ADVERTISEMENT

2021 standout says "Yes" to Louisville WBB

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Payton Verhulst, a 2021 five-star, 6'1" guard out of DeSoto Bishop Miege (De Soto, Kansas) has annonced she is headed to Louisville.

She is the third-ranked guard in the 2021 class, according to ESPNW and Walz and the Cards beat out Arizona State, UConn, Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, Notre Dame and several other schools in the commitment.

"I'm thankful and blessed to find the perfect fit for me. Excited to join THE VILLE!"

Payton is a very fundamental guard who can manufacture shots. She rises and knocks down the mid-range jumper with consistent results. She's recognized as a triple-threat creator who keeps defenses very honest and she is a 3-point deliverer beyond the arc; Her back court size, versatility add to her resume as one of the main coveted guard in the class of 2021.

[URL='https://twitter.com/haileyvll']HVL
@haileyvll
L’s UPPPPP!! Let’s go ! @payton_verhulst

A huge "get" for the Cards. You're going to love her hustle, style and personality !! [/URL]

--sonja--

Ok. I should not say this but the space created by the vacant 2013 banner (which removal is a travesty) makes space for all of the future WBB banners soon to be raised.

Though I attend MBB games and FB games, the first renewal I make are my WBB season tickets.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I really think the USA affiliation has bolstered Walz's impact with these young ladies. He is doing what Coach K did when coaching with USA basketball.

I really think the USA affiliation has bolstered Walz's impact with these young ladies. He is doing what Coach K did when coaching with USA basketball.
I‘m sure USA Basketball has elevated CJW especially with HVL and Cochran but if you check out Peytons twitter announcement, she posts a picture as a young girl wearing a Louisville jersey. This goes way back with her family. Maybe Sonja knows the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: real2it and Sonja
I‘m sure USA Basketball has elevated CJW especially with HVL and Cochran but if you check out Peytons twitter announcement, she posts a picture as a young girl wearing a Louisville jersey. This goes way back with her family. Maybe Sonja knows the story.

I personally do not know, but, the guys at Paulie's site are always looking to do interviews with student-athletes and such and I'll see if he can add Payton to the list.

--sonja--

Reactions: real2it
I keep forgetting about this page. Just posted in another thread my only "concern" about Walz's recruiting is big girls (i.e., 6'3"+). I definitely think the women's game has gotten much more "big oriented" over the past 6 or 7 years.

Peace

I keep forgetting about this page. Just posted in another thread my only "concern" about Walz's recruiting is big girls (i.e., 6'3"+). I definitely think the women's game has gotten much more "big oriented" over the past 6 or 7 years.

Peace
Maybe, and one can't argue with the successes of players such as Tearia McCowan, Bea Mompreimer, Lauren Cox and other in the last couple of years -- but, it certainly looks like Coach Walz is building this 2020-21 team for speed, a four-guard offense and such. I agree that Myisha, Sam, Kylee and Bionca were huge for the program, but Asia Durr wasn't a big and she was so influential.

Time well tell. Just my opinion.

--sonja--

Reactions: Cardhorn
Maybe, and one can't argue with the successes of players such as Tearia McCowan, Bea Mompreimer, Lauren Cox and other in the last couple of years -- but, it certainly looks like Coach Walz is building this 2020-21 team for speed, a four-guard offense and such. I agree that Myisha, Sam, Kylee and Bionca were huge for the program, but Asia Durr wasn't a big and she was so influential.

Time well tell. Just my opinion.

--sonja--
I agree about this team being built for speed. Fortunately we will have Liz Dixon and Olivia Cochran to give us rebounding and hopefully points in the paint.

I still can't figure out the height of Cochran. She's been listed from 6'1 to 6'3, which leads me to believe she's probably closer to 6'1.

Uh I’ll take 5’6” Shoni Schimmell (speed) versus 6’6” Brittany Griner (big) any day of the week.
Shoni is one of my all-time favorite Cardinals but if I was picking a team and starting with the two you listed I'm taking 6'8 not 6'6 Griner all day. The girl could dunk in the rhythm of the game. Can't coach size and a dominating big in the women's game can change your teams fortune IMO.

I agree about this team being built for speed. Fortunately we will have Liz Dixon and Olivia Cochran to give us rebounding and hopefully points in the paint.

Don't forget 6'4 Ramani Parker who redshirted this past season. She was a 4 star recruit in the top 100 players.

Reactions: mwatson61
The picture your talking about of Payton as a 3 year old is either airbrushed on or it is not Payton. If it is her it was taken about 13 years ago and the shirt has an ACC logo on it.

The picture your talking about of Payton as a 3 year old is either airbrushed on or it is not Payton. If it is her it was taken about 13 years ago and the shirt has an ACC logo on it.
It was mentioned on another women’s site that it was just a picture of a young fan.

ADVERTISEMENT