ADVERTISEMENT

“Air Jackson” T-Shirt

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
If anyone is interested, I have this T-shirt design at the Big Frog in Clarksville, IN (Veterans Pkwy., phone 812-283-3771). You can order in the color and design of your choice. Change the size of the image, the font type/size, add something to the back, etc. I have one in the design shown, and it looks and wears well. Fades a little after the first wash but not much thereafter. Maybe some minor shrinkage. Sizes look to be pretty accurate.

This is an unlicensed item and should only be made for yourself or someone you know. U of L, Lamar, Nike…no one receives anything from its production, nor should you.

I post this because I’m not sure how much “Lamar” sportswear you’re gonna see considering that everyone is limited from using his likeness for profit. If you like this idea/product or don’t like it, that’s your business. I wear my shirt simply to promote Lamar and because I like him…

(click to enlarge)
Air%20Jackson%20T-shirt_zpsfkjraejg.jpg

do any of the procedes benifit lamar jackson in any way? that is his likeness being sold for profit.
Not if he wants to keep his eligibility.

The only "profit" being made here is the T-shirt company. And there is no mark-up from what they ordinarily charge for any other T-shirt they make. (You could reason as much from the price they're charging...)

I'm no lawyer, but the T-shirt company is the only entity here with any risk since they're the only entity profiting in any way. They ask questions when you take them something to print like this, and they understand I composed the shirt and didn't copy it from another shirt. That appeared to be their only concern...

Not if he wants to keep his eligibility.

The only "profit" being made here is the T-shirt company. And there is no mark-up from what they ordinarily charge for any other T-shirt they make. (You could reason as much from the price they're charging...)

I'm no lawyer, but the T-shirt company is the only entity here with any risk since they're the only entity profiting in any way. They ask questions when you take them something to print like this, and they understand I composed the shirt and didn't copy it from another shirt. That appeared to be their only concern...
i thought it was against ncaa rules to profit off of a kid anymore?

i thought it was against ncaa rules to profit off of a kid anymore?
The kid certainly can't participate in any way. That's why they've stopped signing autographs which can't be obtained without their participation.

If I write "Lamar Jackson" on a piece of paper and sell it for 25 cents, Lamar is still safe in my totally unprofessional opinion...

The kid certainly can't participate in any way. That's why they've stopped signing autographs which can't be obtained without their participation.

If I write "Lamar Jackson" on a piece of paper and sell it for 25 cents, Lamar is still safe in my totally unprofessional opinion...
do they donate any of the money to charity, or just milk the kids name for profit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
I'm not badmouthing Zipp. Just trying to figure out how he's selling T shirts, but not making any money. Doesn't make sense the way it's presented.

I'm not badmouthing Zipp. Just trying to figure out how he's selling T shirts, but not making any money. Doesn't make sense the way it's presented.

I read it totally another way - zipp is making money off these and is being totally transparent about it.

from zipps post:

If anyone is interested, I have this T-shirt design at the Big Frog in Clarksville, IN (Veterans Pkwy., phone 812-283-3771). You can order in the color and design of your choice. Change the size of the image, the font type/size, add something to the back, etc. I have one in the design shown, and it looks and wears well. Fades a little after the first wash but not much thereafter. Maybe some minor shrinkage. Sizes look to be pretty accurate.

This is an unlicensed item and should only be made for yourself or someone you know. U of L, Lamar, Nike…no one receives anything from its production, nor should you.

I post this because I’m not sure how much “Lamar” sportswear you’re gonna see considering that everyone is limited from using his likeness for profit. If you like this idea/product or don’t like it, that’s your business. I wear my shirt simply to promote Lamar and because I like him…

(click to enlarge)

Any concerns with image rights?

Reactions: beasleythecard
In my opinion nothing good could come from this. LJ has a right to privacy and someone is using his image for profit, even though it's not LJs profit or would seem so. In any case, it may open an investigation into it which is altogether a distraction that LJ and U of L does not need. Maybe our friend Cardlaw could provide some insight?

Any concerns with image rights?
Well, the T-shirt company didn't have any evidently... :D

Of course, it's a silhouette and not the actual photo. And it's probably only been reproduced a million times since the Cuse game. Who owns it? A photographer and which one? ESPN? U of L? Good luck trying to sort that out so that an $18 T-shirt is properly accounted for.

But all good points. And all in support of my advice to just make one for yourself without any profit motive...

Amazing how effed up stuff can get...

The T-shirt is simply offered above if you want one. No one but the little retailer printing them makes a dime, including me. You're not making me any money or doing me any favors buying one. I couldn't care less whether you buy one or not except that I like mine.

I knew people would get all wrapped up in the Lamar-NCAA-illegal-zipp-(fill in the blank) garbage which is why I tried to address it in the OP and end it there. But no, we have creative minds in this space who will think of all sorts of gaps I didn't address. Thanks for maintaining this mental image I have of my fellow posters.

I'm sure a good lawyer will take the case here based on the few dollars of profit made so far. If you want to put that lawyer in touch with me, I'm easy to find...

o_O

lawyers for lamar and the university should put a stop to them profiting off of lamar asap. That is garbage

Actually according to CLC the licensing authority on college apparel...any merchandise that refers to a player OR a player's likeness is illegal. I know that CLC has stepped in numerous times with warning letters, etc. I'm sure this will happen VERY soon in this case too......

Not to mention any black market merchandise or non CLC licensed merchandise is actually taking away from UL itself. I know its a free market and I know at the end of the day these companies sell these shirts knowing they'll get a warning letter...but any official CLC licensed merchandise...a portion of each sale goes to the college. So if you want to support UL then buy legal merchandise.

I think you'll see an officially licensed Hesiman type product VERY soon...

Reactions: nccardfan
I am sure good ole zippy will tell the ncaa and the lawyers that he knows the law better than they do and continue to bootleg tshirts for personal gain.
My advice is to stick to the O-line and Klenakis. As little as you know about that, it's more than you know about most other subjects...

(click to enlarge)
according to the NCAA, Lamar Jackson and his family can sue you zipp the gypsy for using his image.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/09/ncaa-athletes-profit/#EEj.jdH4sGqd

you are nothing more than a thief.

Actually according to CLC the licensing authority on college apparel...any merchandise that refers to a player OR a player's likeness is illegal. I know that CLC has stepped in numerous times with warning letters, etc. I'm sure this will happen VERY soon in this case too...
LOL! This "case" so far is the minus-$20 profit I made--to buy the shirt--and probably the breakeven that the retailer achieved to make (drumroll please!) ONE T-shirt. They had two employees talk to me about designing the first shirt.

Some of you guys take yourselves and your knowledge just a tad too seriously. (The lawyers I deal with will probably tell you that too...)

Last edited:
LOL! This "case" so far is the minus-$20 profit I made--to buy the shirt--and probably the breakeven that the retailer achieved to make (drumroll please!) ONE T-shirt. They had two employees talk to me about designing the first shirt.

Some of you guys take yourselves and your knowledge just a tad too seriously. (The lawyers I deal with will probably tell you that too...)
how much of that is going to Lamar or his family?
if the answer is none, the person making them is a thief.
make some NFL and NBA stuff while you are bootlegging.

if you are not the one selling the shirts, why did you consult your lawyers like you said above?

and if you did consult lawyers as you said and you are so intelligent, why did you not reach out to UofL to reach Lamar Jacksons family and compensate them for using his image for your business venture?

Where the hell did zipp say "it was HIS business venture"? He only brought this product to OUR attention and gave a number where you can call to get one if you just happen to want one. I don't know zipp's relationship with the owner (friend, etc.) but I don't think zipp would ever do anything to damage UofL or Lamar Jackson. As memory serves I did see an article about the photographer that questioned others using the photo without permission. Will this business owner get a letter from UofL requesting him/her to cease and desist? Probably. But how about the image of LJ (or any other Heisman candidate) doing the "Heisman" pose. Could the image on this T-shirt come from any other photo other than the one at SU? Some of you guys are making a huge mountain out of a very small molehill.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TDredbird
I'm with Zipp on this one. I thought he was selling the shirts. In going back, I can now see that he's saying we can buy a shirt with the design that he created.

I think you're good so far in that all you've used is a silhouette and the words "Air Jackson" (not copyrighted yet). However, I think if you list the individual awards on the back, that's probably where the line is. Heisman, Walter Camp, etc are all copyrighted names.

Well, the T-shirt company didn't have any evidently... :D

Of course, it's a silhouette and not the actual photo. And it's probably only been reproduced a million times since the Cuse game. Who owns it? A photographer and which one? ESPN? U of L? Good luck trying to sort that out so that an $18 T-shirt is properly accounted for.

But all good points. And all in support of my advice to just make one for yourself without any profit motive...

Yeah, I'm not trying to prosecute you. :D That image isn't listed on Getty as for sale. So I'm guessing it was lifted from the actual game coverage which would make it...ACC's?

I don't see it being used commercially here. But you still might get a letter as mentioned above. They guard licensing pretty tough.

I'm with Zipp on this one. I thought he was selling the shirts. In going back, I can now see that he's saying we can buy a shirt with the design that he created.

I think you're good so far in that all you've used is a silhouette and the words "Air Jackson" (not copyrighted yet). However, I think if you list the individual awards on the back, that's probably where the line is. Heisman, Walter Camp, etc are all copyrighted names.

I'm going the other direction again :), I can't change the hue of a picture and call it mine. (though I'm no lawyer, I have purchased stock photography)

Where the hell did zipp say "it was HIS business venture"? He only brought this product to OUR attention and gave a number where you can call to get one if you just happen to want one. I don't know zipp's relationship with the owner (friend, etc.) but I don't think zipp would ever do anything to damage UofL or Lamar Jackson. As memory serves I did see an article about the photographer that questioned others using the photo without permission. Will this business owner get a letter from UofL requesting him/her to cease and desist? Probably. But how about the image of LJ (or any other Heisman candidate) doing the "Heisman" pose. Could the image on this T-shirt come from any other photo other than the one at SU? Some of you guys are making a huge mountain out of a very small molehill.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Was it this particular photo? Or just a general article about photos being used? My neighbor goes to sports games and hopes to sell his pictures to Getty. You can then buy the pictures for commercial ventures. It's usually for limited production runs but I'm sure there's other options like exclusive etc.

I think if you take the photo of LJ doing a Heisman pose you're good so long as you don't mention Heisman.

Last edited:
I question the motive of the OP. Don't know him personally but he has consistently done one thing on this board, promote himself. His design.. a silhouette of LJ and using the Nike theme of "Air Jordan" He mentions lawsuits as if they are everyday occurrences. I have been a professional for nearly 35 years and have never been involved in a lawsuit personally or professionally. It's out of the goodness of his heart? or the opportunity to promote himself again. Track records speak for themselves.

if you are not the one selling the shirts, why did you consult your lawyers like you said above?

and if you did consult lawyers as you said and you are so intelligent, why did you not reach out to UofL to reach Lamar Jacksons family and compensate them for using his image for your business venture?

The media gets to use pictures of these athletes all the time in their commercial venture. If this is your soap box, I'd start there. They have deep pockets. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT