ADVERTISEMENT

The Super Regional. Mr.Obvious alert- it's going to be difficult.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I just spent half the morning reviewing ECU's season. They are good. Very good. They've got an ace lefty, as well as some other capable southpaws. The Cards are struggling against left handed pitchers. We both had common opponents (Duke, UNC, NCST, Ole Miss, UCONN, and UC.) ECU went 10-1 against those opponents, swept UCONN. Louisville did equally as well against those same opponents, 10-2. They have a bit more power than us, but that's not saying much. A lot of teams have more power than the Cards. ECU is kind of on a roll right now, too. Like UofL, they won their regional from the loser's bracket. But, unlike UofL, they scored huge amounts of runs while doing so. Their last four games they outscored their opponents 44-11. I'd say moving on to the CWS is 50/50. Prepare for a battle.

If I’m not mistaken there were 4 of the Top 10 Regional seeds came out of the losers bracket to win 3 straight and advance to the Super Regionals.

Along with the Cards, UCLA, Stanford and ECU did. I would think that’s got to be a record having 1/4 of the Regional champs coming from the losers bracket.

Reactions: Deeva and PushupMan
Prepare for a battle.
Man,no doubt.
I think the scouting report is out and has been for a minute. Get ahead in the count,then throw those nasty sliders and sinkers that start in the bottom of the zone but dive just outside of it. These guys know what's coming and the best one might be the first one. Take that pitch and you have to be super disciplined leaving those low ones alone.

Reactions: Deeva
Interesting fact, no overall No.1 seed has won the CWS since 1999. Also a fact, on average 2 National seeds fail to make it out of Super Regionals and typically only 4-5 National seeds make it to Omaha..

It's pretty remarkable how similar UofL and ECU are this season. These are regular season stats:

Record: UofL 43-15, ECU 43-15
RPI: UofL 9, ECU 5
Ranking: UofL 11, ECU 10 (D1Baseball)
UofL 14, ECU 25 (USA Today)
Team ERA: UofL 3.70, ECU 3.70
Batting Avg. UofL .292, ECU .294
Fielding %: UofL .978, ECU .976
On Base % UofL .391, ECU .390
Hits: UofL 594, ECU 572
SLG %: UofL .440, ECU .451

Then we start to see a little separation by both teams.

Stolen bases: UofL 97, ECU 46
Sac. Bunts: UofL 18, ECU 66 (led the nation)
Runs: UofL 443, ECU 386
Home Runs: UofL 48, ECU 62

It's going to be interesting.

Kudos to Louisville fans for recognizing an outstanding East Carolina team.

If this were a UK baseball thread it would be full of ignorant comments about how they play in an inferior conference, record is inflated, blah blah blah....

Nevermind, I forgot it’s a Super Regional, so there would never be such a thread on a UK Baseball forum. Carry on.

After having great weather for the 3 day Regional, tomorrow could be ugly depending on which forecast you believe and Saturday-Sunday looks iffy too.

It’s raining here. Does anyone know if schedule has been revised due to weather concerns? Thanks!
Seems to be on schedule so far. The weather channel app says just cloudy until this evening but who knows. It actually looks worse for tomorrow and Sunday from what I saw on their forecast.

How bout the fellas keep them going on into the rest of the season.
Great to see our vets getting in on the fun. We need them to finish their careers with a bang.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I really thought Cards would get beat in a best 2 of 3 series by a team with two effective lefty starters. I love being completely wrong when I doubt UofL.

Yep, was totally expecting a grinder type of series. Fun to watch them dominate.

Reactions: Deeva
I literally went to the bathroom when I came back the game was over today.
Reminded me of the first half of the NC State-Louisville football game in 2016 when the Cards were up 44-0 at half and Wolfpack fans were leaving in droves.

I wished a few of them to have “a safe trip back”. They didn’t appreciate my sentiment.:mad::cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT