ADVERTISEMENT

What the Jo Adell experience tells us about this UL baseball team

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
As most know, Jo Adell graduated from Ballard HS with plans to attend UL on a baseball scholarship, before being drafted in the first round by the Angels. One of my good friends is a MLB scout; he told me that he thought coming out of HS, that Adell might be the most talented baseball player to come out of KY in his life time ....... he was then, and he remains as a very special baseball player.

When UL fans question how so many of these current UL players have struggled at the plate; just follow Adell‘s young Triple “A” career for evidence of just how difficult it is to obtain consistency making contact. I watched Trey Leonard go from close to .400 average earlier this year, only to find himself unable to make contact with the ball and drop his average below .300. Just watch his head and eyes when swinging lately ........they remain fixed on the pitcher and beyond; not following the ball. Jo Adell is hitting HRs at an impressive clip, but his strike out average exceeds his hitting average. The Angels love Jo, and have super high expectation for him, but he remains in Triple A as they continue to work on his fundamentals at the plate. His fielding is MLB level extraordinaire.

UL’s hitting coach needs to spend a lot more time working with these kids on their fundamentals, particularly with keeping their head and eyes on the ball after it leaves the pitcher’s hand. So many are fixing their eyes on the fence.

Great post 233. Most UofL fans have forgotten the Jo Adell story. Adell did the right thing bypassing college but he was definitely headed to UofL otherwise. He would have been the difference maker at the collegiate level. I wish him and his family well.

GO CARDS!!!

Losing, or not losing, players to the draft can have significant impact on a program. Se only lost two incoming recruits last year; but, had they opted to come in my guess is their contributions could have been impactful. You always hope one or two of your top guys stick with you as it can make a big difference.

As most know, Jo Adell graduated from Ballard HS with plans to attend UL on a baseball scholarship, before being drafted in the first round by the Angels. One of my good friends is a MLB scout; he told me that he thought coming out of HS, that Adell might be the most talented baseball player to come out of KY in his life time ....... he was then, and he remains as a very special baseball player.

When UL fans question how so many of these current UL players have struggled at the plate; just follow Adell‘s young Triple “A” career for evidence of just how difficult it is to obtain consistency making contact. I watched Trey Leonard go from close to .400 average earlier this year, only to find himself unable to make contact with the ball and drop his average below .300. Just watch his head and eyes when swinging lately ........they remain fixed on the pitcher and beyond; not following the ball. Jo Adell is hitting HRs at an impressive clip, but his strike out average exceeds his hitting average. The Angels love Jo, and have super high expectation for him, but he remains in Triple A as they continue to work on his fundamentals at the plate. His fielding is MLB level extraordinaire.

UL’s hitting coach needs to spend a lot more time working with these kids on their fundamentals, particularly with keeping their head and eyes on the ball after it leaves the pitcher’s hand. So many are fixing their eyes on the fence.
Seems like it's pretty basic knowledge that to hit any ball with a stick, you have to see the ball. It doesn't make any sense why the Louisville hitters wouldn't be looking at the ball. Why look at the fence or the pitcher?

This is something you learn in little league and then to high school. I just can't believe the hitting struggles the Cards were going through were due to not looking at the baseball. I think it's more of guessing the wrong pitch and lacking confidence due to their struggles. I see a lot of swinging at pitchers pitches and swinging for the fences. That's why I'm concerned about the game after the 7 home runs the Cards hit against Clemson.

We're just not a displined hitting team. We're over eager and let the pitcher off the hook because we're always trying to hit the home run. I think changing up the lineup has helped a little.

Reactions: Bardman
Actually RealVille; you do not need to take my word for it, you can see it for yourself. If you watch for example Trey Leonard over the last several weeks in his slump, you will see in slow motion replay that his head is looking up and away on his swings. For further evidence, just look at how Trey and some of the others kids are watching the pitches when they do not swing; their eyes are not following the ball as it crosses the plate and into the catcher’s mitt. As you stated, that is fundamentally baseball instruction that is taught at the Little League level, and is emphasized by batting coaches throughout MLB.

Slow motion replay is one of the most effective ways for a coach to illustrate to these kids as to why they are struggling making contact at the plate ...... it’s difficult to hit what one cannot see.

Reactions: gocds and Bardman
There has been a significant shift toward power analytics in professional baseball. That has trickled down to college. Their swings are designed for power and not really moving the ball. That has led to more strikeouts.

There are many things involved with hitting a baseball. The main being mental. There are days/weeks/months/years were hitters are just locked in. It can literally flip at any point. Hitters have to guess they can get in a roll guessing right and pitchers missing their mark. Then the next day they guess wrong or the pitchers is just better. Then their is data that clearly tells you how to pitch to a player or team. If pitchers execute the plan then hitters have no shot. I couldn’t hit an inside fastball but anything over the plate or outside were my sweet spots teams figured that out. I saw a bunch of inside fastball. When executed I had no shot.

Hitting a baseball is still the hardest thing to do consistently in sports.

Reactions: luv2hit63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT