ADVERTISEMENT

1st Three Games

I was shocked at Satt’s confidence in our defense. The kids tried, but we were undersized up front, and terribly inexperienced in the secondary. Air Force exposed our defense in every series, and should have demonstrated sufficient evidence in that 2nd half that holding a lead without sufficient depth and talent is impossible in D1 college football.

I was shocked at Satt’s confidence in our defense. The kids tried, but we were undersized up front, and terribly inexperienced in the secondary. Air Force exposed our defense in every series, and should have demonstrated sufficient evidence in that 2nd half that holding a lead without sufficient depth and talent is impossible in D1 college football.
I think it's almost futile to judge teams on what they did in their prior bowl these days, and it's been that way for the better part of a decade. Rarely do you get a non-playoff or traditional New Year's Day bowl where both teams are capping off their season with the same goals. With kids opting out left and right and so frequently coaching changes between the end of the regular season and the bowl itself you aren't getting a matchup of teams with intact coaching staffs and a full roster. Heck we stitched together a secondary for Air Force's wishbone and they had some receiver who will be flying Fighters in six years setting a receiving record. It was the Keystone Kops.

...that said, people can howl for more blitzes until the next Full Moon and it will produce misery if you don't have realistic coverage people. Clark is a very good 1v1 defender, but Chandler Jones is really a zone coverage CB and there is a good reason he is picked on. He's not in the Antonio Roundtree category of exploited but more in the Trumaine Washington category, and if you have forgotten who Washington is just watch any highlight of the 2016 Clemson game because he's featured in them. Somewhere when you blitz you have a Safety isolated on a slot receiver or a LB--a LB for the record from among a Sanogo, or a Montgomery--on either an RB or TE. I would hope we would learn the valuable lesson of using Abdullah's skill set in a way not dissimilar to Dumervil in 2005 (and it should be noted, Abdullah's TFL numbers look a whole lot like Dumervil's Junior numbers). The key isn't so much to get Abdullah into the backfield, it's to force overloads on the line of scrimmage to ensure a back or a TE has to stay in for at least chipping protection. Montgomery is a guy that was very effective in blitzing situations in 2021, so getting him up an A gap with Lole on the field creates some big play opportunities up the gut and that's two pieces of personnel we didn't really have in 2021.

I do not know the man, never met him, but I will give it a go and answer your question.

Timing is the answer. It was just bad timing.

Brohm got his first big job with Purdue, and after a huge one year improvement with the team, he was on his way of building his reputation as a exciting, aggressive young coach. Purdue fans were excited and recruiting was upgraded.

Then all of a sudden, his hometown school where he played had to fire Bobby Petrino in the middle of the season. Brohm's world got more complicated as he knew he was the man who would get the first offer.

Now a self centered, selfish coach would have dropped Purdue with little to no regard of what that would do to the team. Maybe Jeff Brohm is not that kind of coach? Maybe he believes in loyalty, especially when he has the entire Purdue fanbase begging him to stay?

I think we all know Brohm wanted to ultimately get the UofL gig, but he had to weigh everything that could come from a decision to bolt to Louisville. I think the guilt of letting so many people down just one year into being the head coach outweighed his dream of being the head man at his Alma mater.

He didn't want to start his coaching career like the coach he would be replacing. There is plenty of time to get the Louisville job but only one time to start a career with integrity.

So he decided to stay at Purdue and trust that he didn't burn any bridges with UofL. I think he's got nothing to worry about because if Satterfield decides to move on or is told to leave. Jeff Brohm would be more than ready to accept.
Uh-huh. Right.

CH

You can put aside the Bowl Game against Air Force, the confidence Satterfield placed in his defense that I described was visible throughout the entire season. The loss to UK was actually an even better example, as it was clearly evident that punting the ball over to UK was only increasing the distance UK ahad to cover before scoring.

Our defense was woefully undersized and out-manned at several key defensive positions.

Reactions: Guardman
CH

The loss to UK was actually an even better example, as it was clearly evident that punting the ball over to UK was only increasing the distance UK ahad to cover before scoring.

Our defense was woefully undersized and out-manned at several key defensive positions.
I try to stay with my statement made to UK fans back when we were playing them in Game One that writing a new player's name into a depth chart doesn't constitute tangible depth. We finished #100+ in some defensive stat and that means we are improved because one of the flunkies that contributed to that has moved on, so we have to be better or logic to that effect. I'm like everyone else in being somewhat blown away by how Satterfield is recruiting, but that comes with the caveat that in two classes he still hasn't gotten a commitment from a coveted HS defensive tackle and Popeye Williams seems to be the extent of big, active bodies brought to campus out of HS. Offensive skill position recruiting is otherworldly. He has commitments from as heavily recruited a group of offensive linemen as we have seen at any time at Louisville regardless of coach. He has commitments from highly coveted DBs and really has recruited that position at Louisville better than any one position group since he's been here...problem is those kids are at Oklahoma, Florida State, et al.

...and that is the difference between where we sit today and how we can compare to prior Louisville editions. John L. got to campus and had a 235 LB NT starting against UK that was renowned for his Track and Field talents and inherited Mike Gantous next to him but nothing else. Petrino got Dumervil who didn't emerge until his junior year but landed Amobi Okoye in his first class; Ty Satterwhite was inherited and I remember when I talked to a startled Oregon State fan at halftime of our game with them back in 2005 him saying "we didn't see this type of size and quickness in Baton Rouge last year". Petrino II inherited an embarrassment of riches by comparison with Mauldin, Rankins and Deangelo Brown. Four years in and I think it's fair to say Ashton Gillotte is the extent of quality defensive line recruit under Satterfield. You want to take that next step to clear from basically where we sit today--and that is like it or not peer only to Florida State but behind NC State and Pitt in the defensive front seven in trying to catch up with Clemson--not to mention that depth and quality of depth at UK is significantly clear of where we are in the front seven. My God we would be annointing their freshman NT from Detroit as Manna from the Heavens, and he isn't even going to get reps with their ones.

Somehow despite coaching churn we have put together a legitimate, high caliber ACC topping offensive line. That shouldn't be dismissed because if you stack it next to Florida State and the embarrassment of riches that is their proximity to talent there isn't much comparison and it's been like that for them seemingly for years. But we don't have quality depth in our front seven defensively, so when we offer up we are improved there has to be the bullet of yeah we are improved, but we are always one injury away from playing somebody at linebacker or on the defensive line that is a long way from being someone you are confident can have a quality impact in 70 reps from scrimmage...our 2nd string in the defensive front seven wouldn't have seen the field at any point with what Charlie Strong fielded.

Last edited:
Agree with a lot on here. But our problem has been the continued changing of Coaching staffs and position coached. We NEED this staff to stay together for at least two more years. I hate to mention them sum bothes to the east. But it took Stoops what 7 years to get a program that was close to a top 30 team. Give these guys a chance. Thank you Cycle from above also. Win these first two games and it will one helluva of an electric Friday night in Cardinal stadium for FSU. As always GO CARDS.

Agree with a lot on here. But our problem has been the continued changing of Coaching staffs and position coached. We NEED this staff to stay together for at least two more years. I hate to mention them sum bothes to the east. But it took Stoops what 7 years to get a program that was close to a top 30 team. Give these guys a chance. Thank you Cycle from above also. Win these first two games and it will one helluva of an electric Friday night in Cardinal stadium for FSU. As always GO CARDS.
Cards need continuity on coaching staff. If Satterfield hangs in, I expect REALLY great things in another 2 or 3 seasons.

I think he's a good coach.

It's true the Cards have had more than their share of bad luck or misfortune. I almost expect to see it on every TD. We lost at least two games in my opinion when a late TD was called back to a holding penalty that there wasn't even have a replay of.

But it's true that the Cards bad choices leads to those unlucky plays. Satterfield's play calling with a lead allowed the opponents to stay in the game. It's like the phantom holding penalty or the blown replay call is punishment.

My biggest beef with Satterfield is him being the OC. I can agree on a run first approach but he is way too predictable. Malik has saved his share of bad play calls.
I tend to agree about the statement in regards to Satterfield being the OC. We are supposed to have a dynamic quarterback. I'm still waiting for him to show it but maybe its the playcalling that's holding him back.

I agree, he turned his back on UL when we needed him the most. He wants to coach here now because it benefits HIM.

Hard pass from me.

The Brohm family has given more to UofL football than any other. Decisions are complex and frankly the fact that he felt like he owed Purdue more than two years speaks to his character. We pretty quickly passed on Kenny Payne when we hired Chris Mack. I’m glad he didn’t dig his feet in when we came back with our tail between our legs this go around.

Reactions: TheRealVille
The Brohm family has given more to UofL football than any other. Decisions are complex and frankly the fact that he felt like he owed Purdue more than two years speaks to his character. We pretty quickly passed on Kenny Payne when we hired Chris Mack. I’m glad he didn’t dig his feet in when we came back with our tail between our legs this go around.
AND UofL has given a ton back to their family as well. And I'm sure there are families out there that would argue that they have given to UofL as much as the Brohm's. I, and my children (2 of 3), have all been educated at UofL. The other at UD and then at a law school in Florida, but she is a die hard UofL fan. UofL is there to serve the public good and owes no family any more than the best possible public education available and that is exactly what they do. The Brohm family had options and CHOSE to attend UofL so let's not give all the credit to their family as UofL did exactly what it promised to do. We made a very legitimate offer to Jeff Brohm and he refused the offer. So we had to move on and we did. Every situation is different including the situation with Kenny Payne. It's unfair, in my opinion, to compare it with the Brohm situation. Our offer to Jeff was as legitimate as any and he chose NOT to take it. So there is that.

GO CARDS!!!

I’m not sure we care what KP “might” have done Yet.

We’re all hoping he’s all that with a cherry on top. But…

He’s proved nothing yet.

Nothing

I’m not sure we care what KP “might” have done Yet.

We’re all hoping he’s all that with a cherry on top. But…

He’s proved nothing yet.

Nothing

Fair enough…results are all that matter. So why give a crap who jilted us or who we jilted? I think that’s probably the best way to analyze sports.

AND UofL has given a ton back to their family as well. And I'm sure there are families out there that would argue that they have given to UofL as much as the Brohm's. I, and my children (2 of 3), have all been educated at UofL. The other at UD and then at a law school in Florida, but she is a die hard UofL fan. UofL is there to serve the public good and owes no family any more than the best possible public education available and that is exactly what they do. The Brohm family had options and CHOSE to attend UofL so let's not give all the credit to their family as UofL did exactly what it promised to do. We made a very legitimate offer to Jeff Brohm and he refused the offer. So we had to move on and we did. Every situation is different including the situation with Kenny Payne. It's unfair, in my opinion, to compare it with the Brohm situation. Our offer to Jeff was as legitimate as any and he chose NOT to take it. So there is that.

GO CARDS!!!

If one of your children turned down a job offer at UofL, I would hope that wouldn’t then preclude them from future employment opportunities at the university.

Reactions: TheRealVille
Fair enough…results are all that matter. So why give a crap who jilted us or who we jilted? I think that’s probably the best way to analyze sports.
We all should know, “sports” TODAY doesn’t give a rat about us.

Coaches don’t. They bail for the highest check.

Player’s don’t. See “the portal” and “nil”.

so all that matters is W’s and L’s.

I don’t know what we offered Brohm but I’d imagine it was as much as Purdue. He chose to stay at Purdue. Perhaps he is cut differently than most other coaches who “bail for the highest check”. Regardless, if all that matters is wins and losses then there is no point in being chapped if he previously turned us down.

Another most enjoyable read from CH, well-stated and accurate as always.

I know that Charlie Strong may not be as appreciated here based on his untimely departure, as coming off of the Sugar Bowl win over UF could have been a rather huge springboard towards National prominence. A lot has happened in college football since then, and no one can blame Charlie for jumping at the Texas money and prestige, but the attraction Charlie brought to HS recruiting was unprecedented. It took him a while to move the hyper-talented kids on to the right side of the football and into the positions that best fit their ability and the need of the team, but no coaching candidate could recruit as effectively on both sides of the football as Strong.

Jeff is as good as anyone at coaching the QB position, and advancing the passing game, but I see no evidence that he could be any more successful at UL in putting a defense together than Satterfield, or for that matter any other potential candidates that might emerge later.

Satterfield needs to work on recruiting big DL-men, or we will remain vulnerable to stopping any opponent that has a dominant rushing attack.

I have said this often football is a monster. It takes time to rebuild. It was a rebuild process we can all agree with that. In my opinion that is a 4 year process in becoming a good program. We are sitting in year 4 let’s see how it goes.

South Carolina has more context with his dad’s passing. He was close with his dad. I get it.

Looking back Covid wasn’t handled very well by the entire athletic department. That isn’t a criticism because no one knew the right path.

Figuring out the difference between App St and Louisville especially in building a roster took 1-2 many classes.

I actually think he is a good fit for Louisville, but he has to win this year.

Except you're wrong. I sincerely believe Jeff didn't bail the first time we offered based on his loyalty to his players. The timing just was not right. I agree that for the most part, money is the main reason but its not always the only reason.

I have said this often football is a monster. It takes time to rebuild. It was a rebuild process we can all agree with that. In my opinion that is a 4 year process in becoming a good program. We are sitting in year 4 let’s see how it goes.

South Carolina has more context with his dad’s passing. He was close with his dad. I get it.

Looking back Covid wasn’t handled very well by the entire athletic department. That isn’t a criticism because no one knew the right path.

Figuring out the difference between App St and Louisville especially in building a roster took 1-2 many classes.

Agree but will say:

-we had one coach completely QUIT on us after his Dad passed. Anyone who says that’s doesn’t have different effects on different people either haven’t been through it, or ha no emotions.

-some keep referring to the difficulty of this year’s schedule, so with that in mind, I’ll be content with a hard hitting, disciplined, competitive-til-the-end team. However, I do believe we will win some that many on here say we won’t because I believe, if MC stays healthy, we are going to be really good

-App St shows that he is definitely a good FB coach

Reactions: Mayoman
I want to forgive and forget the clumsy dalliance Satterfield had with the Gamecock’s opening, and hopefully that was an anomaly for Scott and his family. This 2023 recruiting class could be one of the most compelling reasons for him to settle in right here and focus on what he has rather than thinking about other opportunities.

Reactions: WKCard and Mayoman
This is potentially the best class ever and early word is 2024 is going to be solid.

Winning this year solidifies the class. They lay an egg a lot of things could change in a hurry.

That is 100% correct Cycle! Satterfield and UL’s future depends on having a successful 2022-23 season in order to keep this amazing 2023 class intact.

Reactions: gocds and nccardfan
Syracuse, UCF, FSU. This will be the most important stretch of games in Satt’s career. If he goes 3-0, we are well positioned for success. 2-1 and we are basically continuing our slightly above average ways but would have optimism for the rest of the season. 1-2 or 0-3 would totally derail the momentum we have gotten from recruiting and would put us back on Jeff Brohm watch.

1-2 or 0-3, he won't make it through the season because Heird will FARRR that sonofabeyitch (as he should).

Satt has to show me (just like the supposed "suddenly good ACC" with its 5 Top 25 teams needs to show me), but I think a 3-0 start is realistic.

To be fair, SS did say when he first got here that the roster looked so bad it almost looked intentional, which many of us agreed with.

I tend to agree with KnucleHank - I don’t think he’s a great fit here. More importantly, I think satterfield feels the same way.

After the first season, he just looked so miserable. But, I'm ready to see him succeed. All the pieces are (in theory) in place for a good 8-4 or 9-3 type of season. Anyone who has Malik's numbers should not be losing many games; a young team is back and some help for the defense was brought in through transfers. I'm skeptical, but I want to see a good season, I want to see the 2023 class hold, and if those two things happen we could be at the start of a pretty fun ride.

If anyone watches the replays of the Cards losses last season will realize that two things have to change.

1. Satterfield has got to be a better play caller. I don't disagree with his philosophy but he cost the team two losses himself with Virginia and Clemson and almost a loss to FSU.

He's predictable and he sits on a lead. He needs to change on this.

2. The defense has to stay mostly healthy and be more aggressive with aggressive offenses. Watching games against Virginia and Wake last year, we just let them dictate the momentum, hoping for them to make a mistake.

We need to be the aggressor even if it doesn't always work. But if you got key guys out with injuries, I guess you have to do what you can. If the defense can stay healthy it should be more successful.

If anyone watches the replays of the Cards losses last season will realize that two things have to change.

1. Satterfield has got to be a better play caller. I don't disagree with his philosophy but he cost the team two losses himself with Virginia and Clemson and almost a loss to FSU.

He's predictable and he sits on a lead. He needs to change on this.

2. The defense has to stay mostly healthy and be more aggressive with aggressive offenses. Watching games against Virginia and Wake last year, we just let them dictate the momentum, hoping for them to make a mistake.

We need to be the aggressor even if it doesn't always work. But if you got key guys out with injuries, I guess you have to do what you can. If the defense can stay healthy it should be more successful.
Totally agree. Last year when Monty and then the CB ?Clark went down....there was not equal depth to step up and fill in.

Made a suspect defense even more suspect and vulnerable to good offenses....both to the pass and the run. And some very close winnable games went the other way.

Question to be answered this year...will the 'D' be better and do they have enough depth and experience if the injury bug-a-boo pops up again. Hope so. time will tell.

Totally agree. Last year when Monty and then the CB ?Clark went down....there was not equal depth to step up and fill in.

Made a suspect defense even more suspect and vulnerable to good offenses....both to the pass and the run. And some very close winnable games went the other way.

Question to be answered this year...will the 'D' be better and do they have enough depth and experience if the injury bug-a-boo pops up again. Hope so. time will tell.
I think you're on to something here about depth. IMO, depth is one of the factors that separate us from the elite Playoff caliber teams generally.

Alabama has an injury, they bring in a less-seasoned 5-star. We can't be that anytime soon, but if we sign this upcoming class as-is or better, it means we'll have at least 15 4-star or better players on the roster at once, probably a record.

That's on paper of course, but in some cases that's what depth is... A 4-star beats out another 4-star, but goes down to injury and the 4-star he beat out gets put into action. A drop off but not as bad as what we have right now when a starter goes down at many positions.

Reactions: Mayoman
Injuries to a roster that is already shallow in terms of its depth, explained a lot to me last season.

While I agree that some of SS play calling was suspect, I think his tendency to sit on a lead in the 4th quarter was as much about concern over Malik being less than 100%. Once again, this season must have Malik healthy. The recent report on our backups at QB is concerning; Conley’s hip is clearly not ready and that leaves us without any experience.

I have wonder if Conley should be playing at all.

We hear he’s been hurt for 3 years.

I’m a Conley fan, but if a 19-21 old kid can’t heal up in that length of time maybe he shouldn’t even try to play.

He has a long life to live and playing FB won’t be part of it. Maybe he should look after himself, and let somebody else get his snaps.

I have wonder if Conley should be playing at all.

We hear he’s been hurt for 3 years.

I’m a Conley fan, but if a 19-21 old kid can’t heal up in that length of time maybe he shouldn’t even try to play.

He has a long life to live and playing FB won’t be part of it. Maybe he should look after himself, and let somebody else get his snaps.
Yeah. My guess is that he should NOT be playing. I think he'll enter coaching assistant ranks shortly.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
When Evan first arrived as a freshman, I saw some real potential. What he may have lacked in talent, he displayed an innate ability to compensate by showing mature pocket presence, and vision …… the coaches loved that aspect.

It does appear now that his injury is career ending here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT