ADVERTISEMENT

13 - Men Left On Base

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
UofL left 13 men on base in their win on Saturday over UK!
That is a really, really bad stat. You usually lose games with than many men LOB.

My issue with 5 of those men LOB was Coach's decision to try to execute suicide squeeze plays. In the 6th inning there was 1-out and a runner at 1B and 3B (Stowers). Taylor was at bat and tried twice to lay down a bunt unsuccessfully. Then he proceeded to get hit by a pitch and load the bases. That brought up LH Fitch who proceeded to ground into a 3-1 double play.

The virtual same situation was presented in the 8th inning. Base runners at 1B and 3B and no outs. This time it was Lyman at-bat and he tries unsuccessfully to execute a squeeze play. Then proceeds to strikeout. Next batter is Stowers who takes a check swing to the pitcher. The runner on third breaks for home and gets tagged out, and then UK barely misses a double play at 3B attempting to tag out Hairston. Next batter walks the bases loaded and then Taylor strikes out.

I realize Coach McDonnell attempts this high risk high reward plays during the season and in many cases they work out, but I think he is over thinking things. To have two 1B - 3B situations with less than two outs and score zero runs is unacceptable. UK's pitchers were struggling and UofL was making good contact all game. Why would you just not allow your batters to swing away and get the sac-fly or basehit in those situations?

There are so many things that can go wrong on a squeeze play that generally favor the defense. Also if you foul off two bunts (which happened) your batter is now in a 2-strike count trying to fight off striking out, which percentages show generally favors the pitcher.

The results speak for themselves for Coach McDonnell and his teams, but I am worried that these types of stats (13 men LOB) will come back to bite the Cards in Omaha. If you keep things simple, sometimes it works to your advantage....that's all I am saying. Going with the baseball book isn't always a bad idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT