ADVERTISEMENT

$55 million PJCS Expansion announced

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich unveiled plans for an expanded Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium to the school’s 50-Yard Line Booster Club in the stadium’s Brown & Williamson Club on Thursday night.

Plans weren’t immediately available from U of L, but university trustee Jonathan Blue (@1CardsFan on Twitter) tweeted several details — including a plan to close the Papa John’s bowl on the south end of the stadium with a $55 million project that would include new club level suites, improved fan club facilities and more.

Jurich has said for several weeks that the school had been seriously exploring the possibility of a football stadium expansion, and said several weeks ago that such a project might be his last at the school.

Several athletic department sources said that a funding plan for the expansion is only in the initial stages, but Jurich wanted to share the vision for the stadium’s finished look with its major supporters.

PJCSExpansion.jpg

Reactions: cardstud1
Guess the rumors were true about the Seattle Seahawks and hownour stadium would mirror theirs.

The expansion will be awesome.

Wow!

One of the guys who tailgates with us works with an engineering firm that does a lot of the work. I'll see if he is going to be working on this project.

I'm thrilled they are expanding the stadium that is great news. I've got to be honest I don't really like the design. I really dislike that it just sits there by itself without being connected to the open horseshoe making it go all the way around (the giant gaps bother me I don't like the way it looks) and I don't like the big triangular point. I just don't like it. I just hope it stays flat and parallel to the horizon. It just doesn't go with the rest of the stadium it looks kind of alien to me. I hope that rendering isn't how it really looks.

Yep, I seem to recall in the past Jurich didn't want the stadium looking like it had been pieced together and not looking uniform like other universities have done with their expansions. I TOTALLY agree with filling in the gaps as opposed to an elevated goofy point. It. Just. Doesn't. Look. Right.

Reactions: Mayoman
I like it. Everything and I mean everything is about recruiting the best talent. This will allow them to completely redo the weight/training room, and add in other key features that are first class for the players.

Get good players with good coaching filling 10,000 or 20,000 will be no problem.

Timing again is perfect. Louisville will still have best stadium and player facilities in the state.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I like it too. It's very different in its own right and the angularity of the points make it look like a nest, lol.

Yeah ... I LOVE this design ...

Taking the best of the loudest pro stadiums, and upgrading the workout/Schenlly complex facility is FIRST CLASS.

I never imagined this style .... and so glad it is not the typical cookie cutter college stadium.

My first reaction was also negative toward the design, but after studying the pictures, I've changed my mind. There is a section connecting each side to the existing bowl, although small, and the triangle is distinctive. The upgrade to the Schnelly center will be huge for recruiting. First class, as you would expect from TJ.

Love the design. Can't wait for the construction to start.
That'll be a separate culture down their - ground level seating behind the end zone, gimme a break. :) And another shot at the World's Largest Sports Bar, ala the Yum!

The designs under Jurich have been really fan friendly.It's pretty incredible what we're building.....and how wide the swath of Cardinal sports.

That'll be a separate culture down their - ground level seating behind the end zone, gimme a break. :) And another shot at the World's Largest Sports Bar, ala the Yum!

The designs under Jurich have been really fan friendly.It's pretty incredible what we're building.....and how wide the swath of Cardinal sports.

Love the fact he talked to Jerry Jones to get ideas on the expansion...no matter what you think of the owner of the Dallas Cowboys...AT&T Stadium is the Gold Standard when it comes for Sports Venues...

I'm guessing it will be done in time for the Notre Dame opener in 2019.
The stadium expansion looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing that game if the good Lord is willing and I'm still kicking.
Notre Dame Stadium is going through a gigantic change that should be completed by August 2017. Those fans returning for the game in 2020 will no longer be setting on those small wooden benches. Modern benches are being put in throughout the stadium. The stadium will also have a new video board and video ribbons on the east and west structures. If the Lord is willing then I'll get to see it too.
Congratulations on such a beautiful stadium.

pjcs6.png

view_stadium.jpg

Last edited:
The stadium expansion looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing that game if the good Lord is willing and I'm still kicking.
Notre Dame Stadium is going through a gigantic change that should be completed by August 2017. Those fans returning for the game in 2020 will no longer be setting on those small wooden benches. Modern benches are being put in throughout the stadium. The stadium will also have a new video board and video ribbons on the east and west structures. If the Lord is willing then I'll get to see it too.
Congratulations on such a beautiful stadium.

pjcs6.png

view_stadium.jpg

ND Stadium looks awesome to me and very nostalgic!!

From what I'm reading.....we will still have our pink seats? What the heck! That's not acceptable IMO. Beautiful updated stadium with pink seats, wow

I'm thrilled they are expanding the stadium that is great news. I've got to be honest I don't really like the design. I really dislike that it just sits there by itself without being connected to the open horseshoe making it go all the way around (the giant gaps bother me I don't like the way it looks) and I don't like the big triangular point. I just don't like it. I just hope it stays flat and parallel to the horizon. It just doesn't go with the rest of the stadium it looks kind of alien to me. I hope that rendering isn't how it really looks.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but there's no "giant gap" and TJ pointed out it "connects the east and west sides" for fans trying to get from one to the other. The simple bowl you're implying as a pref would be the worst possible design in my opinion (so very glad you're not going to have your way on this one).

From what I'm reading.....we will still have our pink seats? What the heck! That's not acceptable IMO. Beautiful updated stadium with pink seats, wow

Keep your butts in them and it won't make a difference. ;)

65bird, my butt is in my seat except when I'm up cheering. I'm a die hard fan. So I have a right to complain about my seat being pink. It's an eyesore.

I've tried to let the immediate reaction simmer before saying too much about this expansion; but it is FLIPPIN SWEET!!! I want to be on the floor, and at the point, on the concourse connecting sections, and at the bar (pardon the Suesseness of that)...holy moly that is freakin sweet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT