ADVERTISEMENT

UofL surges in D1Baseball Top 25.

Somehow with no power and virtually no internet I managed to get glimpses of all the games played this weekend. Frankly I'm struck dumb at what we saw from the starters against a couple really good hitting Texas schools, but perhaps even moreso at the sheer volume of good at bats resulting in hard contact up-and-down the lineup.

Dan loves the running game and it's one perennial strength of all of his teams, but the quality and gap-to-gap power from 1 to 9 might harness the need for stealing bases.

I witnessed firsthand the one loss to BGSU (started 7 or 8 seniors), and the roster that showed up in Houston this weekend did not look anything remotely close to what I saw against the Falcons. (Thank you U-Tube; as I saw every game as a result to someone on this site directing me there)

The overly aggressive base running against BGSU was in large part the reason that we lost that game …….. it took several huge offensive opportunities away in the middle innings.

Reactions: rh62531
The SEC is always well represented, and deserving of recognition in college baseball polls, but having 7 out of the top 10, and Vanderbilt having 5 losses remaining at #8 is an indication of conference bias. I have to believe that ESPN has a lot of influence in this poll. If you go to the ESPN website for college sports, you will see the coverage is overwhelming dominated by SEC teams.

Without a doubt. They feed it because it drives viewership just like football. $EC gets people in the stands for baseball - which is awesome - and pimping them only feeds into the support of those programs.

Reactions: earsky and Guardman
Just wrapping up the G Tech series,the more I think about the win on Sunday,the more impressed I am with it. Maybe moreso than the wins in Houston, idk.

Here's a team that has a veteran group of guys that's owned us for the last couple of series,coming off a series tying game on Saturday with a bunch of mojo going into the rubber game. On top of all of that, they're really good. I think the Yellow Jackets will show how good in the next few months.

Reactions: 2330859
The SEC remains dominant in the polls, but I suspect it will evolve once the late season rolls around. WF is for real, and this weekend series between UK and LSU will be interesting and could result in a major advantage for season ending seeding for tournament.

Interesting that we are playing #2 WF at the same time UK is playing #1 LSU …….. huge development for who ends up hosting NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: Bardman
The SEC remains dominant in the polls, but I suspect it will evolve once the late season rolls around. WF is for real, and this weekend series between UK and LSU will be interesting and could result in a major advantage for season ending seeding for tournament.

Interesting that we are playing #2 WF at the same time UK is playing #1 LSU …….. huge development for who ends up hosting NCAA Tournament.
Seems a shame to have to root for UK, but a series win at LSU would be a RPI boon given our (hopefully) 2 games against UK before end of season.

At the end of the day RPI isn’t used to calculate seedings. They talked about this during the BC series.

I really don’t know TBH. I am pretty sure they stated RPI isn’t a factor anymore. What is used…? Who knows.
I don't like the sound of that. Discretionary BS. Hope we got somebody on the committee.

I really don’t know TBH. I am pretty sure they stated RPI isn’t a factor anymore. What is used…? Who knows.
I heard something along those lines during the broadcast, too. The announcers said something like "the RPI isn't really relevant, as football and basketball no longer use it, but here it is, anyway."

I heard something along those lines during the broadcast, too. The announcers said something like "the RPI isn't really relevant, as football and basketball no longer use it, but here it is, anyway."
Maybe my interpretation of what they said is wrong. Maybe baseball still uses it in some way.

Maybe my interpretation of what they said is wrong. Maybe baseball still uses it in some way.
I'm not exactly sure, either. I think the RPI is still a thing. It just doesn't carry as much weight anymore, perhaps. 🤷‍♂️

College baseball is a little vague but I think RPI still holds a lot of weight in the selection process. According to D1 baseball our RPI is 29 and our SOS is 19th. Both Kentucky and Louisville dropped out of top 25.

I cannot argue with either LSU or WF as being in a class by themselves and deserving of their ranking. I would add that perhaps 2 or 3 other teams might be worthy of their rankings in contrast to the rest of the country.

As for the rest of the country; the polling is not an accurate scale for determining seeding. Just a few weeks ago there were 3 non-P5 conference teams rated in the top 12 in the polls who each lost to ACC teams. When one examines the strong and balanced SEC & ACC, one could make an argument that as many as 6 or 7 teams from each of those conferences could qualify for hosting NCAA a games this season.

As for UL; look at their performance when Knap & Jack were both healthy and in the lineup; it is possible that UL would still be hovering around the top 10 had they not been injured. No prediction here at all, but once they return at 100%, it will be interesting to see how much improvement we see. No coincidence that Knap steps in to PH late in the rubber game against Miami and gets an RBI, we truly missed his contribution.

Slide was already underway before Knap & Jack were injured -- @ND, @NCSt & home loss to Lipscomb. They righted the ship with the sweep of BC.

3rd & Central pod raised the key question about what happens when Knap comes back. Does the injury allow McD to move Knap over to 2B? If yes, does Beard play 3B w/ Anderson DHing or does Anderson play 3B with Cook at DH and Logan out?

Slide was already underway before Knap & Jack were injured -- @ND, @NCSt & home loss to Lipscomb. They righted the ship with the sweep of BC.

3rd & Central pod raised the key question about what happens when Knap comes back. Does the injury allow McD to move Knap over to 2B? If yes, does Beard play 3B w/ Anderson DHing or does Anderson play 3B with Cook at DH and Logan out?
What was Knap's injury?

I think you Have to keep Anderson in the lineup somewhere. Beard…sort of the odd man out a bit. If you need a RH DH you can use Beard or Forbes. Anderson’s lefty bat way more valuable and reliable than Cook’s.

What was Knap's injury?
Shoulder sliding into 2B late in the WF series. Hasn't played the field since and has only PH in last game v. Miami. Maybe we see him for a bit tonight and back in the linuep on FRI?

Also, what is the prognostication on Vierling or Klein returning? Love that McCoy is willing to give it a go but that's not really sustainable.

Reactions: Bardman
Shoulder sliding into 2B late in the WF series. Hasn't played the field since and has only PH in last game v. Miami. Maybe we see him for a bit tonight and back in the linuep on FRI?

Also, what is the prognostication on Vierling or Klein returning? Love that McCoy is willing to give it a go but that's not really sustainable.
Knap back in the lineup had 2 hits. Klein and Vierling are both done for the season. It looks like McCoy may have to fill in for the rest of the season. Hopefully Payton didn't suffer a concussion last night. Was woosy after getting hit in the helmet.

I cannot argue with either LSU or WF as being in a class by themselves and deserving of their ranking. I would add that perhaps 2 or 3 other teams might be worthy of their rankings in contrast to the rest of the country.

As for the rest of the country; the polling is not an accurate scale for determining seeding. Just a few weeks ago there were 3 non-P5 conference teams rated in the top 12 in the polls who each lost to ACC teams. When one examines the strong and balanced SEC & ACC, one could make an argument that as many as 6 or 7 teams from each of those conferences could qualify for hosting NCAA a games this season.

As for UL; look at their performance when Knap & Jack were both healthy and in the lineup; it is possible that UL would still be hovering around the top 10 had they not been injured. No prediction here at all, but once they return at 100%, it will be interesting to see how much improvement we see. No coincidence that Knap steps in to PH late in the rubber game against Miami and gets an RBI, we truly missed his contribution.
Unfortunately neither Jack nor Knap can pitch and as always as it seems, pitching is what will determine how far you go

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT