ADVERTISEMENT

Who Has A Breakout Season Next Year?

Of the new guys I think Donavon Mitchell has the potential to emerge as a one and done.

Of the returners I say Jaylen Johnson.

Originally posted by shadow force:
Which UofL player do you think will have a breakout season next year?
I think the question was of the returning players. I'm going out on a line here and say Jaylen Johnson.
rolleye0012.r191677.gif

Of the returning Players I believe that Mangok Mathiang will have a break out season next season.

I'm going Q because he's got the shot and demeanor to be a consistent scorer game in and out; plus he's got ice in his veins on the line. Throw in Trey and DM in the backcourt creating open shots also, our back court will be big in scoring! Can't wait for the presses and traps also! Press Pitino will be back.

I'm gonna go with Mahmoud since the 5 position seems to be the biggest ? once again. I'm expecting one of them to make a strong case

Out of the new kids coming in ( not counting transfers) I'll agree with Mitchell

Given the big hole Trez is leaving and the true lack of production from the 5 spot one can easily conclude it will be someone playing the 4 or 5. I think Snider will improve but with Lewis and Mitchell coming in he will not be asked to do more than what he was doing last year...facilitate and run the team. Bringing us back again to the 4 & 5! I think JJ is a good choice and really is a toss up between he and AM. I think JJ will get the first crack at the starting 4 spot but I think AM is more versatile being able to play both the 4 & 5 if needed. So my choice is AM.

I'm going out on a limb and saying Mathiang.

I don't think Mitchell qualifies as a 'breakout' since he is a newcomer.

I think with Harrell and Blackshear gone, the opportunity now exists for one of the centers to emerge. I think one reason they didn't try to score more (talking about all the Cs now), is that they didn't want to take shots away from the stars and hurt the team. I think Mathiang in the tournament really came on defensively. Without him, we would not have beaten UC Irvine.

I don't think he's going to be a leading scorer but it would not surprise me if he averages 8 pts / 8 rebounds next year. We will need that from him and maybe 4/6 from Onuaku. I think Mahmoud will play the 4 and cycle over to C when there is foul trouble.

From what I witnessed last year it could be a few different guys. Q, Johnson or Mahmoud. I'm going with Johnson though. I don't think he got enough time to really show what he could do. The other guys did. Johnson only got 3-4 minutes in a few games and from what I seen, he looked good. Confident, athletic and seemed to always be in the right spot. Caused a few turnovers in key situations in a game or 2 and played decent defense.

It wouldn't suprise me with whatever player had a breakout season though.

I'm thinking Snider or Johnson. Snider because we got to see what he could be capable of in the latter part of the season and Johnson because the PF position is wide open right now.

ADVERTISEMENT