ADVERTISEMENT

2017 NCAA Head Coach Salaries per USA Today

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Petrino #21, right between Butch Jones and Mark Stoops.

LMFAO

Harbaugh #3. Rich Rod #5. Jimbo #6.

I've read references to Petrino not being worth his salary. He certainly hasn't performed as badly as many have implied. I'm not even a strong defender of the guy, I've been critical.

But when you take a look at data - again, he is sandwiched in pay rate per USA between one guy that got canned another guy that is awful as well.

So.... thoughts?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Well you can be critical but whom would you rather have? At least at the same salary.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Capt Tony
Petrino isn’t overpaid, the guy right behind him is 26-36.

The positive with CBP is that we do know his potential. That potential is proven in his first stint here and in his stint in Arkansas. Yes we did have LJ but we also had a weak, young and unproven offensive line. Plus our defense was questionable, at the least. I think when all things are considered he has done a pretty damn good job here.

Reactions: landwrecker
The positive with CBP is that we do know his potential. That potential is proven in his first stint here and in his stint in Arkansas.
Yes, and all that "potential" was seen in the first four years at both places.

We're in a big question ? mark period now. New territory with no idea what we're going to be this year.

Hoping for a bowl, in year five, is not the potential I'm looking for.

That said, I'm hopeful that we continue to score enough to have a chance to win most games.

But expectations for me have dropped tremendously.

Well you can be critical but whom would you rather have? At least at the same salary.

You asked

Jeff-Brohm.jpg

Reactions: wilkie01
So would you “fire” Bobby just to bring Jeff here? At this point, I would not. That does not mean I don’t like Jeff but he isn’t proven yet and Bobby Petrino is actually proven at the top levels of college football. PS: my fear is a guy like Jeff ends up at uahkay and that would be a disaster for me.

Reactions: zipp
So would you “fire” Bobby just to bring Jeff here? At this point, I would not. That does not mean I don’t like Jeff but he isn’t proven yet and Bobby Petrino is actually proven at the top levels of college football. PS: my fear is a guy like Jeff ends up at uahkay and that would be a disaster for me.

Jeff would/will never coach at the special needs team of the SEC,BKA as the uofk wildcayuts.
Did not Jeff coach under Petrino?
You trust Petrino, you can trust Jeff. Purdue was predicted to win 4 games. They won 7.

Petrino no longer has the fire he had as 40-9.

Jeff would/will never coach at the special needs team of the SEC,BKA as the uofk wildcayuts.
Did not Jeff coach under Petrino?
You trust Petrino, you can trust Jeff. Purdue was predicted to win 4 games. They won 7.

So do I understand that you want Bobby Petrino fired? Hmmmmmmm that’s a reach, a real reach. You and I agree a lot on issues that are discussed on these boards but we apparently disagree on this. I think Jeff is a wonderful option for UofL but not until Petrino is gone and I do not think he should be fired based on “Petrino no longer has the fire he had as 40-9”. Jeff learned a bunch from Bobby both at UofL and WKU.

So do I understand that you want Bobby Petrino fired? Hmmmmmmm that’s a reach, a real reach. You and I agree a lot on issues that are discussed on these boards but we apparently disagree on this. I think Jeff is a wonderful option for UofL but not until Petrino is gone and I do not think he should be fired based on “Petrino no longer has the fire he had as 40-9”. Jeff learned a bunch from Bobby both at UofL and WKU.

2018 is year 5 of Petrino, he had better show great improvement or get the hell out of Louisville!

Reactions: KerryRhodes

Why doesn't he have the fire ?
He was given his ONLY chance at a P5 job. He has better players, better conference,
clear path to the playoffs, Heisman winner and yet the only his only bowl win was
a 1 point win over A&M who just lost their stsrting and backup QBs.

If the fire is gone or waning, pass the torch to someone who will bring the fire.

Why doesn't he have the fire ?
He was given his ONLY chance at a P5 job. He has better players, better conference,
clear path to the playoffs, Heisman winner and yet the only his only bowl win was
a 1 point win over A&M who just lost their stsrting and backup QBs.

If the fire is gone or waning, pass the torch to someone who will bring the fire.

Again, I ask, so at this point you would fire him?

He also is not playing CUSA/BE/AAC competition now either.

If you don't think he is playing a much tougher schedule week in and week out now in a much improved ACC, there is nothing that can be said to reason with you.

When you add 10-15 years experience as a head coach from 1.0....the fire comes in the way of wisdom, wisdom of the game.....and the realization that there is much more that one way to coach and achieve success and respect the players and the game.....and still win.

Also, the attitude and temperament of the players is much different for 2.0 vs 1.0.

Time stands still for no man. Or CFB HC either. Failure to recognize that is not only unfair but unfounded.

Trite little one liners like KR's are glib and darn near impossible to prove, much less take seriously. And makes the author of such look pretty petty. What have your ever accomplished as a coach? Of any sport? Please enlighten us common folk.

Reactions: gocds and zipp

He also is not playing CUSA/BE/AAC competition now either.

If you don't think he is playing a much tougher schedule week in and week out now in a much improved ACC, there is nothing that can be said to reason with you.

When you add 10-15 years experience as a head coach from 1.0....the fire comes in the way of wisdom, wisdom of the game.....and the realization that there is much more that one way to coach and achieve success and respect the players and the game.....and still win.

Also, the attitude and temperament of the players is much different for 2.0 vs 1.0.

Time stands still for no man. Or CFB HC either. Failure to recognize that is not only unfair but unfounded.

Trite little one liners like KR's are glib and darn near impossible to prove, much less take seriously. And makes the author of such look pretty petty. What have your ever accomplished as a coach? Of any sport? Please enlighten us common folk.

2006 Big East was better than the ACC. Big East Champion beat the ACC Champion.
2006 final AP poll 3 big east teams finished in the top 12. Highest finish for ACC was #17.

A more experienced coach should have an easier time coaching than one who got his 1st HC
job at UofL. Remember everyone was glad Charlie left because Petrino going into the ACC
meant reaching unprecedented heights. Hasnt hapened. They were beaten at home by BC. Gave up 45.

Dont give a damn whether you take my post serious or not. PETRINO's record speaks for
itself. They couldnt even win a meaningless exhibition against a bunch of grad assistants coaches.

You accept 4 million dollars worth of mediocrity. I dont.

Unreasonable is as unreasonable does.

The 2006 ACC was much < 2013 to present ACC. No question about that based on national results of ACC champion.

2006 was only one year and a anomaly year for the BE at that. A lot of Card fans believed that the BE was as good are better than the ACC back then.

I agree with you about losing this years bowl game....is/was bad MOJO and should not have happened.

I will stand by my comment that your glib one liner is improvable and snarky petty.

What is your definition of mediocrity? Mine would be 6-6 or worse. So his results have been above average and against better teams than he faced as 1.0

What he gets paid is irrelevant to this discussion. Fair market value.

What he does in years 5 and 6 with players that are totally his, recruited by him and him as the only HC those players will have known will mark the tale of his 2.0 reign and will be the proof in the pudding.....or not.

Cards would be foolish to get rid of the badly needed stability he brings to the program at this point in time. Don't give Postel, BoT, and Tyra any more bad ideas. Be careful what you wish for.

Unreasonable is as unreasonable does.

The 2006 ACC was much < 2013 to present ACC. No question about that based on national results of ACC champion.

2006 was only one year and a anomaly year for the BE at that. A lot of Card fans believed that the BE was as good are better than the ACC back then.

I agree with you about losing this years bowl game....is/was bad MOJO and should not have happened.

I will stand by my comment that your glib one liner is improvable and snarky petty.

What is your definition of mediocrity? Mine would be 6-6 or worse. So his results have been above average and against better teams than he faced as 1.0

What he gets paid is irrelevant to this discussion. Fair market value.

What he does in years 5 and 6 with players that are totally his, recruited by him and him as the only HC those players will have known will mark the tale of his 2.0 reign and will be the proof in the pudding.....or not.

Cards would be foolish to get rid of the badly needed stability he brings to the program at this point in time. Don't give Postel, BoT, and Tyra any more bad ideas. Be careful what you wish for.

You would be happy with sub par years and Bowl losses, it appears.
petrino.jpg

We tied for first in the toughest division in the toughest conference in 2016.

Yet couldn't beat Houston, SuCkS on Senior day, and suprise-suprise Flame out in a bowl
game against a SEC team.

2017 schedule weakest since C-USA days, yet couldnt beat BC at home or Wake.
AND suprise-suprise Flame out in a bowl game against a SEC team.

Like someone else said, “I’d be careful what you wish for”. And, of course, that includes pinning for a “local” guy to be our head coach. His time may come but not until Coach Petrino decides it’s time. Maybe, just maybe, all of this crappola in our athletic department has had an effect on CBP and I think the jury is still out on that situation. Perhaps Vince Tyra has a good relationship with Coach Petrino. I sure hope so, but if he doesn’t then you just might get your wish. I’ll have to give you credit for admitting that you want Bobby fired, but I do have to ask “if Jeff Brohm wasn’t available whom would you replace Bobby with?”

Like someone else said, “I’d be careful what you wish for”. And, of course, that includes pinning for a “local” guy to be our head coach. His time may come but not until Coach Petrino decides it’s time. Maybe, just maybe, all of this crappola in our athletic department has had an effect on CBP and I think the jury is still out on that situation. Perhaps Vince Tyra has a good relationship with Coach Petrino. I sure hope so, but if he doesn’t then you just might get your wish. I’ll have to give you credit for admitting that you want Bobby fired, but I do have to ask “if Jeff Brohm wasn’t available whom would you replace Bobby with?”

Tyra is interim. The AD needs to be permanent.

Alot of you were 'pinning' for Bobby to return despite having a Sugar Bowl winning coach.
You know his leaving begat kragdud and 3 miserable yrs of football.

If Petrino is just going to mail it in for 4 mill a yr, get the local hometown hero
who is hungry enough to win the Atlantic.

I no longer think Bobby is.

Last edited:
You are entitled. I simply disagree with you. Jeff’s day may come someday, but for now, I prefer Bobby Petrino and his years of experience. But thats just me.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yet couldn't beat Houston, SuCkS on Senior day, and suprise-suprise Flame out in a bowl
game against a SEC team.

2017 schedule weakest since C-USA days, yet couldnt beat BC at home or Wake.
AND suprise-suprise Flame out in a bowl game against a SEC team.

The guys on all the teams you mentioned get scholarships too.

I think all of us would be thrilled with Jeff Brohm is Petrino were to move on. But you acting like Louisville is in some position to fire Petrino is utterly ridiculous. Theoretically UofL could be on the hook for $50M between TJ and RP. So unless you have a trust fund to dip into, your notion that UofL is going to can Petrino is a total waste of time.

The positive with CBP is that we do know his potential. That potential is proven in his first stint here and in his stint in Arkansas. Yes we did have LJ but we also had a weak, young and unproven offensive line. Plus our defense was questionable, at the least. I think when all things are considered he has done a pretty damn good job here.

Petrino 1.0 would have been a bargain at this salary. Petrino 2.0 is not performing nearly as well. I don't see the same well coached, precise, focused system I remember then. I see a coach expecting a great running "duel threat quarterback" to make decisions and adjustments like Tom Brady.

Petrino 1.0 would have been a bargain at this salary. Petrino 2.0 is not performing nearly as well. I don't see the same well coached, precise, focused system I remember then. I see a coach expecting a great running "duel threat quarterback" to make decisions and adjustments like Tom Brady.

Same here. And Lamar as great as he was, could not read defenses very well nor see blizes coming.

Same here. And Lamar as great as he was, could not read defenses very well nor see blizes coming.
Wouldn’t matter if he could, there weren’t any check down receivers or hot reads to throw to. Petrino simply expected him to be able to avoid any rush and buy himself enough time until someone got open. That works against the uk’s of the world but, not the Clemsons, LSUs, etc.

What Knucklehank said, we can't afford to fire CBP, got to ride out his current contract for another year or two. The athletics department is in a financial mess that can get far worse quickly. But, the CBP experience line of thought, Brohm has more head coaching experience at this time than CCS had when he came. Being a realist, we're 3-4 years from that even being a possibility. Having been coached by Schnelly makes Brohm my future pick and the whole family deserved to be treated better than to be sold out and thrown under the bus because of TJ's loyalty ("ego") with Krags.

Reactions: American Male
Wouldn’t matter if he could, there weren’t any check down receivers or hot reads to throw to. Petrino simply expected him to be able to avoid any rush and buy himself enough time until someone got open. That works against the uk’s of the world but, not the Clemsons, LSUs, etc.

I agree with wilkie. In spite of super human running ability, Lamar's inability to make adjustments at the line or find the right receivers plus our failure to use our running backs made it impossible to protect Jackson. Also, he took too many sacks by refusing to throw the ball away. No one can argue that he accumulated a lot of big numbers but we were still often operating on 4 of 8 cylinders and could not sustain drives or move the ball in the red zone often enough.

What Knucklehank said, we can't afford to fire CBP, got to ride out his current contract for another year or two. The athletics department is in a financial mess that can get far worse quickly. But, the CBP experience line of thought, Brohm has more head coaching experience at this time than CCS had when he came. Being a realist, we're 3-4 years from that even being a possibility. Having been coached by Schnelly makes Brohm my future pick and the whole family deserved to be treated better than to be sold out and thrown under the bus because of TJ's loyalty ("ego") with Krags.
I know that this is the conventional wisdom - that the Brohms collectively hate Jurich - and it may be true but, someone with knowledge of the situation is going to have to explain to me why TJ is getting any shade. IIRC, He who shall not be named didn't want Jeff Brohm on the staff but basically was told by Jurich that he needed (had) to retain him because of who he was, and of course because of Brian being the starting QB.

When stuff started going south, HWSNBN did what all HCs do, he threw coordinators under the bus in an effort to deflect blame and IMO, TJ did what all ADs do in that situation - he let the HC control his staff. How can that objectively be construed as "ego" on TJ's part? Unless I've missed it, I can't remember a single example of an AD that sided with an asst. coach over the HC in a situation like that. When it became completely clear that the program was being incompetently run into the ditch - Jurich canned the idiot.

Someone enlighten me please...

I agree with wilkie. In spite of super human running ability, Lamar's inability to make adjustments at the line or find the right receivers plus our failure to use our running backs made it impossible to protect Jackson. Also, he took too many sacks by refusing to throw the ball away. No one can argue that he accumulated a lot of big numbers but we were still often operating on 4 of 8 cylinders and could not sustain drives or move the ball in the red zone often enough.
Maybe last year but, the only sacks he took this year were when he turned around and he had someone in his face and he would have taken a shit ton more but he broke tackles to get free. As good as the receiving group can be - they are collectively unable to beat 1 on 1 coverages. 90% of the yardage they got were against zone coverage. A failure to use running backs would be on Petrino. Also as a genius playcaller - doesn't it make sense that you would call plays to minimize a defense's ability to get to the QB quickly? No receiver or RB screens, no slants, no quick outs - everything was 12 yds + down the field. Clearly that didn't work against defenses that can rush the passer with 4 or 5 guys. Watch good balanced offenses - they mix things up - Clemson was awesome with that type of stuff with Watson, it gave him time to look downfield and it made his ability to run even more effective.

You can put some of that on LJ but the majority of it goes on Petrino - he's the one calling the plays.

Reactions: American Male
I feel the same way about Jeff Brohm that I feel about David Padgett... There's no need to rush a decision.

Brohm will be out there for years if he really has a yearning to return to his alma mater. And if he doesn't, you'll find out when you recruit him in a decade or so to take over for Petrino. In the meantime, best of luck to him...

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
I mean really we have the guy we're going to have unless he decides to take his ball and go.

So I get the venting, I've done it. But at the end of the day there are just some ridiculous expectations out there and a lot of fans don't realize how hard it is to just win 8 games.

Had this team completely fallen apart I'd consider joining in the jumping off the cliff but people are acting like 8 wins is awful and it just isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT