ADVERTISEMENT

UofL Centers Must Be A Scoring Threat This Season- Agree or Disagree?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
What I mean is, do you feel that our centers- Mangok, Onuaku, Mahmoud, etc. must provide at least some kind of scoring threat in order for this team to go far at the end of the season?

With Trez gone, I think it would be more important than ever for the Card's front court to be capable or scoring when needed. I don't believe this team can afford multiple goose egg games from our bigs again this season.

What do you think?

Reactions: pervisl
I would like a threat to score in the pivot. That means when the ball goes inside, our guy must be respected enough to have the other team sag its defense a little.

As far as actual offense from the five, I don't think it's essential provided these hot shot scorers coming in pan out. I'm more interested in consistent defense inside and "rim protection", as Pitino calls it...

Reactions: tn00nan and pervisl
I would like a threat to score in the pivot. That means when the ball goes inside, our guy must be respected enough to have the other team sag its defense a little.

Yeah that is basically what I mean. I wasn't trying to say I want them to be Olajuwan out there. Just that it hurt to have 4 on 5 during offense most of the time because none of our centers had to really be guarded. I would just like it if our center by committee can be enough of an offensive threat to keep other teams honest on defense.

As far as actual offense from the five, I don't think it's essential provided these hot shot scorers coming in pan out. I'm more interested in consistent defense inside and "rim protection", as Pitino calls it...

Those things are definitely important as well, I agree.

It would be nice if Pervis had one more year of eligibility left. With him able to score, our other players had an easier time trying to score. A scoring center definitely helps out the offense.

They need to garner attention as a scoring option by the opponent. The center position needs to keep the defensive honest. It's difficult for the other players to engage if it's always 5 on 4.

They need to garner attention as a scoring option by the opponent. The center position needs to keep the defensive honest. It's difficult for the other players to engage if it's always 5 on 4.

Agreed. Really need one or two of our centers to have at least one or two go-to post moves. Baby hook shot etc. They have to do more than the occasional garbage put back on the offensive end.

Expect more of the same out of the "5" spot offensively. You will still cringe when they throw it to Onuaku. Mathiang might be able to hit a mid-range J that would be nice. No clue what we get from Mahmoud.

They will probably each be better defensively.

Onuaku is a very big guy. We really didn't have a play making G that got our C's the ball around the rim for easy shots. If they drove the lane they shot it most the time or kicked for a 3 or just gave it to Harrell.

Maybe Snider ability to get to the paint will really help Onuaku.

Mango has to catch the ball a lot better than he did last season. Its hard to score when you fumble a pass or rebound. He also missed a lot of shots at point blank range. Better hands, hitting 60% of his shots at the rim and 60% from the free throw line would be significant improvement and with his level of effort would make him an adequate center. Nanu had pretty much the same issues as Mango so I am hoping for improvement in these areas with him also. I do think his ceiling is higher than Mango because he is stronger and has better hands. Mahmoud by far has the most potential offensively. I think he could be really good on the pick and roll provided he gets his weight up and can effectively screen. He has good hands, mobility and handles the ball well for a 7 footer. I think we will also see a reliable 15 to 17 foot jumper from him. Pretty good passer also. I won't comment on Stockman because he has played so little I really don't know what is capable of.

I believe the centers will benefit from having better perimeter shooters. Lee and Lewis are proven 3 point shooters and I expect marked improvement in Snyder's 3 point shooting %. This will stretch the defense and give the 5's more room to operate down low. I think it will also give them better opportunities on the offensive boards.

If as a group we get 10 to 12 points a game, 10 to 12 rebounds a game, 3 to 4 blocks and good overall defensive play we will be in good shape. I expect Lee, Lewis, Mitchell, Snyder, Johnson and Adel get 60 points a game combined.

The Centers need to be solid contributors all around if we are going to be a top 10 team.

Reactions: shadow force
Nice write up, rentalman. I agree that Mangok has to improve his hands of stone and finishing stronger at the rim- no more finesse layups at point blank range. The effort is there, I just hope he can improve in these areas especially.

I'm going to disagree on the condition that enough other scoring threats emerge. You can go far with a defensive center. Give me a big guy who can guard the rim, push bodies around, grab rebounds, have the occasional put back... you can win most games without big offensive numbers.

Of course, this team will be significantly different than last year with all the turnover. If Q can run point consistently like he showed at the end of the year, and Lee is as good as advertised, then that should spread the floor and the scoring.

Quite frankly, unless someone dipped them in a vat of radioactive acid ... I don't expect a huge transformation from the 5 spots. I expect a regular rotation, big bodies and fresh legs. I'd like to see 10 ppg 20 rpg from 5 (collectively) as long as we have threats in guards and wings, we'll be solid.

I'm going to disagree on the condition that enough other scoring threats emerge. You can go far with a defensive center. Give me a big guy who can guard the rim, push bodies around, grab rebounds, have the occasional put back... you can win most games without big offensive numbers.

Of course, this team will be significantly different than last year with all the turnover. If Q can run point consistently like he showed at the end of the year, and Lee is as good as advertised, then that should spread the floor and the scoring.

Quite frankly, unless someone dipped them in a vat of radioactive acid ... I don't expect a huge transformation from the 5 spots. I expect a regular rotation, big bodies and fresh legs. I'd like to see 10 ppg 20 rpg from 5 (collectively) as long as we have threats in guards and wings, we'll be solid.

If our Centers collectively average 20 rebounds a game we will be awfully tough to beat.

Last year, the 3 headed monster at center averaged 7 points, 11 boards, and 3.3 blocks. I'd like to see something closer to 13 points and 13 boards. Harrell is leaving nearly 10 rebounds per night on the table, and the centers are going to have to pick up that slack. Like others already said, I don't need to see a polished interior scorer, but I want to see someone who can take advantage of poor defense.

Onuaku - I have a lot of faith in him. At the beginning of last season he showed great hands, timing on blocks, and vision in the post. He clearly lost confidence at some point. Despite not scoring much, he finished 63% from the field, which tells me he can put the ball in the basket if given the opportunity. I'm guessing 24 minutes, 7 points, and 6 rebounds

Mahmoud - the most talented offensively of the bigs. Great understanding of the game, efficient in the high post, and our best shot blocker. With additional weight and strength, he could be a very good player. I'm guessing 10 minutes, 4 points, and 2 rebounds

Mangok - I expect the least improvement from Mangok. Despite scoring only 2.6 points per game in 17 minutes last year, he finished with an abysmal 39% FG. To shoot that low on that few possessions after 3 years in the program is just ... bad ... to say it nicely. He'll be a nice effort guy in limited minutes. I'm guessing 15 minutes (some at PF), 2 points and 5 rebounds

Last year, the 3 headed monster at center averaged 7 points, 11 boards, and 3.3 blocks. I'd like to see something closer to 13 points and 13 boards. Harrell is leaving nearly 10 rebounds per night on the table, and the centers are going to have to pick up that slack. Like others already said, I don't need to see a polished interior scorer, but I want to see someone who can take advantage of poor defense.

That's what I hope to see from the centers in a nutshell, and if they average around 13 and 13 it would be a big help as well. We've seen quite a few times how much harder it makes it when the other team basically doesn't have to guard or respect the center position on defense.

Just like throwing the ball deep on occasion to keep the defense honest,throwing the ball inside and establishing some kind of threat by our centers seems essential to a better functioning half court offense.How many times have we railed on these boards about our guards ignoring that?

These guys need to know they are important there.It will feed their confidence at other phases of their games.

Snider does a great job feeding the post. I think he's going to earn the starting nod.

Does anyone else remember some of the excellent outlet passes Onuaku was making early last year? That's a major weapon for a big man to have.

Snider does a great job feeding the post. I think he's going to earn the starting nod.

Does anyone else remember some of the excellent outlet passes Onuaku was making early last year? That's a major weapon for a big man to have.

I do.Look for a return in trying to push the ball down the court by CP.He's on record already about finding points to replace the guys gone.Pushing the ball on missed shots,which starts with that outlet,seems like a mindset that CP will instill with this group.Easy baskets solve some of that.

Just like throwing the ball deep on occasion to keep the defense honest,throwing the ball inside and establishing some kind of threat by our centers seems essential to a better functioning half court offense.How many times have we railed on these boards about our guards ignoring that?

These guys need to know they are important there.It will feed their confidence at other phases of their games.

I think with Snider, a distributing PG, that he or some others might be more willing to pass the ball inside for at least a bit of inside/out game. I do remember the great outlet passes Onuaku was throwing and hope he keeps that up this season. But just as the back court needs to let the bigs know they value and trust them with the ball, the front court needs to be able to show that trust is valid by being able to do SOMETHING on offense occasionally.

What good does passing the ball inside do if our bigs don't have any moves to score with, can't catch the ball, or turn it over more often than not? This is why I'm really hoping that at least a couple of the bigs can be counted on to score in the pivot/post.

I think with Snider, a distributing PG, that he or some others might be more willing to pass the ball inside for at least a bit of inside/out game. I do remember the great outlet passes Onuaku was throwing and hope he keeps that up this season. But just as the back court needs to let the bigs know they value and trust them with the ball, the front court needs to be able to show that trust is valid by being able to do SOMETHING on offense occasionally.

What good does passing the ball inside do if our bigs don't have any moves to score with, can't catch the ball, or turn it over more often than not? This is why I'm really hoping that at least a couple of the bigs can be counted on to score in the pivot/post.

Couldn't agree more shadow.Last season was what it was.Our bigs biggest problem was a lack of confidence in themselves.That has to change and I think it will.Unfortunately,not going in there probably only adds to the problem.I really was referring to any well functioning half court offense from the past.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT