ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Season Predictions

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
What is everybody's prediction win wise for the upcoming season? I'm thinking we'll surprise people the 1st year w/o Lamar. The OLine has GOT to be better w/o a doubt, and everybody thinks the D better show up and not be garbage.

Now here's my own prediction record wise and will most likely be wrong lol, 8-4 or 9-3.

I'm growing more optimistic as the season nears. I like what I heard from ACC Media Days yesterday. "Fastest team BP's had, balanced and better offense, an improved defense, Puma's a natural leader." I also like having a team under the radar. Historically, it seems that's when the Cards play their best. A month ago, I wouldn't have believed it. But, yes, I think 8, 9 wins is very attainable.

I'm growing more optimistic as the season nears. I like what I heard from ACC Media Days yesterday. "Fastest team BP's had, balanced and better offense, an improved defense, Puma's a natural leader." I also like having a team under the radar. Historically, it seems that's when the Cards play their best. A month ago, I wouldn't have believed it. But, yes, I think 8, 9 wins is very attainable.

8-4

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Not counting Bama and counting a bowl game....a very respectable 9-3 best case and 7-5 worst case. Gotta stay relatively injury free and the "D' needs to be there and show up in every game week in and week out.o_O

I feel pretty comfortable with the "O' and have no worries there.:)

Reactions: Rollem Cards
8-4. The D will be slightly better and the offense will be more balanced so I have 8-4 which still isnt great but will do.

8-4. The D will be slightly better and the offense will be more balanced so I have 8-4 which still isnt great but will do.

LoL....yep, 8-4 isn't great. It is pretty darn good vs the toughest schedule the Cardinals have ever faced. The top 2 ranked teams in the country plus perennial powerhouse FSU....not too shabby and something a Card fan only dreamed about in the not too distant past.

Last edited:
If we go 8-4 this year look at 2019 as a 10+ win or bust season. If we go 7-5 we are looking at a chance at a 10 win season if the defense gets its experience. If we go 6-6 look for 2019 to be another 9-3 or 8-4 year for sure. If we go 9-3 this year you can pretty much guarantee 10 wins next year barring injury next year. If we go 10-2 this year book your tickets to the CFP next year. Here are my thoughts on our record based on a major injury-free season. IE we don’t lose anybody important for more than 2-3 games. (Last year would have had Jaire as a major injury so predictions of 9-3 or 10-2 wouldn’t be bad).
Likelihood:
6-6: 10% likely losses: Bama, Clemson, FSU, BC, NC State, Wake Forest
7-5: 30% likely losses: Bama, Clemson, FSU, BC, NC State.
8-4: 30% likely losses: Bama, Clemson, BC, FSU
9-3: 20% likely losses: Bama, Clemson, FSU.
10-2: 10% likely losses: Bama, Clemson.
11-1: no chance
12-0: literally a joke.

8-4 or 9-3. So much will depend on how they are (physically and emotionally) after playing Bama. All phases of the Cards' game (O,D,ST) should be improved (except for QB running yards;)). If the D likes VanGorder, look out!

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Certain wins. Beat Indiana State and WKU.

Likely wins. Win 3 of 4 against Virginia, Georgia Tech, Syracuse and UK with Georgia Tech being most likely loss. Cards always seem to lose a game they really should win (BC last year and UK the year before) plus the Georgia Tech offense might give them fits. Syracuse always beats someone at home they have no business beating like they beat Clemson last year. Virginia always gives the Cards fits in Charlottesville. I almost put UK in the certain win group but I did that 2 years ago and look what happened.

Toss ups. Win 2 of 4 against Florida State, Boston College, Wake Forest and N.C. State. I hope Cards get 3 of 4 here with 3 of the games at Cardinal Stadium. Florida State has a new coach but lots of talent and an ax to grind for the last two years. Both Wake and NC State won last year convincingly. I think BC is the most likely win of this group even though it's at their place.

Almost certain losses. Lose to Bama and Clemson. Beating Bama is not realistic the first game of the season. I'm sure they'll lay an egg later in the year like they did against Miss St. last year but everyone gets keyed up for the first time you get to hit someone other than your own team mates. Beating Clemson is a possibility if they overlook the Cards but they have so many more tools than Louisville.

7-5 or 8-4 if I'm wrong about the toss up games.

By Steele's early numbers the Cards are dawgs in only 3 games (Bama +26, @ BC +3 and @ Clem's Son, +20). However, they are favored by 5 or less in 5 games (FSU, GT, WF, @Cuse, NC St). Key to an 8 win (or more) regular season is probably winning most, if not all, of the "close" ones, most of which are at home. JMO

Peace

Syracuse very often beats teams at home that they shouldn’t (Clemson last year, VaTech in 2016. They have an experienced QB.
Yeah, I’m just hoping for an outing like our 2016 game in the carrier. We just out classed them.

Week 5 FSU is coming here, 2 questions, 1 do you all think it'll be a night game and 2nd, will College GameDay be back for it when we're 3-1?

Week 5 FSU is coming here, 2 questions, 1 do you all think it'll be a night game and 2nd, will College GameDay be back for it when we're 3-1?

Nope. Ohio State v Penn State that week. Also Florida at Miss St (which is compelling given Mullen just left there)

If FSU is 4-0 or 3-0 probably. However, OSU and penn st is good. MSU and UF will probably not get it. Also, I think it depends how close we play Bama.

If FSU is 4-0 or 3-0 probably. However, OSU and penn st is good. MSU and UF will probably not get it. Also, I think it depends how close we play Bama.

Miss St and UF will almost certainly both be 4-0 when they play (they both play UK before that game). Mullen returning to Starkville will be a big story.

I guess the only other factor that could be favorable is that CBS will probably carry the UF game and the OSU-PSU game will be on Fox.

While I would love College GameDay to come back again for the FSU game, I would take a night game more.

I think it will be a noon game. From a prime time situation the noon start is less appealing than the 3:30 or night game times. I prefer day games for Saturday college football, but that’s just me.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Attendance concerns are real with Lamar being gone and the constant controversies surrounding some aspects of the university and major sports.

Attendance concerns are real with Lamar being gone and the constant controversies surrounding some aspects of the university and major sports.

Major sport, not major "sports." I think the new stadium additions and video boards will add to fan excitement. The first home game always brings a good crowd. People are ready for football. Then WKU, that should be well attended. There will be a packed house for FSU. Ga. Tech on a Friday night, forget about it. Close out the home game season with WF, NCST, and UK. We should all go to the WF game to save ourselves the misery from the tv announcers reminding us of the Colburn situation. Now, if the Cards falter along the way, sure, attendance will be down. If not, attendance will be fine.

Attendance won’t be a problem as soon as we get in a P5 confer.....opps. Never mind. :eek:

Wins: Ind St, VA, WKU, WF, Cuse
Losses: Clemson, Bama
Coin Flips: BC, GT, FSU, NCST, UK
5-7 to 10-2 is the gap. I think we beat BC, NCST, UK
Prediction: 8-4

I could be wrong but, I think season tickets will be mailed out some time this week. Every year when mine is delivered, I get pretty excited cause I know that when they arrive, the season is very close.

Wins: Ind St, VA, WKU, WF, Cuse, UK
Losses: Clemson, Bama, FSU
Coin Flips: BC, GT, NCST

Wins: Ind St, VA, WKU, WF, Cuse, UK
Losses: Clemson, Bama, FSU
Coin Flips: BC, GT, NCST

Wake beat us like a rag doll last year and returns much of its talent (they lost their QB and 2 defensive players that got drafted). I’d say at best that’s a coin flip game.

Here’s the preseason projections. Where are you after 3 games:

My head says 4-8. My heart says 5-7. Other than the kicking game, we have major question marks with every position group.

4-8

We beat FSU and UVA and then drop 7 straight. Ga Tech beats us to death with their blocking and BC absolutely man handles them the next week. Clemson will pull their starters in the 3rd and Cuse will punt less than 3 times against us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT