ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Football Season Predictions

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Alright...it's time to throw out a prediction for the upcoming season.
I know we don't have much information to go on right now but the hope that
better coaching and a better culture will equal better execution and effort.
Whatta ya got?

I'm gonna be bullish (or foolish) at 5-7 with wins over EKU, WKU, and 3 more between Boston College, Wake Forest, NC State, Virginia, Syracuse and Kentucky. I just think we have much more talent left than our record/effort showed last year. And I think Jawon Pass will be an effective starting QB in this offense.

2019-Louisville-Cardinals-Football-Schedule.png

I’m with you Steelers2012 on 5-7. I believe the young men from last year have a point to make.

We have 6 grad transfers and if they are anything like our MBB the last few years, we have leaders.

Reactions: gocds
I think we are about 100% better than a 2-win team, so I’m going with 4-8 against what might be the most difficult schedule UofL has ever played. I’d like to go higher, but I can’t until I actually see improvement at QB on the field. Offensive line depth and “downsizing” the defense also will be a concern when we have to play “big boy” football against Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami, and even NC State.

I think we beat EKU, WKU, BC, and one of either Virginia, Syracuse, Wake Forest or UK.

Wins: 3
EKU- Easy

WKU- Tougher than expected, but a good win. WKU has now gotten the top in-state and overlooked guys in the area, since UK and UofL have moved out of state to recruit. This is their game to prove something.

Cuse- New QB will be a huge drop in production for their offense. Senior day at home. That's a perfect storm

Losses: 8
Notre Dame-No shame, they're elite

@FSU- Always tough on the road. They're talented. I'm bullish on Taggart from his time at WKU and USF..took time but got talent in there

Boston College- They return enough and just are a fundamentally tough team. Very balanced and well coached. Those are the team its hard to beat while rebuilding.

Clemson- They beat everybody

Virginia- They'll have a top defense in the nation this year and Perkins is a good returning QB. Their offense isn't great...it could be an upset potential depending on development.

@Miami- They're a very strong team and it's on the road

@NC State- Hard to win on the road and they're a great team

@Kentucky- I know...I'm a LPT homer. We won't be as good and you won't be as bad. But there's a talent and depth gap between us.

Toss-up: 1

@wake Forrest- If it was at home, I'd give you guys the edge..but an early road game with a new staff is always tough. Win this...it can swing your season.

3-9 or 4-8.

Reactions: PushupMan
Head says 3-9.
Heart says 5-7.
I’ll split difference and go with 4-8. Wins against EKU, WKU, BC and UK.
Seems logical to me but I’ll guess 4-8 with wins being EKU, WKU, Virginia at home and the SchmUcKs in Lexington. Coach Satt’s sig all over the last game.

Last year was a result of 3 years of build up. Things just weren’t right. The defense really started declining 3 years ago and the offensive line never improved even with Summers. Jackson was able to hide the offensive line issues for the most part.

This leads me to believe there was a talent and coaching problem. That makes for a tough turnaround. The ACC isn’t stacked with talent outside of the big 3 but they are well coached.

3-8 seems right because Louisville can’t out talent or out coach anyone in year one.

Last edited:
I will predict 3 and 9 or 4 and 8. I believe there was quite a bit more talent than was apparent last year and , as we now no, virtually no coaching and no team cohesion.
We will win the ones we should but WKU will be a tougher game than many expect.
Deservedly so our ACC opponents will totally overlook games with us as a gimme. For most that will be the case but for one or two( Wake, NC State or BC) their overconfidence will cost them.
I am a diehard supporter but wonder how many of us will handle the rebuilding if we see much better coaching and effort yet still take a 40 or 50 point drubbing from a Clemson or Miami.

Reactions: smoore45
I don’t do specific predictions. But I will say that we’ll be better, probably much better, than we were last season. I’m basing that on coaching and UofL having more talent than we saw last season. I will predict three losses; ND, UVA and, of course, Clemson. After that I believe we’ll be very competitive in nine of our games.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: PHCARD
I agree with those who say 3 wins for sure. Anything more than that will be a nice surprise. This is basically a throw away year for SS. He won't start feeling the heat about improvement until year 3 IMO.

This team could show massive improvement, and still only win two games. I think they will be better than that, but it really depends on the offensive line, the running game, and taking care of the ball. There are five winnable games in the first half of the season, and maybe two in the second half. Depth will be a problem, especially from Clemson on. I’m also unhappily thinking that Kentucky is going to be pretty good this year. So I hesitantly, and hopefully, predict 5-7. It would be sweet to get number six in Lexington, but I can’t predict it. Go Cards!

I think we are about 100% better than a 2-win team, so I’m going with 4-8 against what might be the most difficult schedule UofL has ever played. I’d like to go higher, but I can’t until I actually see improvement at QB on the field. Offensive line depth and “downsizing” the defense also will be a concern when we have to play “big boy” football against Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami, and even NC State.

I think we beat EKU, WKU, BC, and one of either Virginia, Syracuse, Wake Forest or UK.
I'm about where Pushup is. I don't think the Cards get to 5-7, but I don't think they will look rancid, as they did last season. I can see a 3-9 or 4-8 final record. And several of those 8 or 9 losses would probably be close games.

I think the key games for building confidence and putting together a decent comeback season will be the 4th through 6th games: @ FSU, BC and @ Wake. I see one of those as a Win...probably BC. That three-game set will tell us all a lot. We go 0-3, really bad. We win 2 of those, incredibly good.

After those three key games, the rest of the season could be grim...or OK. Depends so much on development and confidence and depth and injuries.

Frankly, if the Cards are 2-4 after their first 6 games, I see them finishing 3-9.

Reactions: gocds
I think we don't have much depth at most positions, and our QB situation is questionable. As the season drags on injuries will play a big role.

I'm hoping for one surprise upset in the ACC but I won't be surprised if we're shut out again.

I'm also worried about WKU. It's basically a road game, and after Notre Dame. How will our fans feel about travelling for WKU? I imagine the WKU fans will smell blood and turn out in droves.

I agree with Cue Card that it's basically a throw away year as far as any job pressure for a new coach. But our fan base is what it is, and his real challenge is keeping the fans engaged when the team isn't winning.

I have my fingers crossed for 2 wins, maybe 3. I'm also trying to set my expectations low so I can enjoy seeing any improvement. Really, I'm just hopeful our worse loss is under 4 TDs.

I hope the people predicting more wins are right and I'm wrong!

I was feeling pretty good, perhaps, overly optimistic, but this thread has brought me down to earth. You just really don’t know. Charlie came in after 3 years of Krag funk, and got the team bowl eligible. Now, I know Bobby mismanaged the roster, but every class he had was ranked pretty good. You got to think Satterfield is inheriting better talent than what Kragthorpe left for Charlie. Satt is coming in pretty well regarded, too. The team is hungry to move on. The recipe for a better than expected season is there. The schedule doesn’t help, that’s for sure.

I'm about where Pushup is. I don't think the Cards get to 5-7, but I don't think they will look rancid, as they did last season. I can see a 3-9 or 4-8 final record. And several of those 8 or 9 losses would probably be close games.

I think the key games for building confidence and putting together a decent comeback season will be the 4th through 6th games: @ FSU, BC and @ Wake. I see one of those as a Win...probably BC. That three-game set will tell us all a lot. We go 0-3, really bad. We win 2 of those, incredibly good.

After those three key games, the rest of the season could be grim...or OK. Depends so much on development and confidence and depth and injuries.

Frankly, if the Cards are 2-4 after their first 6 games, I see them finishing 3-9.

G’man good to see you back. Stick around for a while. :p

I'm going to predict 4-8 and personally, I think that would be a great outcome after last year. Right now, changing the culture and competitiveness is more important than the wins. Your first team should be fine but I wonder about your depth at almost every position. That will probably be the difference between 4 wins and 6 wins.

It doesn't really matter though so long as the effort to compete is there. You made a great hire, he'll just need a few years. Enjoy the journey and worry less about wins for now.

I'm going to predict 4-8 and personally, I think that would be a great outcome after last year. Right now, changing the culture and competitiveness is more important than the wins. Your first team should be fine but I wonder about your depth at almost every position. That will probably be the difference between 4 wins and 6 wins.

It doesn't really matter though so long as the effort to compete is there. You made a great hire, he'll just need a few years. Enjoy the journey and worry less about wins for now.

WOW, it’s sooooo “nice” to have a uahkay fan giving his two cents worth on our football schedule. If only we had your OOC conference schedule then we’d probably win 7 or 8 games. We are, by far, the best OOC team that the cayuts will play this year. If you don’t win at least 7 games this year then stupes should be tarred and feathered and rode out of town on a rail.

WOW, it’s sooooo “nice” to have a uahkay fan giving his two cents worth on our football schedule. If only we had your OOC conference schedule then we’d probably win 7 or 8 games. We are, by far, the best OOC team that the cayuts will play this year. If you don’t win at least 7 games this year then stupes should be tarred and feathered and rode out of town on a rail.

I agree.

I was feeling pretty good, perhaps, overly optimistic, but this thread has brought me down to earth. You just really don’t know. Charlie came in after 3 years of Krag funk, and got the team bowl eligible. Now, I know Bobby mismanaged the roster, but every class he had was ranked pretty good. You got to think Satterfield is inheriting better talent than what Kragthorpe left for Charlie. Satt is coming in pretty well regarded, too. The team is hungry to move on. The recipe for a better than expected season is there. The schedule doesn’t help, that’s for sure.

Strong was left a much better schedule to compete against and he had a lights out first recruiting class. Keep in mind that at that time there was no early signing period for football so he had a couple months to cultivate a great class and he had been recruiting for Florida so he was already in on high D1 talent. Satterfield had no chance in the early period and the guys he was recruiting werent P5 players.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Strong was left a much better schedule to compete against and he had a lights out first recruiting class. Keep in mind that at that time there was no early signing period for football so he had a couple months to cultivate a great class and he had been recruiting for Florida so he was already in on high D1 talent. Satterfield had no chance in the early period and the guys he was recruiting werent P5 players.
From what I remember, the Kragthorpe teams just were lacking in game prep and execution. They didn't get blown out every single game, but just lacked that "next gear" to get over the hump and finish some teams off. They were below average to bad teams...not worst in the nation level. Charlie came in and had an average level(or below) of football talent..and was able to change the culture enough to push them to another level.

He took a 4-8 team to a 6-6 regular season and then 7-5 the next year. That last Krag team was like his others...1-2 plays from being bowl eligible, but the coaching/culture just made them lose those game. Charlie's teams made those plays to get over the top. Like in 2009, you all were 1 stop from beating us in Commonwealth and 1-2 different plays and you all beat WVU. It's a different season at 6-6.

I believe Satt’s boys could possibly get to 6 wins against Charlie’s first year schedule and having 7 home games to boot.

2010 Louisville Cardinals schedule:

Kentucky 6-6
Eastern Kentucky 6-5
@ Oregon St 5-7
@ Arkansas St 4-8
Memphis 1-11
Cincinnati 4-8
Connecticut 8-4
@ Pittsburgh 7-5
@ Syracuse 7-5
South Florida 7-5
West Virginia 9-3
@ Rutgers 4-8

Reactions: Knucklehank1
6 wins...… EKU, WKU, Boston College, Wake Forrest, Miami and Syracuse. Our talent level is not as weak as the coaching staff would leave you to believe. They've lowered expectations and rightfully so, but I'm not buying it. We are only lacking depth at Oline that's it. Our defense primarily goes three deep across the board.

Reactions: wkcards
6 wins...… EKU, WKU, Boston College, Wake Forrest, Miami and Syracuse. Our talent level is not as weak as the coaching staff would leave you to believe. They've lowered expectations and rightfully so, but I'm not buying it. We are only lacking depth at Oline that's it. Our defense primarily goes three deep across the board.
Love the optimism.

One thing I can guarantee is that it’s going to be a helluva lot more fun this year than last.

Go Cards Always!

I believe Satt’s boys could possibly get to 6 wins against Charlie’s first year schedule and having 7 home games to boot.

2010 Louisville Cardinals schedule:

Kentucky 6-6
Eastern Kentucky 6-5
@ Oregon St 5-7
@ Arkansas St 4-8
Memphis 1-11
Cincinnati 4-8
Connecticut 8-4
@ Pittsburgh 7-5
@ Syracuse 7-5
South Florida 7-5
West Virginia 9-3
@ Rutgers 4-8

On a personal note, what I loved about that 2010 schedule was being there in person for every single game. Bucket list item accomplished!

Reactions: Louisvillian
On a personal note, what I loved about that 2010 schedule was being there in person for every single game. Bucket list item accomplished!
That’s quite an accomplishment.

I wasn’t there but I think my favorite game from that year was beating Syracuse in the dome. Vance B has no fear and turned the defense loose in the 2nd half.

The lack of proven depth on the O-line is a huge concern. Those guys get hurt a lot normally. We're going to need some youngsters to step up and step in probably before they're ready but that's football.

Go CARDS!!!

A group of us went out to the Oregon St game that year and had a blast out there (except for the rain). That’s an awesome area of the country to visit.

The lack of proven depth on the O-line is a huge concern. Those guys get hurt a lot normally. We're going to need some youngsters to step up and step in probably before they're ready but that's football.

Go CARDS!!!
Didn’t help that we were left with only 8 returning Offensive linemen and 1 Tight End. But ole BP made sure we had 15 Wide Receivers to come back. Not to mention an emotionally beaten down starting QB.

Thanks coach.

Reactions: Cue Card

Go CARDS!!!

This is what worries me, after the first few games. We're bound to have some injuries, and we don't seem to have much depth. Also when you talk about lack of depth on the O-line, that's concerning for the health of QBs. I'm afraid that's what will kill us once we get into conference play, injuries and a lack of depth. I hope I'm wrong.

Didn’t help that we were left with only 8 returning Offensive linemen and 1 Tight End. But ole BP made sure we had 15 Wide Receivers to come back. Not to mention an emotionally beaten down starting QB.

Thanks coach.
Bobby screwed us better than he screwed his former girlfriend/employee in Arkansas. Took us for a ride which ended rougher than his wreck while in Arkansas. Wish his sorry rear end never came back to UofL. Hindsight.

Bobby screwed us better than he screwed his former girlfriend/employee in Arkansas. Took us for a ride which ended rougher than his wreck while in Arkansas. Wish his sorry rear end never came back to UofL. Hindsight.
He helped get Lamar here and there were certainly some serious high points during 2.0 but like any other time you make a deal with (you describe), you reap the dumpster bottom that inevitably follows.

Too bad. Brilliant offensive mind and.....the end.

Ok I'm gonna be optimistic for the year. I truly believe the talen on this team is above way above the 2-10 record last season. So im gonna say 6-6 this season. The difference will be confidence the team will have and improved QB play.
Go Cards

2-10 or 3-9 is the only thing I can see. Not an indictment of CSS, but it's just a reality. A bad team learning a new system, that lost a lot of players and depth to transfer/graduation. And we didn't bring in really any new talent to add to the team. EKU, WKU, & possibly Wake.

Some of you forget that this was not a good team coming into last season. I remember making a thread at the end of 2017 saying how I was afraid that we were heading downhill fast. You all said I was being crazy and extreme.

Nothing last year screams this team just had sleeping talent that wasn't trying. We were not competitive against any Power 5 opponent we played other than Florida State. (FSU who beat FCS Samford by 10 at home). The only 2 teams we beat were a FCS Indiana State who was dominating us in the 1st half and a 3-9 WKU team we beat on a blocked field goal.

That wasn't just bad coaching schemes. That team was weak, undeveloped, undisciplined, and just plain awful. We were the WORST team in Power 5 football. It is debatable if we would have even made a bowl in the MAC.

But lets look and see where the talent is, and I mean proven not what their star rating was in high school.

Offense. Jawon Pass is not good and one positive offseason isn't going to change anything. 3 years of not being developed is not going to change overnight. We heard how the offense was going to be better because Jawon was a better passer than Lamar? Remember how you all bought into that crap. How good he looked in practice? One good offseason is not going to change that fact. 3 years of bad habits aren't changing overnight. We have one proven guy in Dez, but the rest of the skill guys just had fast 40 times and hype from high school.

The offensive line? It has been pretty bad and gotten worse since Bobby arrived in 2014 Even when we were a playoff contender in 2016, the line was just awful. They are not really big/strong. They do not have depth. They haven't been developed properly until just this offseason. That just screams that the pass protection will be awful and no holes for the backfield. This ain't the Big East no more, these ACC lines will eat us up.

The entire defense I have no confidence in at all. We had a historically bad defense last year. After the Clemson game in 2016, the defense just continued to regress. Then we lost some guys to the draft and 2017 was awful but had a few highly talented players. Then we lost the last few talented guys we had and then we saw what we saw. The Charlie guys and the Grantham teaching was pretty much out the door. We are now on our 4th coordinator in 4 years.

I don't see corners who can cover, I don't see pass rushers who can get to the QB, and I don't see a front line that can push back against any run blocking scheme. This defense wasn't filled with good guys and just suddenly quit last year, none of them have ever been good.

Now can we be better in 2019? For sure and I expect it to be a bit better. We can stop the stupid penalties. We can be in the correct spot on the field. We can give 110% every down. But we have problems that are not being fixed over night.

Size, speed, and talent development cannot just pop up in 6 months. We are going against a top conference in college now. No more Rutgers or UConn's. We can't just work harder and the wins show up, it takes time. A total rebuild is needed and Satterfield is going to need time. We aren't bringing in top 25-30 classes every year where the talent level will just come up immediately. We are changing culture. It won't be fast, so don't get to antsy the first 2-3 years if we do not make a bowl.

2-10 or 3-9 is the only thing I can see. Not an indictment of CSS, but it's just a reality. A bad team learning a new system, that lost a lot of players and depth to transfer/graduation. And we didn't bring in really any new talent to add to the team. EKU, WKU, & possibly Wake.

Some of you forget that this was not a good team coming into last season. I remember making a thread at the end of 2017 saying how I was afraid that we were heading downhill fast. You all said I was being crazy and extreme.

Nothing last year screams this team just had sleeping talent that wasn't trying. We were not competitive against any Power 5 opponent we played other than Florida State. (FSU who beat FCS Samford by 10 at home). The only 2 teams we beat were a FCS Indiana State who was dominating us in the 1st half and a 3-9 WKU team we beat on a blocked field goal.

That wasn't just bad coaching schemes. That team was weak, undeveloped, undisciplined, and just plain awful. We were the WORST team in Power 5 football. It is debatable if we would have even made a bowl in the MAC.

But lets look and see where the talent is, and I mean proven not what their star rating was in high school.

Offense. Jawon Pass is not good and one positive offseason isn't going to change anything. 3 years of not being developed is not going to change overnight. We heard how the offense was going to be better because Jawon was a better passer than Lamar? Remember how you all bought into that crap. How good he looked in practice? One good offseason is not going to change that fact. 3 years of bad habits aren't changing overnight. We have one proven guy in Dez, but the rest of the skill guys just had fast 40 times and hype from high school.

The offensive line? It has been pretty bad and gotten worse since Bobby arrived in 2014 Even when we were a playoff contender in 2016, the line was just awful. They are not really big/strong. They do not have depth. They haven't been developed properly until just this offseason. That just screams that the pass protection will be awful and no holes for the backfield. This ain't the Big East no more, these ACC lines will eat us up.

The entire defense I have no confidence in at all. We had a historically bad defense last year. After the Clemson game in 2016, the defense just continued to regress. Then we lost some guys to the draft and 2017 was awful but had a few highly talented players. Then we lost the last few talented guys we had and then we saw what we saw. The Charlie guys and the Grantham teaching was pretty much out the door. We are now on our 4th coordinator in 4 years.

I don't see corners who can cover, I don't see pass rushers who can get to the QB, and I don't see a front line that can push back against any run blocking scheme. This defense wasn't filled with good guys and just suddenly quit last year, none of them have ever been good.

Now can we be better in 2019? For sure and I expect it to be a bit better. We can stop the stupid penalties. We can be in the correct spot on the field. We can give 110% every down. But we have problems that are not being fixed over night.

Size, speed, and talent development cannot just pop up in 6 months. We are going against a top conference in college now. No more Rutgers or UConn's. We can't just work harder and the wins show up, it takes time. A total rebuild is needed and Satterfield is going to need time. We aren't bringing in top 25-30 classes every year where the talent level will just come up immediately. We are changing culture. It won't be fast, so don't get to antsy the first 2-3 years if we do not make a bowl.
I don’t know why, but I sense a whiff of negativity here. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Reactions: Mayoman
At this point, the predictions come down as follows:
6-6: 5
5-7: 3
4-8: 4
3-9: 6

Nothing higher than 6 wins and nothing lower than 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT