ADVERTISEMENT

Update On Mahmoud After Knee Surgery

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Anas Mahmoud is back on the court and working out again after surgery in June to repair a torn medial meniscus in his left knee, Louisville coach Rick Pitino confirmed this week.

The sophomore forward/center was walking shortly after the surgery, but his limited exercising regimen helped him gain five pounds, Pitino said. Mahmoud is listed as 7 feet, 200 pounds on the Cardinals' preseason 2015-16 roster, but Pitino said he was up to 215 in June.

Mahmoud set a goal earlier this summer to gain 20 pounds before the season starts.

Pitino said in June that Mahmoud's injury, because it wasn't going to hurt him in the long term, was "almost a blessing" because it allowed Mahmoud to add some weight to his frame.

While a talented and lanky big man, Mahmoud had trouble defending larger post players last season. He showed good timing on shot blocking and a soft touch, which leads Louisville's staff to believe he can be a factor for the Cardinals next season, likely off the bench.

Glad to hear Anas is getting healthy and is able to practice again. I hope he is able to attain his weight and strength goals.

Reactions: Cardiotonic
Good to see him moving around again. He's a different kind of player. A lot of us, hold out hope that he's going to take off sometime during his career, maybe he will.

Rick has hinted or maybe even said he's not sure how much he loves the game though. I wonder if the injury maybe gets him to kind of focus on the mental aspect and what it takes to become a serious player.

Wishing him great things!

Anas Mahmoud is back on the court and working out again after surgery in June to repair a torn medial meniscus in his left knee, Louisville coach Rick Pitino confirmed this week.

The sophomore forward/center was walking shortly after the surgery, but his limited exercising regimen helped him gain five pounds, Pitino said. Mahmoud is listed as 7 feet, 200 pounds on the Cardinals' preseason 2015-16 roster, but Pitino said he was up to 215 in June.

Mahmoud set a goal earlier this summer to gain 20 pounds before the season starts.

Pitino said in June that Mahmoud's injury, because it wasn't going to hurt him in the long term, was "almost a blessing" because it allowed Mahmoud to add some weight to his frame.

While a talented and lanky big man, Mahmoud had trouble defending larger post players last season. He showed good timing on shot blocking and a soft touch, which leads Louisville's staff to believe he can be a factor for the Cardinals next season, likely off the bench.

Glad to hear Anas is getting healthy and is able to practice again. I hope he is able to attain his weight and strength goals.
Good to hear that he's back.

Yeah I'm hoping he gains adequate strength and weight to keep him on the floor a bit more against larger centers. He has the skills to score and defend the rim, Anas just needs the frame and body to match.

ADVERTISEMENT