ADVERTISEMENT

10th assistant coach

BPGhost

6000+
Jun 23, 2015
Petrino’s other son in law. Wish I could say I was surprised. I joked about it being a family member a month ago but, c’mon - this kid (all of two years experience) is the most qualified coach available?

When I first heard the name, you can’t even google his football resume... in any other work environment, this is subject to scrutiny and frowned on. It also has the appearance that the HC has again too much authority IMO.

Just keep in mind, for those pining for Brohm, he hires family members, too. But, Beard is a fine hire. Not a home run, but he does have pedigree. He comes from a football factory. Purples just don't come to Louisville for the most part. He'll be able to tap into that. He's been in the coaching ranks since '12.

Just keep in mind, for those pining for Brohm, he hires family members, too. But, Beard is a fine hire. Not a home run, but he does have pedigree. He comes from a football factory. Purples just don't come to Louisville for the most part. He'll be able to tap into that. He's been in the coaching ranks since '12.
Two separate issues. No matter who our coach is, this would raise an eyebrow.

Reactions: xmlmetal
Two points.

1. This guy isn’t qualified based upon experience to be coaching safeties at a P5 school and there’s no way in hell he gets hired if he’s not the son in law. Two of his four positions have been working for Petrino and the another was at WKU.

2. We don’t need to tap into Kentucky HS football “factories”- we need more recruiters with deep ties to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and South Carolina. Kentucky football simply doesn’t measure up unfortunately.

Two points.

1. This guy isn’t qualified based upon experience to be coaching safeties at a P5 school and there’s no way in hell he gets hired if he’s not the son in law. Two of his four positions have been working for Petrino and the another was at WKU.

2. We don’t need to tap into Kentucky HS football “factories”- we need more recruiters with deep ties to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and South Carolina. Kentucky football simply doesn’t measure up unfortunately.

All very good points. I'd counterpoint with there are a lot of coaches who don't want to work for Petrino, so hire someone you can trust, and is a potential up and comer. It's the 10th coaching position we are talking about here. Also, we are well represented recruiting the southern states.

The nepotism is concerning. Also, you’d like to think that Peter Sirmon would have the ability to hire a defensive staff of his choosing. Perhaps he really likes Beard but obviously it looks it was forced by CBP.

I'd counterpoint with there are a lot of coaches who don't want to work for Petrino,
I've heard this several times, and if so it is a problem.

But Saban isn't warm and fuzzy either.

If Bobby wants to keep this gig he better have a staff..........never mind.

If we de-emphasize, as long as he can win 7-8 games a year and a bowl, they can all make a good living.

He's got it made.

Yeah, I don’t buy the argument that no one wants to coach with him. I think we had to overpay for a defensive coordinator because of CBP reputation but everyone has a price. I firmly believe that there are tons of more seasoned coaches at lower levels of football that would’ve loved joining the staff. Look where Patriots d coordinator Matt Patricia started coaching.

All very good points. I'd counterpoint with there are a lot of coaches who don't want to work for Petrino, so hire someone you can trust, and is a potential up and comer. It's the 10th coaching position we are talking about here. Also, we are well represented recruiting the southern states.
I agree about the fact that Petrino’s rep hurts him with potential coaches - not only from being difficult to work for but more importantly, that he’s a job hopper. And as far as I’m concerned, you can NEVER be over represented in those areas.

The nepotism is concerning. Also, you’d like to think that Peter Sirmon would have the ability to hire a defensive staff of his choosing. Perhaps he really likes Beard but obviously it looks it was forced by CBP.
I think Sirmon is on thin ice and isn’t in a position to determine who he gets - particularly if the choice is between a Petrino family member and someone else. And as we all know, the son in law will survive even if sirmon gets the sack.

Sure hope this guy recruits better than Nick who hasn't brought us one recruit that I can remember. Looks like Cort, Klenakis, Summers and Lonnie are the only ones getting it done there.

I think Sirmon is on thin ice and isn’t in a position to determine who he gets - particularly if the choice is between a Petrino family member and someone else. And as we all know, the son in law will survive even if sirmon gets the sack.

So if Sirmon gets canned, would the new DC get to pick his coaches (such as his d line coach and safeties coach)?

So if Sirmon gets canned, would the new DC get to pick his coaches (such as his d line coach and safeties coach)?
No brainer.

New coach would start with anyone related to Petrino and get to pick his coaches from spots left. Of course all that would be clear before anyone new took the job. I mean seriously does anyone think that Nick Petrino has earned his money? He’s learning at the same time Petrino is teaching LJ, Pass, etc. Not trying to be a dick but it’s a joke that he’s the QB coach.

No brainer.

New coach would start with anyone related to Petrino and get to pick his coaches from spots left. Of course all that would be clear before anyone new took the job. I mean seriously does anyone think that Nick Petrino has earned his money? He’s learning at the same time Petrino is teaching LJ, Pass, etc. Not trying to be a dick but it’s a joke that he’s the QB coach.
Well, there you go. Simon has been set up to fail.

What DC worth a chit is going to come in here and risk his rep on BOBBY PETRINO picking his DEFENSIVE coaches/staff?

And until Bobby decides to let the D coach run the D, and live tackle in practice, we're not going to be a serious threat to win the ACC.

I think we saw what happens to a highly qualified DC who ran the defense his own way! He now coaches at Florida

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT