ADVERTISEMENT

Williams and Mack owe the team and the fans an apology

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Pretty good indication of complete lack of control by both. One more criticism for Mack …… at what point does it become evident to this staff that Williams was a horrible matchup on Hugley. Curry at 260 lbs was most effective, and he and Wheeler were a lot more effective than Malik.

Reactions: uoflcardsfan
well, at least the team is learning to deal with a constant stream of wtf? type of adversity and a win is a win is a win. unless you're betting of course then a won could be a loss and vice versa lol

well, at least the team is learning to deal with a constant stream of wtf? type of adversity and a win is a win is a win. unless you're betting of course then a won could be a loss and vice versa lol
We were at the game and caught by surprise both times. So stupid. Lose to Pitt and you are mostly out of the tournament. They almost lost because of that.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Pretty good indication of complete lack of control by both. One more criticism for Mack …… at what point does it become evident to this staff that Williams was a horrible matchup on Hugley. Curry at 260 lbs was most effective, and he and Wheeler were a lot more effective than Malik.
Classic case of Dumb and Dumber! Makes me wonder if Mack has any self control. Williams has always lacked maturity and it almost bit us tonight. Just glad we somehow pulled it out in spite of those two goofs at the end.

I was surprised by both, I disagree with you regarding Malik’s maturity. He is the team captain and has always kept the team together. I would like to know what was said and why because both incidents could have cost us a sure win. I would think the team captain and definitely the head coach would have not put our team in this situation. We’re the T’s warranted or was it bad referring? We have seen bad refs all year in both the men’s and women’s games.

Mack may just be mentally fried. He took on a difficult task a very unique situation. Probably assumed all the problems would be behind him by now but of course they aren't. Doesn't know who his boss will be in 6 months and/or if he will be the HC here.
Maybe feeling the hot seat dunno. Job feels too big for him right now?

Reactions: glassmanJ
Not to defend Mack or Williams, as their outburst given the circumstances is totally indefensible. Yet, the 6 TOs and the FT shooting exhibition is on the officials, who took over the contest early and never relinquished it. The ACC is gutless, and I do not expect any response, but if they fail to address it, we can expect more of the same.

You have to assume that Malik and Mack were both frustrated. Mack admitted it. Malik had 4 pts and 4 rebounds, obviously his worst performance in several games but the team won!!

I’m going to catch crap for this but I do miss Pitino up and down the sidelines coaching both ends of the court. If you’re at the game, Mack often times throws his hands up in frustration, turns his back and heads back to the bench. He’s not fully engaged in the game IMHO.

Reactions: Guardman
The ACC is PO’d with us because we are not today what we were when invited. (But neither is Miami, FSU, or Cuse).

They are going to make us the whipping post until we play through it. We can’t get in close games with inferior teams (we were -13 or so) and expect any “breaks” IMO

Reactions: WKCard
I cannot imagine how “the ACC” can influence the officials who call all of these contests, one way or another. Just examining this last game at home against Pitt ……. the questionable calls that set the tone were far more damaging to Pitt than to UL.

UL fans need to remind themselves that when referencing “the ACC”, it is still composed of people, and not some isolated group of supreme masters who are intentionally manipulating these events. In truth, bad officials are individually responsible for their performance and collectively they are pretty consistently bad at all venues. If there was any truth to the ACC influencing the outcome of individual games, it would require manipulating the individual referees; which would immediately draw the attention of the FBI. Fixing a sporting event would result in prison for any who were foolish enough to even suggest participation.

Further, UL cannot be the school wearing the “disappointment horns“ since our entrance into the ACC. We are missing the early expectations some members may have had, but we would be in line behind several others in each of the major conference sports. Talk about failing to measure up, look at FSU and Miami fall from the elite in football, or Syracuse, Pitt and WF in Men’s basketball?

Despite our issues since 2013, at least we have some rather compelling explanations that can account for our decline in the national picture on basketball, but what can the other members provide as justification for their declining performance? Even before Jamie Dixon left Pitt, they faltered in NCAA tournament play just like everyone else in the ACC, except for Duke, UNC and UVA.

I see no problem with his reply.. no comment...i have nothing to say. You can add all the conjecture you want.. he said nothing. What would you say? Think before you type... Malik.. it's 23... and he doesn't owe any of you ish. HE REPRESENTS YOUR CITY... NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE. Got his degree. I just see alot of hearsay in this post.

ACC officials are bad across the board. They are terrible in every game, not just our games. Also, I’d answer every one of Timmy Sullivan’s questions with “No comment”…

Ace: there is a lot of truth in your response to my earlier post. However, my comments about Malik “apologizing” was confined to receiving a technical while sitting on the bench; obviously is was not related to his “no comment” response to Sullivan, as that event occurred well after my post.

The officiating was indeed horrible, but the players and the coaches are responsible for demonstrating discipline in the face of adversity, and both failed to control their behavior sitting on the bench. Interestingly Mack’s technical was a result of his reaction to the one official, but Williams received his technical for directed his comment towards a player; specifically Hugley, who humiliated Malik while on the court after exposing Malik‘s inability to defend a shorter, but stronger athlete in the paint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT