ADVERTISEMENT

4th QTR Defense is going to be a weakness for the rest of the season

Nov 11, 2018
28 points to Wake, 21 to Clemson. Louisville didn't come close to stopping either team in the 4th QTR. Yeah, yeah, I know Wake and Clemson have great offenses. The issue isn't the opponent, it's that our boys are gassed.

Reactions: Slam2121
28 points to Wake, 21 to Clemson. Louisville didn't come close to stopping either team in the 4th QTR. Yeah, yeah, I know Wake and Clemson have great offenses. The issue isn't the opponent, it's that our boys are gassed.
It’s true, but the offense kept putting our defense right back on the field. No real sustained drives. And against Wake, we had already played 2 full games in one. Of course we were gassed, but nonetheless, you are correct.

Every game left is winnable. Just have to keep improving.

Reactions: Mayoman
Losing 22 players especially Greenard doesnt help.

Growing pains.

Get that depth and UofL could possibly upset Clemson next season.

Come on recruits. Theyre building an ACC Atlantic contender here !

Last edited:
Losing 32 players especially Greenard doesnt help.

Growing pains.

Get that depth and UofL could possibly upset Clemson next season.

Come on recruits. Theyre building an ACC Atlantic contender here !
I hear ya, but I want a day where a win over Clemson wouldn’t be called an upset.

Our defense played spectacularly till late in the 3rd quarter. You’re right, they definitely were gassed. With an Uber talented Clemson defense crowding the line of scrimmage today and making sure the Cards were blown up at the point of attack and having little time to get to a second read, it was bound to collapse.

Only way to have a chance at the upset is to not make mistakes and take advantage of opportunities. We just didn’t execute when we had chances early. They also made some ridiculous plays, which is why they are who they are. We’ll get there.

Help is on the way. Love this team and these coaches.

You need to keep expectations high, but at the same time still not be smoking dope when those expectation are set.

Lot like ND on the first game. L'ville was actually in the game even until the 3rd quarter.

The added reality is from I saw, the L'ville players still tried to play hard even if they knew the game could be slipping away.

Even though the score was lopsided by two late touchdowns, the added reality is although L'ville lost, they didn't get their butt's handed to them during the entire game.

I'm not normally a "half filled glass" type of guy, but the reality is at the beginning of the season it's not like you guys were expecting to go undefeated and to a bowl game.

Building season the next couple of years. Learn from your losses so you can prepare for them not to happen again.

Although L'ville is making mistakes, seems like they are playing clean games in that they aren't losing their cool. Step in the right direction IMO.

You need to keep expectations high, but at the same time still not be smoking dope when those expectation are set.

Lot like ND on the first game. L'ville was actually in the game even until the 3rd quarter.

The added reality is from I saw, the L'ville players still tried to play hard even if they knew the game could be slipping away.

Even though the score was lopsided by two late touchdowns, the added reality is although L'ville lost, they didn't get their butt's handed to them during the entire game.

I'm not normally a "half filled glass" type of guy, but the reality is at the beginning of the season it's not like you guys were expecting to go undefeated and to a bowl game.

Building season the next couple of years. Learn from your losses so you can prepare for them not to happen again.

Although L'ville is making mistakes, seems like they are playing clean games in that they aren't losing their cool. Step in the right direction IMO.
Good post. My expectations are probably too high, but I guess that’s just something that was instilled in me a long time ago as a player. We did expect to win every game and we did expect big expect to achieve lofty goals. For some of us, it’s harder to accept reality than it is to lower expectations. Though we lost today to a tremendous team and program, I’m still pissed we didn’t do better. And I know the players and coaches are too.

Slam2121 - being in NC I could only watch the game, but in the 4th quarter, did you see the L-ville players on the sidelines with their hands held high?

I believe Satterfield is trying to install that "winning expectation" into the players, it will just take time. I do believe head coaches lead by example and from what I've seen, I've been impressed with the "never give up attitude".

Some guys may bust on Satterfield going for it in the 3rd quarter on a 4 down, but I saw it as having nothing to lose and believing in your players. Calculated risk and he lost (added I'm not certain if I would of ran if up the in the trenches like they did), but he's at least willing to take the risk.

All that said, seems like the L'ville freshman qb is playing better from what I've seen. That said, Satterfield knows a lot more about football than I know, and he KNOWS this team, and I do trust his judgement.

I'm also very impressed that Coach Satterfield let his wife stay (live) in Boone so his son, who is a senior could finish out his high school football. Tells me a lot about the man and his family. Sometimes being a great coach isn't all about how many wins you get, but how you can impact a young mans life. This is where I seem to be more impressed with the guy and his beliefs (I don't see him falling off a motorcycle with anyone other than his wife LMAO).

Lets put it this way, last year was a trailer fire with the team, this year no one even brought any matches to start a fire (aka far:))

Slam2121 - being in NC I could only watch the game, but in the 4th quarter, did you see the L-ville players on the sidelines with their hands held high?

I believe Satterfield is trying to install that "winning expectation" into the players, it will just take time. I do believe head coaches lead by example and from what I've seen, I've been impressed with the "never give up attitude".

Some guys may bust on Satterfield going for it in the 3rd quarter on a 4 down, but I saw it as having nothing to lose and believing in your players. Calculated risk and he lost (added I'm not certain if I would of ran if up the in the trenches like they did), but he's at least willing to take the risk.

All that said, seems like the L'ville freshman qb is playing better from what I've seen. That said, Satterfield knows a lot more about football than I know, and he KNOWS this team, and I do trust his judgement.

I'm also very impressed that Coach Satterfield let his wife stay (live) in Boone so his son, who is a senior could finish out his high school football. Tells me a lot about the man and his family. Sometimes being a great coach isn't all about how many wins you get, but how you can impact a young mans life. This is where I seem to be more impressed with the guy and his beliefs (I don't see him falling off a motorcycle with anyone other than his wife LMAO).
Having a coach that leads by example BOTH while you are a player and even long after you leave their tutelage does and will forever help shape and mold a person’s character. Seeing how Petrino received a second chance was a disgrace to so many who had been a part of building UL to the level it is today and yes, aided in building a stadium that we all call home today.

Satterfield is a coach that all former, current, and future players can ask for in terms of teaching the game and having the respect of being someone to trust to build character and embrace the integrity of our program. We are definitely on the right track.

You can see the excitement in the players before the game as they warm up and move to the sidelines and you just know the culture has changed and that Satterfield and staff are truly here to win in “every” way.

I’m truly excited. I’m definitely proud of these kids today and what they’ll bring to us every game. Expectations are steadily going up for our fans. I fully believe they’ll keep heading that way.

Very well said sir (Slam2121).

THIS is what I believe a lot of coaches have forgotten about college football. It's not about the money in the pro's, it's how you live your life off the field.

FSU came back to get them 4th Q, and WKU put a scare into the Cards in the 4th Q also. OP is probably onto something here.

Old bad saying up north... "No shite Sherlock".

From last year going into 2019, may I ask exactly where did you think L'ville could have problems on the field? (you I assumed have followed them for some time, myself, it wasn't until Petrino fell off the bike that I decided to grab a bag of popcorn...)

That said, I knew what kind of man Patrino was when he left the Falcons and I'm not even a very good football person.

My understanding is Petrino did a horrible job of recruiting for the Cards (don't know that for a fact, just seems to be the general consensus on what I've read).

Satterfield comes in at the end of 2018, has 7 months to get ready to play with a program he inherited, I'm curious, exactly what would you of done differently than Satterfield to improve the 4th quarter defense?

My only point is I actually have faith in these guys coaching L'ville actually knowing more with what's going on than us woodpeckers on a internet forum.

Old bad saying up north... "No shite Sherlock".

From last year going into 2019, may I ask exactly where did you think L'ville could have problems on the field?

My only point is I actually have faith in these guys coaching L'ville actually knowing more with what's going on than us woodpeckers on a internet forum.

Nowhere did I say I had no faith in the staff or claim to have the answers in my 20 word post about the OP's thought the Cards are getting tired in a few 4th Qs. Nor did I say I had high expectations.

There's really no reason for you to draw the kind of conclusion you're drawing Inspector Clouseau.

Last edited:
Nowhere did I say I had no faith in the staff in my 20 word post about the OP's thought the Cards are getting tired in a few 4th Qs. Nor did I say I had high expectations.

There's really no reason for you to draw the kind of conclusion you're drawing Inspector Clouseau.

My comment was made to your comment "OP is probably onto something here". That said, my comment "no shite sherlock" still stands:)

Perhaps I should of ask exactly what the OP's expectations would of been this year per where L'ville was lacking instead of quoting you and asking you the question. For this, I owe you an apology.

Sincere question, going into 2019 without playing a game, where did all the fans think L-ville was going to suck? Personally, if you said, "defense going into the 4th quarter", I'd say that was probably not so bad given last year.

My comment was made to your comment "OP is probably onto something here". That said, my comment "no shite sherlock" still stands:)

Perhaps I should of ask exactly what the OP's expectations would of been this year per where L'ville was lacking instead of quoting you and asking you the question. For this, I owe you an apology.

Sincere question, going into 2019 without playing a game, where did all the fans think L-ville was going to suck? Personally, if you said, "defense going into the 4th quarter", I'd say that was probably not so bad given last year.

I figured they'd struggle pretty much everywhere, in all quarters not just the 4th. I might vote for Satterfield as a write in on my November ballot for every political office up for grabs. That's where I'm at with this staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT