ADVERTISEMENT

A little football talk...

WildCard

Five-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I absolutely hate (but fully understand) the current policies of closed practice - both spring and fall. That makes it pretty difficult to have much specific pre-season football talk. However, FWIW...

> I'm enjoying reading and hearing stories about our secondary, both talent and depth. I don't know what BVG likes to do but this suggests the opportunity to play more Man-Free or even Cover 0 and get an extra defender involved in either the pass rush or run defense.

> Regarding BVG, just read a story where he "makes the rounds" with every defensive group at practice. I'm sure some of that is to get his assistants on the same page he is but that is exactly what I think a DC should do (i.e., no specific position responsibility; make the rounds).

> The claim is we have more defensive speed than ever this year. Defensive speed has always been important but has become more important than ever before over the past 5 years or so (i.e., proliferation of "spread" offenses).

> We seem to have pretty good depth at RB and they all seem to be "power rusher" types. Could this possibly mean more "live tackling" work at practice to improve that particular skill? Historically CBP has promoted "thud tackling" in practice and ex-CCS went live and hard.

> Despite the loss of Jackson I think the offense will develop nicely. This is CBP's claim to fame. Certainly not as much rushing yardage from the QB position but maybe not a huge drop off in the overall rushing game. Everything suggests the passing game should be fine, especially after a few games of "starting experience". For what little it is worth I read a number of UK fans are envious about our QB situation.

> In terms of personnel losses, 2018 is a classic re-building year. I am cautiously optimistic about our coming season. Looking at early projections we are big time 'dawgs against AL and Clemson by both Steele and Connolly. Steele makes us a 3 point 'dawg @BC and Connolly has us a half point 'dawg to FSU.

All other games are projected wins but Steele has 4 at less than 6 points (GT, WF, @ 'Cuse and NC State) and Connolly has 3 such games (@BC, WF and NC State. And 2018 sets the table for 2019 expectations. The key to an 8 or more win regular season shapes up as winning 3 or 4 games as a close favorite.

> So, FGs may be a pretty damn big deal this year.

Your thoughts? Opinions? Inside info? :D

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News