ADVERTISEMENT

U of L target McGusty ready to trim list

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
One of the top guards in the Class of 2016 is ready to trim his list of potential schools down to "three to five" this weekend, and there's good reason to think Louisville will make the cut.

Kameron McGusty, a 6-foot-5 Texas native, told reporters at the Under Armour Association finals on Thursday evening that he plans to talk about his recruiting process with his parents and narrow down his choices by Saturday or Sunday night. From there, he'll start lining up campus visits.

Louisville, which offered a scholarship to McGusty in late June, is working hard on McGusty and appears to be in the thick of a recruiting battle with Connecticut, Oklahoma and Texas.

U of L coach Rick Pitino and assistant Ralph Willard watched McGusty play twice on Thursday at the UA Finals.

"Louisville's really involved," McGusty said. "They talk to me a lot. I talk to (assistant coach Kenny) Johnson a lot. I talk to (coach Rick) Pitino every once in a while. He's real busy coaching the Puerto Rico National Team, so I don't talk to him as much, but my parents are talking to him."
McGusty has had a strong summer in AAU ball, averaging 21.7 points and 5.1 rebounds a game on the Under Armour circuit, including three contests in which he scored 30-plus. He has risen to No. 29 in the country in the latest Scout recruiting rankings, while his ranking on ESPN, 247Sports and Rivals range from 35 to 40.

In an interview Thursday, McGusty said his playing style fits well with Louisville.

"(The Cards) let their guards go and that's what I do best," McGusty said. "Any time a defense is in man, it's a match-up problem. That's how I feel and that's how I attack defenses. Some teams don't let their guards play as much – they like to go inside the post a lot – but they let their guards play. They come off ball screens, they attack. I really feel like, at that level, when you're playing at Louisville, there's no such thing as a bad shot, because players (Pitino) recruits are very high-level basketball players. So, he really lets you get going. Like me, when I get going, I get going."

McGusty said he would base his college decision on "opportunity" when asked if the decision of another prominent wing on the recruiting circuit, Maverick Rowan, would impact him at all.

"So whichever program I feel like is best for me and I feel like I can help the most, that's where I'm going to go," McGusty said.

ADVERTISEMENT