ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Big picture (early view)

tkdcoach

Four-Star Poster
Sep 4, 2001
Today will tell us a lot about the top of the pile in college football but we've already learned one thing for sure (and a thing that many ...but not all...on this board have been saying all along: That the SEC West teams that pole-vaulted to the top of the rankings by beating TAMU and similar overrated conference foes were in fact...themselves overrated.

Ole Miss was the biggest poser followed closely by their in-state rivals and LSU. Good teams...but not THAT GOOD. Not vastly superior to Top 25 teams from other conferences.

Not that it's not a great conference lol...UGA put it to us although with the exception of Chubb I never felt like we were outclassed entirely just kind of caught in a jam of injuries and inexperience at QB and a little lacking in defensive depth (you don't stop UGA's rushing attack by turning the ball right back over to them).

Anyway, it's pretty amazing that UGA didn't win the SEC east after shutting down Mizzou...that's too bad for them. Bama might still win it all but I think FSU might surprise and hold court ...we will soon know.

My conclusion? Parity between the leading SEC and the rest of us is a lot closer to reality than the myth of SEC superiority is to reality...it's the best conference IMO but the superiority myth is maintained by the circle jerk scheduling by SEC teams and ESPN's money on the table. They have a vested interest in their own bias so don't look for any of these facts to cause a reality check to be written. Only wins over the long haul will do that.

Can't say that I don't understand why they do what they do but it's still bs when you get right down to it. The playoffs should be for conference champs only IMO (unless they're ready to expand it).

This post was edited on 1/1 9:23 AM by tkdcoach

SEC west formula to the CFP is simple. Play no tough OOC games on the road and rely on the committee's bias to keep one of your teams in the Top 4. The fact they even publicly admit this is even more frustrating.

Originally posted by tkdcoach:
Today will tell us a lot about the top of the pile in college football but we've already learned one thing for sure (and a thing that many ...but not all...on this board have been saying all along: That the SEC West teams that pole-vaulted to the top of the rankings by beating TAMU and similar overrated conference foes were in fact...themselves overrated.

Ole Miss was the biggest poser followed closely by their in-state rivals and LSU. Good teams...but not THAT GOOD. Not vastly superior to Top 25 teams from other conferences.

Not that it's not a great conference lol...UGA put it to us although with the exception of Chubb I never felt like we were outclassed entirely just kind of caught in a jam of injuries and inexperience at QB and a little lacking in defensive depth (you don't stop UGA's rushing attack by turning the ball right back over to them).

Anyway, it's pretty amazing that UGA didn't win the SEC east after shutting down Mizzou...that's too bad for them. Bama might still win it all but I think FSU might surprise and hold court ...we will soon know.

My conclusion? Parity between the leading SEC and the rest of us is a lot closer to reality than the myth of SEC superiority is to reality...it's the best conference IMO but the superiority myth is maintained by the circle jerk scheduling by SEC teams and ESPN's money on the table. They have a vested interest in their own bias so don't look for any of these facts to cause a reality check to be written. Only wins over the long haul will do that.

Can't say that I don't understand why they do what they do but it's still bs when you get right down to it. The playoffs should be for conference champs only IMO (unless they're ready to expand it).

This post was edited on 1/1 9:23 AM by tkdcoach
Nice post.....totally agree with your comments especially the ones that I bolded. Results on the field have proven that the SEC West was vastly over hyped and over rated.

Glad we finally have the FF.....now OSU needs to beat Bama....and fans of CFB will have heaven on earth......except the SEC wing nuts that is.

I thought Georgia's O-Line was extremely good. We never got to the QB, and when GA threw they had plenty of time. Also, they wore us down late so that Chubb could get into our secondary.

Georgia's offensive line was very good. A good unit that was there all season. Chubbs is a heck of a load at RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT