ADVERTISEMENT

“Vince’s” head coach...

Happy to see him coming back. Obviously he (among others) couldn't get along with the previous coach, yet wanted to be at UofL. This hire along with Stephen Field will help recruiting a great deal.

The culture has officially changed for UofL football and I am loving it!!

Go CARDS!!!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Every time I think cbp couldn't suck worse, he does. Went from one of top 2 coaches in UL history to the worst! You suck bobby

I can't wait to see the improvement in Pass and Cunningham under new coaching. Is there room on the same roster for TWO Heisman Trophy candidates?...

THAT will tell a story (Pass.Cunningham)

If they improve a lot of people will be right. If they don't? A lot of others will be right, but unknown as to why. o_O

I'd have to say they were overrated to begin with. (FWIW- If Pass stays I believe he will see it as a "second chance" and take advantage of it)

Bobby had NEVER had a bad QB before. And I, like Zipp, was never worried about skill positions with Bobby. And then this year happened. :confused:

It just adds to the mystery of "what happened?"

I have to hope they improve. Or that Conley is the next Lefors. And doesn't get hurt. ;)

I can't wait to see the improvement in Pass and Cunningham under new coaching. Is there room on the same roster for TWO Heisman Trophy candidates?...
If Pass and Cunningham don’t improve, it’s on them. Actually, I think Malik has significant upside. Puma has arm talent, but needs to be a leader. The new scheme might suit these guys better (or worse) also. There is more to it than the quality of coaching.

If Pass and Cunningham don’t improve, it’s on them. Actually, I think Malik has significant upside. Puma has arm talent, but needs to be a leader. The new scheme might suit these guys better (or worse) also. There is more to it than the quality of coaching.
So I've got this straight... Prevailing opinion last year was that Pass and Cuningham's play was mostly the coaches' fault. This coming year, it will be the players' fault if they don't perform.

And presumably, it will be due to coaching if they do perform.

That's the kinda rational thinking that keeps me coming back here. Always fun to be reminded...

So I've got this straight... Prevailing opinion last year was that Pass and Cuningham's play was mostly the coaches' fault. This coming year, it will be the players' fault if they don't perform.

And presumably, it will be due to coaching if they do perform.

That's the kinda rational thinking that keeps me coming back here. Always fun to be reminded...
I don’t know what the “prevailing opinion” was, but mine is that improvement is the player’s responsibility. The coaches provide guidance and structure and motivation. I believe the prevailing opinion may have been that among Bobby’s relative/coaches few or none could get a P5 job outside of Louisville based on resume alone. None of us were at practice. To the extent Nick failed to provide what a coach provides, the QB development may have suffered. But if Malik and Puma we’re dogging it, then no coach could have helped them. This year will be very interesting at the QB position.

Last edited:
I simply can't wait to see how much better our roster QBs play under new coaching...

I simply can't wait to see how much better our roster QBs play under new coaching...
Hmmmm...do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Seriously, I am excited to see how this group responds to 2-10. That’s the real test for me. Are they embarrassed and pi$$ed off enough to prepare and buy in? Or do they wallow in self pity and pot-parties? We will see.

Hmmmm...do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Seriously, I am excited to see how this group responds to 2-10. That’s the real test for me. Are they embarrassed and pi$$ed off enough to prepare and buy in? Or do they wallow in self pity and pot-parties? We will see.
And not a single element of coaching in there. I wasn't expecting it either...

And not a single element of coaching in there. I wasn't expecting it either...
As I’ve tried (apparently in vain) to make clear is player improvement is a function of player buy-in (there’s your coaching element) AND effort. After all, the players must buy in to something. Next year will be interesting to see if that has happened. I think the biggest failure we had last year was one of leadership; on the coaching staff and among the players. The effort required by the players is not just physical exertion but a re-establishment of discipline and accountability. That will be the challenge for this staff. It will take effort for both staff and players to make that happen. I have never blamed Puma’s shortcomings on coaching alone.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
As I’ve tried (apparently in vain) to make clear is player improvement is a function of player buy-in (there’s your coaching element) AND effort. After all, the players must buy in to something. Next year will be interesting to see if that has happened. I think the biggest failure we had last year was one of leadership; on the coaching staff and among the players. The effort required by the players is not just physical exertion but a re-establishment of discipline and accountability. That will be the challenge for this staff. It will take effort for both staff and players to make that happen. I have never blamed Puma’s shortcomings on coaching alone.
Hmmm... I don't ever recall you going to bat for Nick Petrino, as one example of a guy who was run over, backed over, and run over again in this space last year. Must have missed it...

One indicator how good Nick Petrino was as a coach will were he ends up. He has a Heisman QB on his resume surely he will land somewhere, but I doubt he will.

The most glaring issue I see is Nick/Bobby had basically 3 years with Pass and 2 years with Cunningham to develop. Their performance showed us they weren't really developed or weren't good enough. The offensive production proves they weren't ready. Bottom line that is on both the players and the coach. The QB they really liked didn't think highly of Nick, which came from the player resulting in a transfer. From a staff perspective they either misevaluated, didn't develop either QB or both. Bottom line it is on the coach to get the most out of players they failed with these two. With that said Nick has a very small sample size to truly evaluate him as a quarterback coach especially with how much his dad was involved with QB's. Was it Nick or his Dad? CBP has a long history of developing QB this group isn't indicative of his ability. Did he let Nick train and develop these 2?

Now if the new staff comes in and can't develop either then it is safe to say the players were misevaluated as a QB. They were were misevaluated by a bunch of people not just the last staff. Yeah it will be interesting to see how they will do if either perform at a higher level then obviously the coaching change impacted their play. If they don't then that is more a reflection on the players ability to play the position. It would be a great example of how recruiting rankings can be misleading (2-4 Stars).

Hmmm... I don't ever recall you going to bat for Nick Petrino, as one example of a guy who was run over, backed over, and run over again in this space last year. Must have missed it...
No I didn’t go to bat for Nick. Since I wasn’t in practice there is no way for me to tell just what he did and what Bobby did. That has nothing to do with my point. Both player and coach must work together. I think we can agree that whatever was happening last year was not working. I saw no evidence of improvement during the year, which leads me to believe the Bobby and staff also didn’t know what to do or didn’t care. We needed a clean slate. This is the players chance to show what they can do.

I enjoy all of the analytical double talk after the fact, player vs coach. I'm gonna really look forward to the dialogue if neither roster QB performs well next year...

I don’t know if the new staff can do anything with our current QB’s progress, but I’m sure if they do you’ll spin it to show that Nick’s coaching had something to do with it.

I’ll tell you what I can’t wait for though, and that’s seeing our defense not give up 50+ points in a game, only happened 7 times last year. I’ll tell ya, Bobby was just hitting those DC hires out of the park since he ran Grantham out of town.

I don’t know if the new staff can do anything with our current QB’s progress, but I’m sure if they do you’ll spin it to show that Nick’s coaching had something to do with it...
I'll go ahead and give you a preview of what you're gonna hear... If the roster QBs do well, I'll give props to the new coaches. And if those QBs don't, I'm not giving the new coaches a pass anymore than the prior coaches got a pass in this space.

That's called consistent treatment...

I'll go ahead and give you a preview of what you're gonna hear... If the roster QBs do well, I'll give props to the new coaches. And if those QBs don't, I'm not giving the new coaches a pass anymore than the prior coaches got a pass in this space.

You’re so wise. You’re like the Tootsie Roll Pop Owl.

Zipp: "You guys are just cheerleaders for Tyra."

Also Zipp: *Has Tom Jurich as his profile picture and fails to give Vince an ounce of credit and has done nothing but complain for over a year now.*

I enjoy all of the analytical double talk after the fact, player vs coach. I'm gonna really look forward to the dialogue if neither roster QB performs well next year...

If they don't improve then it was pretty much the players and vindicates the previous coaching.

If they improve then it could be a variety of things:
Better coaching
OR
Different coaching technique they respond to
OR
Just more experience

Doesn't necessarily mean the previous staff was inadequate. I think that is the case but thats just my opinion, nothing I could take to a bank.

Reactions: zipp and Cue Card

Are the players robots that can be programmed? It’s not just on the coaches. The players have to do the work and take coaching. That said, would you have preferred that the previous staff be retained? I and others criticized Puma for his apparent lethargy and leadership issues. I and others criticized Malik for inaccurate passing. But the coaching staff clearly failed in terms of leadership, game prep, and growth. They were let go because if the product on the field.

Zipp: "You guys are just cheerleaders for Tyra."

Also Zipp: *Has Tom Jurich as his profile picture and fails to give Vince an ounce of credit and has done nothing but complain for over a year now.*
You don't have to click on my posts. As far as one "ounce", I gave "Vince" credit--and still do--for retaining Dan McDonnell. I just don't deal in fake accomplishments...

I just don't deal in fake accomplishments...
It’s true there is a difference between an action and an accomplishment. Actions sometimes become accomplishments over time- when outcomes are known. There is a lot we don’t know yet with Vince NQ. I wouldn’t classify anything as “fake” at this point. Just as TBD. I am still holding on the the idea that Vince NQ won’t be here long term. I don’t see any more coaches or staffers leaving any time soon, so there may be some stability in place. He and Neeli may reach a deal (or maybe already have one) for his graceful departure and the hiring of a full-time, experienced AD. We will see.

I'm gonna predict that the golf programs won't exist in three years...

College athletics are changing and the flood of money that has been rolling in could start declining. You watch any basketball game the stands are hardly ever full and frankly sparse. This isn't just a Louisville problem, however it is a bigger problem for Louisville. The ticket market is going to come back. I think all AD's have a really tough job in today's Information Age. You better manage your shop.

I think if Louisville wasn't in the ACC there could be some sports in jeopardy.

It willing interesting to watch Vince navigate the new world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT