ADVERTISEMENT

v FSU (THU - SAT)

Well, my answers to some of these is that King has been one of the better hitters all season. Whoever would hit for him hasn't had any of that success.

McCoy is a HR threat. That's all he can really do and taking out that 2 or 3 run homer possibility for a guy like Cook who hasn't played a lot is something McDonnell can't afford to do.

So your best producing hitters have to play even if they're in slumps.

This team just lacks pitching and defense and that's always going to be exposed. The team just isn't very good and they lost their confidence making them even worse.

Reactions: Deeva
Now I don't have any inside info, just a gut feeling. I think McDonnell may leave for Alabama or somewhere else. It may just be time for a move with the way things have been going on lately around here.

McDonnell I would think never anticipated coaching at one place his entire career, but with the massive success he's had here, he never really considered moving on. But human nature as it is, when things are not so good, a new job often is the perceived remedy.

I would prefer he stay and get the program back on track, but I have to admit I have no idea if a replacement would be at his level of success. Would a new coach have a totally different philosophy? Is there a big name willing to come here? I just don't know college baseball enough.

I do believe that McDonnell wouldn't want to leave the program hanging so who would replace him would be important to him.

Like I said, it's just a feeling I have and with so much bad shit going on at UofL, maybe it's just cynical thinking on my part? I think we will know soon if there's any possibility.
Remarks to press after Saturday's game. Really does not sound like a guy that's ready to move on.

Well, they rarely do. I hope he stays but if he does, he better improve the roster next season. There's a bad taste in the mouths of baseball fans on this season, and they expect drastic improvement.

Well, they rarely do. I hope he stays but if he does, he better improve the roster next season. There's a bad taste in the mouths of baseball fans on this season, and they expect drastic improvement.
I think that's just a bit over the top. Yea, the last 2 or so seasons have not been what we have come to expect but you seem to imply your ready for a change if not for a drastic turn around next season. Personally, I think we are lucky to have the Dan and his staff.

Reactions: Bardman
Well, as we have seen in other sports, it can go downhill very fast. Did anyone forsee the season after Lamar left? Did anyone really forsee KP when Mack quit?

I'm not saying McDonnell is going to be that bad or that I want him to leave. I'm saying that this catastrophic ending of the baseball season is all to familiar with those other Cards programs.

He needs to right the ship and that may be tougher to do unless he adjusts to the new way of compiling talented baseball players.

Well, the team was in a Super Regional - last year. That same team was one win away from the CWS. That team had its shortcomings as well. This team just didn’t get it together and when it did it was for short period of times. Only two consistent batters - Payton and Knap. The others were all pretty streaky. Pitching - I keep saying - don’t forget we lost a FR mid-week starter right at the beginning of the season. That immediately caused a ripple effect on the staff. Just like hitting, consistency was a major factor. Kade, Alex, Will, Patrick, Ben, Riley, Bevin, Farone. All these guys had some moments but overall they just were not reliable.

Reactions: earsky and Deeva
It is a tough conference. It is very hard to win with young teams against veteran teams. It is an absolute grind. Hitting at this level for average hitters is a 2-3 year process. Pitching can be quicker but only if the pitcher can locate his pitches.

I understand his comments and frustration with fundraising. With what he is making it is as much on him as the administration to raise money. He has the same main donor as he did when he started.

I hope they figure it out. He is a great coach and good in the community.

Couple of observations;

FSU did everything possible to give the game away ….. their infield errors and pitchers losing control late are what set up the Jack Peyton heroics.

McCoy did everything possible to contribute to a loss. At a point in the contest where getting on base was so critical to our season, he swung at 2 balls that were so low and outside the strike zone that both TV analysts inferred that he “chocked”. Any plate discipline whatsoever would have resulted in a walk instead of the strikeout.

UL speed that led to beating out infield hits was most Impressive and timely.

I do not believe in “bad luck”, despite evidence of not getting some much needed breaks at critical times this season; as we have been exceedingly self-destructive in so many more instances via uncharacteristic fielding errors, pitchers walking opposing 8 & 9 lineup hitters at the worst possible time and so many of our own hitters swinging at pitches that were obviously out of the strike Zone.

This is a very talented roster, but as so many of the veteran contributors to this baseball site have expressed their low expectations for this team advancing, it’s the repeated failures that explains the disappointing performances.

Having said this, if I am WF, I have to hope that UL is not included in the ACC tournament.
Rest assured Wake Forest is not afraid of a team that gets beat at home by a lowly FSU team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT