ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a Change in Recruiting?

Jul 23, 2014
- Think high school players choose colleges based on the heartstrings pull of ol' State U.

- Think high school players choose colleges based on who wins and who loses.

- Think high school players choose colleges based on anything other than developing a relationship with a specific coach who they believe can get them to the NFL as quickly as possible.

MORE: NSD: Winners & Losers

"We all might like to think differently, but (the NFL) is clearly at the forefront," says USC coach Steve Sarkisian.

Now maybe it's time to act that way.

Instead of feigning surprise when an elite recruit publicly questions his choice of schools after a coach takes another job before the ink is dry on National Signing Day, maybe the NCAA should take steps to fix the broken process.

Since we're already knee-deep into seismic change within the process of the NCAA governing big time college football (see: fox, meet henhouse), why not capitulate completely? Only this time, considering the changing landscape of the sport and how the NCAA has been forced to become increasingly player-friendly, this move would actually make sense.

If a player signs with a team and the coach (assistant or head coach) who recruited him leaves by choice for another job within 30 days of National Signing Day, the player is automatically released from his scholarship and can sign with any team if he chooses.

That will eliminate the nonsense of waiting until after NSD to announce staff changes. That will prevent Ohio State, Florida, LSU and Miami (and a few other Power 5 teams) from signing players last week then revealing days (or hours) after that their position coach has decided to leave for the NFL.

That will put an end to cases like Mike Weber , an elite recruit from Detroit who got kicked in the gut by the process when Ohio State running backs coach Stan Drayton left for the NFL less than 24 hours after NSD. Weber went public on Twitter to express his feelings about the coach he trusted, the coach he wanted to play for at Ohio State - and how he felt betrayed.

This is news because it's Ohio State; because the Buckeyes are the defending national champions and because coach Urban Meyer - how can we say this? - coincidentally had the exact same thing happen a year after he won his first national title at Florida.

Then Gators co-defensive coordinator Greg Mattison waited until after signing day to announce he was leaving for the NFL's Ravens - and leaving the then linchpin of the Gators' class, 5-star defensive tackle Omar Hunter, whom he personally recruited.

SABAN VS. CALIPARI: Which coach builds it better?

Just because it happens all the time - elite 5-star recruits Tyron Johnson (LSU) and CeCe Jefferson (Florida) also had their recruiters/position coaches leave last week after NSD - doesn't mean it's right. Besides, it's not like change would damage the amateur ideal.

By agreeing to pay players an additional stipend (the NCAA calls it "full cost of attendance"); by eventually allowing players to market their name and likeness and putting the money in a savings account until they leave school (that's happening next), the NCAA has all but publicly admitted football is a separate entity of the educational process.

This reality happened long ago, long before we ever heard of Ed O'Bannon's desire to humiliate himself on the witness stand or Johnny Manziel selling his signature for money (North Carolina academic fraud investigation.

By ignoring this NSD issue that must be addressed; by continuing to prevent players from transferring without the threat of sitting out a season when the head coach they chose to play for can leave for another job without ramifications, the NCAA has been practicing a form of roster control for decades.

In the NFL, they call this the franchise tag. Of one player.

In college football, all 85 players are tagged from the moment they sign their national letter of intent.

You might be living in a Pollyanna world if you think that's fair.

Why would the only players affected be the ones who just signed? Wouldn't a redshirting freshman be similarly affected by the coach's decision to depart? For most FBS programs, that probably adds another 15 kids to the "release" list.

Now, you're talking about a MAJOR impact...

Originally posted by zipp:
Why would the only players affected be the ones who just signed? Wouldn't a redshirting freshman be similarly affected by the coach's decision to depart? For most FBS programs, that probably adds another 15 kids to the "release" list.

Now, you're talking about a MAJOR impact...
I don't know if its reason enough to make a difference, but a RS Fr has already enrolled at a school while a kid who signs in Feb has not.

I think the 30 day grace period would work in most cases and if the coaches were honest with the kid up front about there being a possibility of him leaving he might not change anyway. But Meyer has always been this way, Mora at UCLA was pulling the same think on a kid UGA was recruiting but he didn't send in his LOI and was free to reevaluate his decision. But with the salaries of coaches spiraling in the direction they are going now and with teams having to win RIGHT NOW, coaches moving around is probably going to increase and this issue will increase, we need that grace period.

What happened to the National Letter of Intent (LOI)?

Did I not read that if a kid kid does not sign it he can renege at any time? And according to what I read, they don't HAVE to sign an LOI. This is where the school "gets" them.

IOW, a kid signs a Grant In Aid to attend State U in Feb, but in June the SU coach gets, fired, goes elsewhere, etc,. the kid says I'm outta here, and there is no penalty? As long as he hasn't started classes?

Maybe I dreamed this, but if I didn't, why would people not be schooling these "star" players to not sign the LOI, effectively "keeping their options open" until the very last minute, which is what they all seem to want to do anyway?

I'm sorry ... I don't feel bad for these kids.

Congratulations -- you just got lesson number 1 of "You Play A Sport That Is Big Business". A cheap lesson to learn, and good to learn in your first 24 hours of being a "student" athlete.

Kids that sign with programs like Ohio State probably ASSUME they will go on to the NFL someday. Consider this type of situation your first taste of your main class in college "Football Business 101".

Any of these kids are getting TONS of advantages by being a high D-1 student athlete.

I stopped weeping for them a long time ago.

Originally posted by Rollem Cards:
What happened to the National Letter of Intent (LOI)?

Did I not read that if a kid kid does not sign it he can renege at any time? And according to what I read, they don't HAVE to sign an LOI. This is where the school "gets" them.

IOW, a kid signs a Grant In Aid to attend State U in Feb, but in June the SU coach gets, fired, goes elsewhere, etc,. the kid says I'm outta here, and there is no penalty? As long as he hasn't started classes?

Maybe I dreamed this, but if I didn't, why would people not be schooling these "star" players to not sign the LOI, effectively "keeping their options open" until the very last minute, which is what they all seem to want to do anyway?
I believe you are correct about foregoing signing a LOI in favor of signing financial aid papers.

Some big time recruits do go this route. I think it's a smart move for the athlete. Brandon Knight came to UK using this option.

However, it can be dicey for the schools if it becomes a tend. It's my understanding that the recruit can sign those financial aid papers with as many schools as they wish, with the first school they sign with getting some sort of advantage in contacting the recruit over the other schools. NSD is great exposure for the recruit, and I assume that's why most do sign LOI, but it's also great for the schools, as they pretty much know who is going to be in their incoming class. Can you imagine the stress for coaches, and the spectacle fans would create if teams didn't know who was going to make up each class until school started?

Make it so thst anytime in the first year of attendance a player can transfer without sitting out if the head coach or his position coach leaves.

Originally posted by Grumpyolddawg:

I don't know if its reason enough to make a difference, but a RS Fr has already enrolled at a school while a kid who signs in Feb has not.

I think the 30 day grace period would work in most cases and if the coaches were honest with the kid up front about there being a possibility of him leaving he might not change anyway. But Meyer has always been this way, Mora at UCLA was pulling the same think on a kid UGA was recruiting but he didn't send in his LOI and was free to reevaluate his decision. But with the salaries of coaches spiraling in the direction they are going now and with teams having to win RIGHT NOW, coaches moving around is probably going to increase and this issue will increase, we need that grace period.
Interesting that this is a topic you weigh in on here, but on the UK board you choose to start a thread about one of OUR players. Why would one of YOUR former players be of interest to UK fans, but not UofL fans?

Shaq Wiggins the CB that left UGA to follow Grantham to UofL and sat out the 14 season was told to leave the practice field today by Petrino. To Shaq's credit he isn't or wasn't a criminal, he is just mouthy and not willing to accept coaching.

UK fans might find this interesting.

Originally posted by Steelers2012:
Originally posted by Grumpyolddawg:

Interesting that this is a topic you weigh in on here, but on the UK board you choose to start a thread about one of OUR players. Why would one of YOUR former players be of interest to UK fans, but not UofL fans?

Shaq Wiggins the CB that left UGA to follow Grantham to UofL and sat out the 14 season was told to leave the practice field today by Petrino. To Shaq's credit he isn't or wasn't a criminal, he is just mouthy and not willing to accept coaching.
Elitist GA fans. Dont you know Shaq is THE VERY FIRST PLAYER EVER............TO BE THROWN OUT OF PRACTICE.

More importantly, where is this event (Wiggins being told to leave) confirmed by anyone other than a UGA fan with a weird obsession with Louisville football? I don't see it mentioned on this site as premium content, or WDRB, or the CJ website. Looks like an unconfirmed, unsubstantiated rumor to me.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

So I found mention of this "incident" on Demling's site. Nothing more than Petrino being Petrino, sending a message on who is in charge.

What's even more interesting, is a Georgia fan scanning two Louisville fan sites for anything negative to share with UK fans. I have news for you buddy, in no interpretation of sanity is that considered normal. You might want to talk to someone about getting some happy pills before you end up serving a little time for poisoning trees or something else stupid.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT