ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball U19 question? (Pertains to Onuaku)

Rhavicc

Getting the Hang of It
Dec 15, 2014
I come in peace. Seen that Chinanu Onuaku went to the USA Basketball U19 camp (he's the lone Card, Isaiah Briscoe is the line Wildcat there). Updated roster today says they weren't cut from camp, so he must be doing pretty well. Any of you all getting any news about the camp?

I seen that nobody was talking about it, so I figured I would bring it up. Might be a very nice opportunity for both players (as far as you all care, Onuaku). A lot that he could learn there, and the chance to represent his country.

I come in peace. Seen that Chinanu Onuaku went to the USA Basketball U19 camp (he's the lone Card, Isaiah Briscoe is the line Wildcat there). Updated roster today says they weren't cut from camp, so he must be doing pretty well. Any of you all getting any news about the camp?

I seen that nobody was talking about it, so I figured I would bring it up. Might be a very nice opportunity for both players (as far as you all care, Onuaku). A lot that he could learn there, and the chance to represent his country.

I haven't seen any type of performance reports. Have just heard Pitino report that he is trying out and that Mathiang is trying out for the Australian National team. Coach Pitino believes just trying out will be a good experience for both of them.

Ah, I see. If you all find any performance reports, it would be much appreciated if they're shared! I will do the same.

I posted a thread about it when it was first announced that Onuaku was trying out for it, but I hadn't read anything further since then.

Update:

Louisville big man Chinanu Onuaku took a significant step toward making the Team USA U19 world championships team on Monday by surviving the first wave of cuts.

The 6-foot-10 sophomore is among the final 16 players vying for 12 Team USA roster spots. UK-bound guard Isaiah Briscoe also made the cut, along with U of L recruiting target Terrance Ferguson, a 6-foot-6 wing. The camp began with 24 players.

Training camp resumes Monday evening in Colorado Springs before moving to Athens, Greece, on June 21. Pool play at the world championships begins June 27, with the U.S. taking on Iran.

FWIW, here's a short video that gives very short highlights of every player that made the cut it seems. On a side note, Vanderbilt's Riley LaChance getting a lot of praise. One thing I noticed last year is that he's able to scorch the nets from deep, put up points in a hurry. He'll be a very, very good college player in a couple of years.

Highlight video here

Per Twitter, Mangok Mathiang HAS been selected to play for the Australian National team in the World University games in Seoul Korea. Congrats to Mangok!

Awesome news, happy he gets the opportunity. It'll be very good for him.

I hope that it helps him to develop his game in all aspects of it !

It always helps to get some new perspective from other coaches. Sean Miller is a good one, especially given his age. I don't see any scenario barring injury that doesn't help Onuaku, even if he gets cut (unlikely at this point considering the number of bigs competing), he's playing alongside some very good players, and under some good coaches.

Reactions: pervisl
It always helps to get some new perspective from other coaches. Sean Miller is a good one, especially given his age. I don't see any scenario barring injury that doesn't help Onuaku, even if he gets cut (unlikely at this point considering the number of bigs competing), he's playing alongside some very good players, and under some good coaches.
Looking to Onuaku having a great season next season with the best coach in college basketball ......Rick Pitino!!

Reactions: pervisl
Isaiah Briscoe, and Chinanu Onuaku make the team. Will be an interesting bonding experience for them, but it's for very good reason.

Looks like Briscoe is out. Banged his head today, suffered a concussion. He will be replaced by Justin Bibbs of Virginia Tech, per Jerry Tipton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT