ADVERTISEMENT

Two deep charts

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Over here today on a beautiful day for baseball ⚾️ 😎 and got to thinking about the position charts and the two,maybe three deep charts and what they look like heading into the season.

Maybe the deepest team ever over here for Coach Mac especially at the positions. Some newcomers flying under the radar kinda making it that way.

I'll have to get my Fall roster out when I get home to get some of the names right.

Thoughts?

Still looking for that Fall roster,but I know enough to get started with the middle of the infield. Now keep in mind that these guys are mostly all capable of playing both ss and 2b positions,but depending on how CM moves the lineup around,this is how it could look opening day. There are two guys that will be in the lineup every day imo: Knap and Beard,but Logan could dh on some days,as could any of a number of guys in these 3 deep charts. If Beard is at 3rd,that changes everything at 2nd obviously.

2b Three deep chart :
Logan Beard,Noah Smith,(Knap), Biven

SS Three deep chart :
Knap,Kilen, Smith

I have not spotted Calise, so I'm not sure if he's still hurt,redshirting or what.

3rd Base : Four deep if Logan moves over.

(Beard),Anderson,Forbes and Cook.

There's a real battle taking place for some of these backup spots if Beard is playing second or dhing. Forbes had a great Fall,but he's a year behind Cook and Anderson. He could dh quite a bit though,looking at just what he did in the Fall.

First base looks solid for Juco transfer McCoy who also had a solid Fall camp.

After that,it could be Smith or Cook. Noah played some 1st in Fall and had a solid camp as well hitting. I think there will be different ways to get Smith on the field or batting lineup.

Just reading some pre-season projections for UofL. It was…interesting. I am wondering if a couple of guys are hurt. Galvan and Koger were not even mentioned amongst the pitchers which I found very odd. The article mentioned a JUCO pitcher (hadn’t even heard of the guy). The author think the OF is a bit thin. Mentioned Isaac, King and Hawkins as projected starters with Benson still coming back from injury (didn’t know he got hurt again). Mentioned The FR from Trinity (Dickenson) as a potential player out there (thought he was a catcher). At any rate, it appears there are many options in the infield. OF could be a bit suspect. Pitching - well, that is the $1M question. If are guys hit the strike zone and can show consistency - we should be in very good shape.

Anderson looks 20 pounds heavier and is pushing to make 3rd Base his. Real battles going on daily. Beard's been at 2nd most of the weekend.

The outfield is anchored by captain Isaac Humphrey in right. After that,there are several guys that could see action early on and off.
King,Hawkins and Benson head up the returning veterans but are being pushed by several newcomers out there,most notably Dickerson.

It does sound like prognosticators believe this UL baseball team is very talented; what does Earsky think at this early point in time?
I think we're loaded at the positions and the daily competition has made the veterans even better. I wouldn't write off the loss of all the home runs just yet. There are candidates to replace some of those. These guys hit it everywhere, using all fields.

Starting pitchers look solid 💪 so far for two thirds of the weekend and there are several guys looking to get that third and fourth spot behind Kuehner and Phillips. There are a bunch of arms shaping the bullpen, but as you guys all know, they have to stay healthy and be consistent for a deep run.
Ought to be a fun season, watching the different rotations early and going into league play with a better idea what some of those positions might look like every day.

Honestly, I say it's high time to bring home the big trophy 🏆 and this just might be the team that does it.

I agree. It doesn’t appear there is as much power. But, give me doubles and singles all day long and add in speed on the bases…that works out just fine. I sort of hope Riley earns that Friday soot as I think he has a higher upside. Tate can be very consistent and reliable so Sat works. Who gets Sunday? I think it will be interesting between Hawkes, Koger and Galvan (IMO).

Reactions: 2330859
What do you think our starting 11 looks like in a few weeks?
If you're asking me, just what I think about opening day, I'd say that there are 5 guys that look like they'll be in the lineup every day somewhere.
I'm not sure about the batting order,but look for Knap to lead off just as he did last season.
Opening day lineup might change though for the first month of the season but if I'm guessing:

Knap-ss
Beard-2b(dh)(3b)
Humphrey-rf
Payton-c
McCoy-1b
Eddie King-lf
Noah Smith-dh(2b)(ss)
Hawkins or Benson-cf
Anderson or Forbes -3b(dh if Beard slides over to third base)
Phillips or Kuehner on the hill

I do still believe hairs are being split on that center field and third base spot. Also, if Beard plays third,it could put Smith or Kilen on second or at short,with Knap at Second.

Look for a different combination daily for a while until guys win a spot. Knap, Beard,Payton, Humphrey and possibly Smith have already done that.

Remember this about little #9. He led the country in runs scored last year before he tweaked his ankle. He will be on the field at either short or Second every day imho.

I read about the Juco pitcher pushing for time. Liggett as well. I also like Grundy. A few guys are really needed and in the pen who can come in and pitch 3-5 innings at times. Weigman, Hawks (who could start), Corbett, Webster, etc. Think I read Forbes is a possible 2-way guy as he may be in play as a closer.

Reactions: earsky
I read about the Juco pitcher pushing for time. Liggett as well. I also like Grundy. A few guys are really needed and in the pen who can come in and pitch 3-5 innings at times. Weigman, Hawks (who could start), Corbett, Webster, etc. Think I read Forbes is a possible 2-way guy as he may be in play as a closer.
Hawks might be the front runner for that Sunday spot, but I did see Ligget a few times in the Fall and he was really impressive. Lots of arms in the bullpen and hopefully they're all a year better.
Farone could be a candidate for closer. He's 6'6" and brings it,but Galvan might fit that closer role as well. Should be interesting...

Reactions: FlavRunit
Of course, we're gonna need a mid week guy too. It would be great to have somebody solid going there with all of these big games on Tuesdays. You could argue that midweek spot as valuable as any I guess 🤷

Reactions: Bardman
Of course, we're gonna need a mid week guy too. It would be great to have somebody solid going there with all of these big games on Tuesdays. You could argue that midweek spot as valuable as any I guess 🤷
Totally agree. I’d love to see a Soph or Jr mid-week. Let’s face it - those games are very important. Many teams are throwing a pretty young guy mid-week and having a full staff and being able to put someone like Grundy or Koger, etc. out there would be great.

Thanks Earsky and Bardman for these analysis ..........I get more updates on UL Baseball here than anywhere!!!

Couple of more weeks! I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot of different guys playing and some potential losses in Feb/Mar. Then, the field and the mound settle in and things start to click. Of course, I say this and watch this group start out 17-1 or something like that LOL.

Couple of more weeks! I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot of different guys playing and some potential losses in Feb/Mar. Then, the field and the mound settle in and things start to click. Of course, I say this and watch this group start out 17-1 or something like that LOL.
Yeah, there will be a lot of different rotations. Some of these positions will have to be won or lost in the first month or so of the season. I can think of at least 3,maybe 4.
I do think that CM will find different ways to get Noah Smith in the batting lineup,either as a fielder(and he does have a first baseman's mitt) or as a dh. He had one of the better Fall camps hitting.

Should be fun watching these guys jell into a championship caliber team.

Reactions: 2330859
Yep. Last year it seemed like we didn’t see anything until about three days before the opening game. I think with the abundance of talent and competition it just takes CDM some time to make those tough decisions.

Earsky & Bardman: thank you for these informative updates! I do not get much outside info until the season starts, so this is most appreciated.

I gave up on Men’s Basketball several years back, and my interest is confined to UL Football and UL Baseball, along with WBB & WVB.

Is it normal for there still to be no roster posted by U of L this close to the first game?
Not sure why,but Bardman is right. I really think position wise it's probably ready,but Mac's probably running these last 3 scrimmages this weekend before him and Miller decide on the pitching staff. 🤔

Reactions: rh62531
Based on decoding McD's media day, I'd expect to see Payton, McCoy, Beard, Knap & Humphrey in the lineup every day. The 2 FR Cs will take SAT and some midweek innings w/ Payton DHing. Anderson, Smith & Killen will take some of the IF and 3B innings. When Smith or Killen are in, I expect Knap at 2B and Beard at 3B and them at SS. Benson, King, Hawkins and the JUCO transfer (forgot name) likely to get innings in the OF to "win" additional innings as the season progresses.

On the mound, things are less settled. McD tipped Kuehner & Hawks and mentioned Farone. I was surprised Big Red wasn't mentioned as, if healthy, I think he ends up the FRI starter. Before Shriner's Classic I would pay much less attention to who starts than who gets outs, attacks the zone and works efficiently. By the time we get to ACC we should have a better idea of some roles (weekend SPs, Closer, long relief, etc.)

I agree that in Feb we should see plenty of faces. I am sure CDM wants to be ready for Houston and will play whomever is ‘on’ at that time in order to showcase his team.

Based on decoding McD's media day, I'd expect to see Payton, McCoy, Beard, Knap & Humphrey in the lineup every day. The 2 FR Cs will take SAT and some midweek innings w/ Payton DHing. Anderson, Smith & Killen will take some of the IF and 3B innings. When Smith or Killen are in, I expect Knap at 2B and Beard at 3B and them at SS. Benson, King, Hawkins and the JUCO transfer (forgot name) likely to get innings in the OF to "win" additional innings as the season progresses.

On the mound, things are less settled. McD tipped Kuehner & Hawks and mentioned Farone. I was surprised Big Red wasn't mentioned as, if healthy, I think he ends up the FRI starter. Before Shriner's Classic I would pay much less attention to who starts than who gets outs, attacks the zone and works efficiently. By the time we get to ACC we should have a better idea of some roles (weekend SPs, Closer, long relief, etc.)
Not wanting to be negative but pitching, as it always is, will be key. I know, Captain Obvious. But how many times prior to maybe the last two years did we not go into a season already knowing who at least the Friday and Saturday game starters were and a couple of options for Sunday. We have got to get those stud pitchers back.

There are some good looking new faces coming in to the pitching staff this year. I think the returning guys don't have to be great,but they certainly have to pitch cleanly. Farone is a real option, I thought Red looked really good the other day but Kuehner has to get out of the gate early with his breaking ball.
The youngsters might be counted on to shore up the staff,but if the staff as a whole can throw strikes, the offense will overcome the lack of superstars imo.

Reactions: Bardman
I agree. The pitching staff doesn’t have to be filled full of AAs. They need to pound the zone and keep the ball down. This staff is far more talented than it was a couple of seasons ago. Realize also, the staff that struggled so badly the year we didn’t advance to the tournament was injury plagued. Tate - whether he starts or not - he should be on the mound for a lot of innings. He is consistently decent, at worse, and very good at his best.

I think Ligget will get an opportunity to take one of the starting spots. He might have as much upside as any.

Maybe, with the young guys, he just didn’t see the opportunity to see the mound very much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT