regime...
This was in Pitino contract..applies to Sypher, Katina, and assistant coaches. 3 opportunities to fire him and not pay a dime:The "morality clause" in Pitino's contract states that the school can fire him for just cause for "Disparaging media publicity of a material nature that damages the good name and reputation of Employer of the University, if such publicity is caused by Employee's willful misconduct that could objectively be anticipated to bring Employee into public disrepute or scandal, or which tends to greatly offend the public."

This was in Pitino contract..applies to Sypher, Katina, and assistant coaches. 3 opportunities to fire him and not pay a dime:The "morality clause" in Pitino's contract states that the school can fire him for just cause for "Disparaging media publicity of a material nature that damages the good name and reputation of Employer of the University, if such publicity is caused by Employee's willful misconduct that could objectively be anticipated to bring Employee into public disrepute or scandal, or which tends to greatly offend the public."
Its that last clause that the trial will turn on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT