ADVERTISEMENT

Top '16 PG Smith talks Rozier, eyes U of L

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
INDIANAPOLIS – Dennis Smith Jr. arrived at the adidas Uprising Gauntlet Series here at Best Choice Field House as the top-rated point guard in the Class of 2016 on most of the major recruiting sites.

Like his counterpart Kobi Simmons, whose AAU team also played here in Indianapolis and who is Smith's primary challenger for that top point-guard ranking, Smith attracted the attention of just about every coach scouting this weekend's games.

But the 6-foot-3 North Carolina native insists that none of those things have much impact on his day-to-day life. He is working on his game – trying to be more vocal on the court is his current focus – and enjoying what should be an entertaining AAU circuit over the next few months.
He is not worried about that top rating at his position, and he thinks he can enjoy what should be one of the nation's most intense recruiting processes. It has started to heat up since the end of college basketball season and the beginning of offseason travel hoops.
"I'm taking my time with it," Smith said. "It can be overwhelming at times, so I have to try and have fun with it."

On Friday, Smith mentioned the University of Louisville as one of the schools that is recruiting him the hardest. Assistant coach Kenny Johnson, the primary U of L recruiter in touch with Smith and his dad, sat courtside and watched Smith compile 14 points, seven assists, four rebounds, three blocks and a steal in a blowout victory.

With his explosiveness and exceptional athleticism, it's no wonder that the Cardinals have made Smith one of their top priorities for the 2016 class. They have two sure-fire scholarships available for next school year, and they are in the market for a guard.

Louisville's vision for Smith, Johnson and head coach Rick Pitino told him, is to use him in a similar way to how they used Terry Rozier, who entered the NBA draft after this past season.

Rozier, who played a combination guard role on offense and guarded opponents' shooting guards, was Smith's "favorite guard to watch in college last year," he said.

The two have struck up a friendship, though Smith said they mostly talk about basketball and life, and not so much recruiting. Rozier, for his part, called Smith a "freak athlete."

"Coach Johnson knows I watched Terry Rozier a lot," Smith said. "He understands the things I can do. They've got a pretty guard-oriented offense. The way they used Terry last year, they believe I can do just that."

As you would expect, Louisville has significant competition for Smith's services. Duke, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina and North Carolina State are all hotly recruiting him. Each program was represented at his first two games here in Indianapolis.

He has taken several unofficial visits to both Duke and UNC, and he visited NC State's campus last summer. Kansas coach Bill Self made the trek to Fayetteville at the end of March to meet with Smith and his family, and Florida's Billy Donovan made the same trip last fall.

Location, to Smith, isn't a big factor in his decision-making process. He said Friday that he will have extended conversations with his dad over the coming months and cut his list sometime during his senior year.

In the meantime, as college coaches fight for his commitment, Smith knows he can control his own situation. That way he can have fun with it on his own time, and not stress about it.

"I'm not really a phone guy," Smith said, grinning. "I'm not in my phone too much, so it's not hard for me to block all that out when I want to."

About Smith

Class: 2016; Position: Lead guard; Size: 6-3, 180.

Rankings: Scout (6th overall, tied 1st for PG); ESPN (4th overall, 1st PG); 247 (2nd overall, 1st PG); Rivals (4th overall).

Well when it comes to these elite prospects and us . Just hold your breath and don't get excited tired of being the jilted bride .

I'm hoping Johnson can land us some of these prospect. Actually getting lee over Arizona was a big step IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT