ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Pitino and the program moving forward....

Matt_Willinger

Jul 19, 2002
I've read every thread on this board and took 3 hours of angry calls this morning on the Early Birds.

I do agree that some fans are spoiled by the Cards' success. All the winning the past 3 years will do that to a fan base. But ask yourself honestly, how good did you think this team would be?

With a new conference and losing Russ & Luke, I figured this would be a Top 20 team with 8-10 losses and a chance to make the Sweet 16, maybe the Elite 8. Well, we have 5 games left and we're right about where I projected / hoped we would be at the start of the year.

The comparisons to Denny Crum or saying Pitino has "lost it" is absolutely ridiculous. The guy is as hungry as ever. Denny lost the fire in his belly. Rick has not. And be careful what you wish for because coaches that are in the Hall of Fame with multiple National Championships and No. 6 in wins don't just fall off the truck on the Belknap Campus. We've been so lucky to have Crum and Pitino for the last 44 years. We may not feel so lucky when the next guys shows up.

My only gripe with Pitino (and this has been an issue since his arrival) is his roster management. I always get the feeling that we're forced to do more with less because of the revolving door of players. How many times over the past few years have you found yourself saying "what if we still had _________". But that guy is not with the program any more and most cases its not because he's in the NBA. We lost Garcia, Clark, Samuels and Dieng (and soon Trezl and Terry) to early NBA waters. Every one else has been shown the door or wanted out.

If we're going to be a "system" program, then we have to keep guys in the "system". You can't have the revolving door of guys we've had and you all know the names. From Prileau Davis and Bryan Harvey, to Lorenzo Wade and Chad Millard, to Johnathan Huffman and Rakeem Buckles on down to recent years of Terrence Jennings and Akoy Agau. Hell, Russ Smith had one foot out the door before or he could've been a "what if".

This current team alone should have a senior class that includes Kevin Ware, Angel Nunez, Zach Price and Chane Behanan. You're telling me we couldn't use those guys this year? Instead, our senior class includes "Big Game" Wayne.

Now, its late February and we're hearing the coach talk more about certain guys not being with the team next year, while at the same time we're out looking for two 5th year transfers.

I just feel that we're always scrambling to fill the roster or taking risks on guys like McMahon (last week), Mangok and Stockman. Everyone knows Rick Pitino can coach. I wouldn't trade him for any one. But just imagine if he had a full roster of players who really buy into the system with great attitudes and work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News