ADVERTISEMENT

650 k for Nick, Scott and Beard

STLNBSE

700+
Feb 27, 2003
I am anything but a Petrino detractor but this season's results and coaching performance do not make this easy to swallow. If we are being completely honest, none of the three would even be employable at another P5-and likely D1 school. First, there's the whole nepotism thing that most universities avoid like cancer, and then there's the obvious that none have distinguished themselves in coaching outside of being married to a BP daughter or being his offspring.

I have no real problem with nepotism in the coaching profession IF the offspring have earned the spot and can do the job. ABSOLUTELY no evidence of same in this situation.

Peace
A separate post was challenging all the assistants - not just family as here as
unqualified. Kolby Smith was thrown into the mix. I disagree. Kolby played here under 1.0, and later played in the NFL. He was a good player with good experience at running back. No reason he wasn't a good hire. If RB's are having problems,, it isn't the quality of their position coach.

I have no real problem with nepotism in the coaching profession IF the offspring have earned the spot and can do the job. ABSOLUTELY no evidence of same in this situation.

Peace
A separate post was challenging all the assistants - not just family as here as
unqualified. Kolby Smith was thrown into the mix. I disagree. Kolby played here under 1.0, and later played in the NFL. He was a good player with good experience at running back. No reason he wasn't a good hire. If RB's are having problems,, it isn't the quality of their position coach.

So you base that on his experience as a RB? Just because your a quality player doesn’t make one a good coach. At this level we should be only hiring proven coaches, especially with the top salaries we pay. We are not and should not be a training program for coaches. The HC has enough on their plate.

I think Kolby Smith has the requisite experience and has done a good job as a RB coach in several stops. I also think (by default sadly) he’s one of UofL’s better recruiters. Here’s how I see the staff.

Good - Summers & Ward
Sufficient - Smith
Hot seat - Petrino, Galloway, VanGorder & Scott
Should be let go - Beard, Brown, Klenakis and Nick Petrino.

I think Kolby Smith has the requisite experience and has done a good job as a RB coach in several stops. I also think (by default sadly) he’s one of UofL’s better recruiters. Here’s how I see the staff.

Good - Summers & Ward
Sufficient - Smith

Galloway needs to be added to the “Should be let go” list. And Summers should be added to the “Hot Seat” list. BVG needs to be moved to the “Sufficient list” BVG has barely had time and his players are very young on average. I do see progress, slow but progress.

Reactions: CommodoreCard

Good - Summers & Ward
Sufficient - Smith
Howie Lindsey‏Verified account@howielindsey 2h2 hours ago

When asked about Klenakis' status, Petrino said: "He won't be back this season coaching for us."

Reactions: wilkie01

Good - Summers & Ward
Sufficient - Smith
Howie Lindsey‏Verified account@howielindsey 2h2 hours ago

When asked about Klenakis' status, Petrino said: "He won't be back this season coaching for us."

Well one down

Reactions: wilkie01
Well one down
I disagree - nothing in that statement suggests that klenakis has been fired - only that he won’t be back “this year”. He should be fired but I bet he’s simply on administrative leave (hopefully) taking care of his drinking problem.

Based on this article UofL is #25 nationally and #3 in the ACC in assistant coaching salaries (2017 data). BVG makes almost exactly the same as now departed Sirmon. I think Summers recently got a big raise into the $500K+ group. This data was assembled before the 10th assistant position was permitted.

If you click a guy's name you see his salary history. Sirmon made $635K his only year at MSU. Before that, never more than $250K.

Nick, Scott and the new son-in-law of course have never really worked for anyone other than CBP. And I think Klenakis has worked 7 of his 9 coaching years with CBP.

Peace

I disagree - nothing in that statement suggests that klenakis has been fired - only that he won’t be back “this year”. He should be fired but I bet he’s simply on administrative leave (hopefully) taking care of his drinking problem.
I am pretty sure his contract expires at the end of this season. If I'm correct I would be shocked if he ever coaches at UL again.

Based on this article UofL is #25 nationally and #3 in the ACC in assistant coaching salaries (2017 data). BVG makes almost exactly the same as now departed Sirmon. I think Summers recently got a big raise into the $500K+ group. This data was assembled before the 10th assistant position was permitted.

If you click a guy's name you see his salary history. Sirmon made $635K his only year at MSU. Before that, never more than $250K.

Nick, Scott and the new son-in-law of course have never really worked for anyone other than CBP. And I think Klenakis has worked 7 of his 9 coaching years with CBP.

Peace

And up until this year, UofL has been a top 25 program. We've also already established that we are #3 in winning percentage in ACC games during Petrino V2.0's tenure. So it sounds to me like we've been getting what we've paid for to this point.

It's okay to be unhappy with being 2-2 (0-1) versus the 3-1 (1-0) we all expected at this point. I'm just inclined to see what he and this staff can do the rest of this season before I begin to entertain thoughts that he needs to be micromanaged and dictated to like Jurich made the mistake of doing with Kragthorpe.

In point of fact, it's my opinion that he's done enough during stint 1 and stint 2 that I am willing to give him this year as a rebuilding year (regardless of final record), with next year being the one where he needs to get back to winning 8+ games and have a winning ACC record.

Now obviously he's going to recruit better THIS YEAR if he can turn this season around and post a winning record. That's the most important reason to get the 2018 season back on track: capitalizing on the great new facilities we have at UofL to bring in four straight top recruiting classes, and to see what a great X and O Coach like Bobby Petrino can do with that much talent.

Hey Pushup! Where 'ya been? I miss your posts on the other board.

CBP certainly gets this year. And he may still pull something out. Everybody knew it was going to be a "rebuilding" year, especially on the defensive side. But I am really disappointed in what I have seen so far on the offensive side. In terms of staff, he really has to be a tough guy to work for, especially on the defensive side.

FWIW, I don't see that "higher level" of recruiting you refer to. I'm not sure recruiting in the top 30s "ensures" playing in the top 30 any more due to the SOS associated with our new league. The Cards are simply not going to collect their fair share of 4* talents so it is very important to identify 3* types that fit in and will develop - much like TCU to name a program that almost always does "more with less".

Peace

Hey Pushup! Where 'ya been? I miss your posts on the other board.

CBP certainly gets this year. And he may still pull something out. Everybody knew it was going to be a "rebuilding" year, especially on the defensive side. But I am really disappointed in what I have seen so far on the offensive side. In terms of staff, he really has to be a tough guy to work for, especially on the defensive side.

FWIW, I don't see that "higher level" of recruiting you refer to. I'm not sure recruiting in the top 30s "ensures" playing in the top 30 any more due to the SOS associated with our new league. The Cards are simply not going to collect their fair share of 4* talents so it is very important to identify 3* types that fit in and will develop - much like TCU to name a program that almost always does "more with less".

Peace

Hope you are doing well, WildCard. I have returned to my athletic roots (trick water skiing) in my old age, and as a result have had to cut out a few things from my budget to pay for my new hobby. Season football tickets and my Rivals membership ended up on the chopping block....

As I have thought more about the offensive struggles this year, I would think that, given the high risk/high reward nature of Petrino's offense, it has to be very frustrating to our players to miss out on those big plays, either due to dropped passes or because Pass and/or Cunningham just aren't seeing where the ball should be thrown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT