ADVERTISEMENT

UL as a "Should Win"?

CardFan1130

Two-Star Poster
Jan 1, 2015
Why do those blueneck idiots still think that UL is a "should win" for them? What alternate universe do they live in? I saw a post that said the 3 OOC opponents, UL and Vandy are 5 "should wins" every year. Based on what? Hell they've been dominated by Vandy in recent years and since the Titanic sank, we've dominated the series. WTF goes through the minds of those idiots?

Reactions: Mayoman
Why do those blueneck idiots still think that UL is a "should win" for them? What alternate universe do they live in? I saw a post that said the 3 OOC opponents, UL and Vandy are 5 "should wins" every year. Based on what? Hell they've been dominated by Vandy in recent years and since the Titanic sank, we've dominated the series. WTF goes through the minds of those idiots?
You gotta love those bluenecks.

Believe it and it shall happen. Always does in the movies.

LPT Football: Probably gonna take more than that...

A simplistic view is that they lost a close game at our house and we are sending 10-11 guys to the NFL and are losing many starters including our most prolific players from this season (Parker, Holliman, Maulden, Sample), and next year we are at their house. I don't know what they bring back because I don't pay attention to UK football until it's game week against them, but based on what I just wrote, I can see why they think this with blue glasses on.

What they aren't considering is that they were playing for a bowl game last year, the pre-game stuff threw our team for a loop (they looked very unprepared for the first half - and you know they were prepared), we just came off a win at Notre Dame, and they had a bye week to prepare. Oh and we had to insert our 3rd string QB in there after an injury (although Bolin did play a good game). Next year will be Year 2 of Bobby 2.0, a year that has shown to be quite prolific. Bobby will have the Cards drooling after last year's pregame BS, and by default many of these factors won't repeat themselves.

Bolin played a good game but threw a pick 6 and we had another TO returned for a touchdown. Score was deceptively close due to that

I don't get it. They've done the same thing with Missouri since Mizzou joined the SEC and they've been blown out all 3 times, yet count them as a sure win every year.

Let the mouth breathers have their hope. It means nothing to our program.

I don't count UofL as a should win, but I see no reason to think UK won't have a great shot at winning the game.

It's at CWS. How big of an advantage that will be will be determined by how the season is going up until that point.

UK is really only losing two impact players off either side of the ball in Dupree and Smith. With that in mind, UK is bringing in a ton of players off of redshirt years from the best recruiting class UK has had since Rivals started doing recruiting rankings. I know every school is bringing guys off redshirt years, but for UK it is going to massively improve depth and talent. There are two guys I'm especially excited to see in West and Edwards. Both are 4 star DBs that sat out last season, and likely would've gotten plenty of playing time, if not started last season as true freshmen.

UK played a bunch of young guys out of necessity last season. While it really hurt at times, it will pay dividends this year. Talented experience and depth will be a strength for the first time since Stoops arrived at UK. Ryan Flannigan and Josh Forrest both really got it going in the second half of the season at LB. Denzel Ware and Jason Hatcher both have looked really good this spring. They both still have a bunch to learn in terms of playing standing up on the DL, but both possess elite explosion off the ball. Boom Williams will only be better. Mikel Horton has put on 15 lbs without losing a step.

I also think the switch from Brown to Dawson will be an improvement for several reasons. The terminology is going to remain basically the same, but the philosophies are different. Dawson will look to stretch the field more, which will play more to PT's strengths. With Snodgrass, Montgomery, and Badet all coming off years where they sat, and Johnson, Bone, and Baker having another year of experience the deep threat will be there. Dawson has already said the QB won't be running the ball 15 times a game, which was a gripe I had with Brown. Also, Dawson is an actual QB coach, where Brown was not.

Finally, Stoops' comments are way more positive than last spring. That in itself gives me reason for optimism.

I'm not saying all is well and good. There are still plenty of questions and holes to fill. Especially at DB and LB. However, plenty of reasons to think UK will be improved enough to compete with and beat UofL.

Did someone recently ask for a bunch of info about the LPT football team?

o_O

LPT Football: The less you know, the better...

Reactions: genghis_card
...UK is bringing in a ton of players...
...UK it is going to massively improve...
...I'm especially excited to see...

The superlatives are hilarious. Esp. while a six-game losing streak is underway.

"Stoops' comments are way more positive than last spring..." That's always a good gauge for me!

"I'm not saying all is well and good..." He said after just saying all was well and good.

LPT Football: We'll be in trouble if our fans ever wise up...

Reactions: LockdownCard
I consider the game being played at Commonwealth as an potential advantage for the UofL.

Take a look at this schedule and tell me where you see enough wins to be bowl eligible. Louisiana Tech, EKU, Charlotte should be wins as should Vandy in Nashville. That's 4 wins. (I don't feel real good about any of these being easy wins for Kentucky for various reasons. For example, Charlotte returns 20 of 22 starters from a team that finished 5-6 last season.

That means UK will have to win two from this group just to each .500: South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisville.

If Kentucky is bowl eligible, or playing for a bowl game like last year, the crowd will be heavily blue. However, if Kentucky is out of bowl contention, and the fans moved on to basketball, there could well be more Red in Commonwealth than Blue.

Sep. 5 Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA
Sep. 12 at South Carolina Gamecocks
Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC TBA
Sep. 19 Florida Gators
Saturday
Sep. 26 Missouri Tigers
Saturday
Oct. 3
eastern-kentucky1.gif
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
Saturday
Oct. 10 --- Open Date --- ---
Oct. 15 Auburn Tigers
Oct. 24 at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA
Oct. 31 Tennessee Volunteers
Nov. 7 at Georgia Bulldogs
Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA TBA
Nov. 14 at Vanderbilt Commodores
Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN TBA
Nov. 21 Charlotte 49ers
Nov. 28 Louisville Cardinals
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY

Thought I read where LA Tech has gone to four straight bowl games. That should be another easy win.

LPT Football: Is anyone safe?...

I don't count UofL as a should win, but I see no reason to think UK won't have a great shot at winning the game.

It's at CWS. How big of an advantage that will be will be determined by how the season is going up until that point.

UK is really only losing two impact players off either side of the ball in Dupree and Smith. With that in mind, UK is bringing in a ton of players off of redshirt years from the best recruiting class UK has had since Rivals started doing recruiting rankings. I know every school is bringing guys off redshirt years, but for UK it is going to massively improve depth and talent. There are two guys I'm especially excited to see in West and Edwards. Both are 4 star DBs that sat out last season, and likely would've gotten plenty of playing time, if not started last season as true freshmen.

UK played a bunch of young guys out of necessity last season. While it really hurt at times, it will pay dividends this year. Talented experience and depth will be a strength for the first time since Stoops arrived at UK. Ryan Flannigan and Josh Forrest both really got it going in the second half of the season at LB. Denzel Ware and Jason Hatcher both have looked really good this spring. They both still have a bunch to learn in terms of playing standing up on the DL, but both possess elite explosion off the ball. Boom Williams will only be better. Mikel Horton has put on 15 lbs without losing a step.

I also think the switch from Brown to Dawson will be an improvement for several reasons. The terminology is going to remain basically the same, but the philosophies are different. Dawson will look to stretch the field more, which will play more to PT's strengths. With Snodgrass, Montgomery, and Badet all coming off years where they sat, and Johnson, Bone, and Baker having another year of experience the deep threat will be there. Dawson has already said the QB won't be running the ball 15 times a game, which was a gripe I had with Brown. Also, Dawson is an actual QB coach, where Brown was not.

Finally, Stoops' comments are way more positive than last spring. That in itself gives me reason for optimism.

I'm not saying all is well and good. There are still plenty of questions and holes to fill. Especially at DB and LB. However, plenty of reasons to think UK will be improved enough to compete with and beat UofL.

Gee, never heard this before! All our new players (who couldn't beat out the old players) are now better than the old players who sucked. Plus we got Stoops!!

CWS hasn't exactly been a hornet's nest for opponents over the years. In fact, in games played there UL holds an 8-4 advantage but yeah the game being in Lexington certainly favors Big Blue because of its rabid fans.

Did they forget that we beat them with our third string QB last season? Enough said.

I consider the game being played at Commonwealth as an potential advantage for the UofL.

Take a look at this schedule and tell me where you see enough wins to be bowl eligible. Louisiana Tech, EKU, Charlotte should be wins as should Vandy in Nashville. That's 4 wins. (I don't feel real good about any of these being easy wins for Kentucky for various reasons. For example, Charlotte returns 20 of 22 starters from a team that finished 5-6 last season.

That means UK will have to win two from this group just to each .500: South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisville.

If Kentucky is bowl eligible, or playing for a bowl game like last year, the crowd will be heavily blue. However, if Kentucky is out of bowl contention, and the fans moved on to basketball, there could well be more Red in Commonwealth than Blue.

Sep. 5 Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA Possible Loss
Sep. 12 at South Carolina Gamecocks
Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC TBA Loss
Sep. 19 Florida Gators
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA Loss
Saturday
Sep. 26 Missouri Tigers
Saturday
Oct. 3
eastern-kentucky1.gif
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA Ugly win (SHC's Upset Special)
Saturday
Oct. 10 --- Open Date --- ---
Oct. 15 Auburn Tigers
Oct. 24 at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA Loss
Oct. 31 Tennessee Volunteers
Nov. 7 at Georgia Bulldogs
Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA TBA Loss
Nov. 14 at Vanderbilt Commodores
Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN TBA Toss Up
Nov. 21 Charlotte 49ers
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA Win
Nov. 28 Louisville Cardinals
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY
LOSS

WWW, blah,blah,blah,blah,blah! Neal Brown was a god on your board until he left. UK fans love to place blame and this is no different than any other coach in your history. He was good enough to become a head coach but not good enough for your sad Cats. Your greatest recruiting classes were still in the cellar in the SEC and it tailed off last year. You continue to have a large mountain to climb.

UK played a bunch of young guys out of necessity last season. While it really hurt at times, it will pay dividends this year.
So your saying though you were playing lots of young guys, your coach decided to redshirt your two best DB's.

I get it now. Bigger, faster, stronger. All while UofL loses all their best players and replaces none of them.

Hell let's just go ahead and mail them governors cup and the last two basketball championship trophies. What the hell let's send them next year's trophies for both football and basketball.

Last edited:
One int away from it this year...

The two four star DBs redshirted because one had a broken leg and the other had a bunch of issues getting enrolled/cleared but was also later injured . Both would've played significant minutes last year. It's going to be a great game. Stoops and the staff have managed to close the gap in our rosters pretty well going into his third season

Last edited:
...Stoops and the staff have managed to close the gap in our rosters pretty well going into his third season
Even if that was true, how do you compensate for the difference in coaching?

LPT Football: Grand Canyon...

Who says there's a gap in coaching?

I keep reading that UofL beat UK with their third string QB, but that speaks more to Petrino's evaluation of the position than it does UK's ability to defend UofL's starting QB.

This thread was started asking why UK fans were so confident about beating UofL. I just gave the reasons why, and stated my opinion. Sorry if that rubbed some of you the wrong way.

Believe me, while some UK fans may take UofL lightly, I'm not taking UK's game against UofL as a win. But UK will be much approved over last season. This past season was a close game, and this season will be the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if UK is favored when the odds are set.

Ryan Flannigan and Josh Forrest both really got it going in the second half of the season at LB.
They did? The second half of the season where you went 0-6 and gave up 41, 45, 63, 20, 50 and 44? That 2nd half of the season. Glad those 2 "really got it going" because the other 9 on the vaunted Cat D must have been asleep when they should have been trying to stop somebody....anybody.

You idiots say the same crap every single year.

Last edited:
Who says there's a gap in coaching?

I keep reading that UofL beat UK with their third string QB, but that speaks more to Petrino's evaluation of the position

Sorry if that rubbed some of you the wrong way.

(1) Lol!

(2) no it says that QBs 1 and 2 got injured so the 3rd guy had to
play you moron

(3) It didn't rub anybody the wrong way; we're laughing at you.

IRyan Flannigan and Josh Forrest both really got it going in the second half of the season at LB.

That second half of the season that saw 6 straight losses and that vaunted D that gave up 41, 45, 20(?), 63, 50 and 44? Where Georgia had the ball 9 times, and scored 9 TDs never punting once? That's "getting it going"? What were the other 9 players asleep? The narrative you idiots create in your heads is astounding. And it is every single year.

The problem with UK football isn't recruiting or coaching it's the culture. In September '84 Coach Claiborne knew he was going to have his best team. He strongly considered announcing his retirement at the start of the season. Not because of his age or energy but because of a small vocal group of UK boosters that wanted to hire Coach Schnellenberger and the pressure was mounting. Coach Schnellenberger found himself without a job the previous month when his USFL head coaching job failed to materialize.

Schnellenberger supporters in Lexington wanted Howard to be approached as a coach in waiting. The deal was close to being made until the basketball boosters said enough. At the time Coach Hall was starting his final season. The basketball boosters feared that hiring Coach Schnellenberger would improve football support to the point that basketball would lose its position as the sport in Lexington. Hagan, being a former UK basketball player, was easily encouraged to keep Howard out of Lexington.

By November 1984, Coach Schnellenberger began talking to Louisville about their head coaching position and the rest as they say is history.

I share this story for those, too young or too wrapped up in UK basketball, to understand how important UK's failure to seize the moment was to Louisville's football success. It's hard to say who Louisville would have hired to replace Coach Weber if UK would have hired Coach Schnellenberger. Would UofL football be FBS? Would PJCS ever been built? Would the UofL be a member of The ACC?

I do know that in September of 1984 a small group of football boosters in Lexington unknowing helped save Louisville football by raising interest in an unemployed football coach from Louisville in Florida.

Here's the facts: You've gone 9-27 the last 3 yrs, which includes a sterling conference mark of 2-22. Of those 9 wins the best was a win over 7-6 SC for which you printed tshirts. The others include wins over 2 OVC teams, 1 from the SWAC, an 0-12 Miami Ohio, Kent St., Ohio U., 2-10 Vandy, Louisiana-Monroe. Before last yrs big win you had been out scored by VANDY!!! to the tune of 100-14 in 3 games. Vandy I say! You're the 3rd best program in your own state---Western Ky. owns you and you proved it by refusing to play them anymore. But by all means tell us how great you guys are gonna be "next year" and how UL is a "should win" every year, because that's what the post said. I simply wanted to know where such confidence stems from because you clowns spew the same BS year after year.

When I got the away ticket email a couple of weeks ago I strongly considered not paying $75 a ticket to sit in the upper deck UofL section. I figured by November I could buy lower bowl tickets from UK fans who had given up on 2015 but were already talking about how UK will contend for the SEC East title in 2016 and that UofL was a sure win "next year."

I don't see how the past has any bearing on this season. Yes the past 4-5 seasons have been awful. Joker drove our program further into the ground than Mumme was able to with probation. Just as our program had begun to turn a corner with Brooks Joker burned it to the ground. I'm sure you guys can relate having been Kragthorped. This isn't your daddy's UK team though and Stoops isn't Joker. This rivalry is about to turn up to another level. If you can't acknowledge the job our staff is doing right now you're just a hater and that's ok

I don't see how the past has any bearing on this season. Yes the past 4-5 seasons have been awful. Joker drove our program further into the ground than Mumme was able to with probation. Just as our program had begun to turn a corner with Brooks Joker burned it to the ground. I'm sure you guys can relate having been Kragthorped. This isn't your daddy's UK team though and Stoops isn't Joker. This rivalry is about to turn up to another level. If you can't acknowledge the job our staff is doing right now you're just a hater and that's ok

What are we supposed to be acknowledging again? The only people who think Stoops is the bee's knees are you jokers. Did you see those last 6 games (yeah you "almost" got us but you were as awful as any of Joker's teams ever were). That team last year was only slightly better than the 2 win team the year before. How exactly is Stoops not Joker? What because he's recruited a little better? You goofs act like recuiting is off the charts. Wasn't the last class ranked 13th out of 14 SEC teams and his best class was 11th or so. Yeah start making those BCS Bowl reservations, it's coming!! You idiots do the same thing year after year, decade after decade. So desperate to hang your hat on something that you'll hang it on anything. DREW BARKER!!!! Teddy Bridgewater is no Max Smith!!11!!! Dumbest fan base in America

A friendly reminder for you slaps!cks: your team last beat Florida in Reagan's 2nd term (took us 1 try). You're a combined 1-57 (you read that right) in your last 58 games against Florida and UT. You have fewer SEC titles than Tulane. But this is the year eh? Enjoy!

The problem with UK football isn't recruiting or coaching it's the culture. In September '84 Coach Claiborne knew he was going to have his best team. He strongly considered announcing his retirement at the start of the season. Not because of his age or energy but because of a small vocal group of UK boosters that wanted to hire Coach Schnellenberger and the pressure was mounting. Coach Schnellenberger found himself without a job the previous month when his USFL head coaching job failed to materialize.

Schnellenberger supporters in Lexington wanted Howard to be approached as a coach in waiting. The deal was close to being made until the basketball boosters said enough. At the time Coach Hall was starting his final season. The basketball boosters feared that hiring Coach Schnellenberger would improve football support to the point that basketball would lose its position as the sport in Lexington. Hagan, being a former UK basketball player, was easily encouraged to keep Howard out of Lexington.

By November 1984, Coach Schnellenberger began talking to Louisville about their head coaching position and the rest as they say is history.

I share this story for those, too young or too wrapped up in UK basketball, to understand how important UK's failure to seize the moment was to Louisville's football success. It's hard to say who Louisville would have hired to replace Coach Weber if UK would have hired Coach Schnellenberger. Would UofL football be FBS? Would PJCS ever been built? Would the UofL be a member of The ACC?

I do know that in September of 1984 a small group of football boosters in Lexington unknowing helped save Louisville football by raising interest in an unemployed football coach from Louisville in Florida.

Right-on! Just the way it happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT