ADVERTISEMENT

The Reason Onuaku Struggled With Free Throws

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Teammates laughed when Chinanu Onuaku started practicing under-handed free throws. The University of Louisville sophomore's hoping to get the last one with his new form.

"I didn't really care, because I knew what I was trying to get accomplished," Onuaku said Wednesday.

Onuaku, who made just 46.7 percent of his free throws as a freshman last season at U of L, experimented with a new stroke on his way to winning a gold medal earlier this summer with the United States' FIBA U19 World Championship team.But with "a softer shot," and one where Onuaku "feels like I'm putting the ball in the basket," he improved to make 60 percent of chances from the line in the tournament, including 2 of 4 the first game he gave them a try.

Though Onuaku's obstacle in a traditional free throw shot isn't the size of his hands.

"It's just my wrist and my elbow, they kind of wedge, so my elbow doesn't go in like everybody else's," he said. "It just makes my shooting form weird."

Last edited:
IDC if he shoots them over his head standing with his back to the rim as long as they go in at a nice percentage rate. He's probably going to get a ton of looks from the line. He needs to take advantage.

IDC if he shoots them over his head standing with his back to the rim as long as they go in at a nice percentage rate. He's probably going to get a ton of looks from the line. He needs to take advantage.

I agree. I don't care how he shoots them as long as his percentage improves. I also didn't know he had an actual physical limitation- his wrist and elbow wedging- that prevented him from tucking his elbow in when shooting.

I agree. I don't care how he shoots them as long as his percentage improves. I also didn't know he had an actual physical limitation- his wrist and elbow wedging- that prevented him from tucking his elbow in when shooting.

Yeah I didn't know about that either. That's weird. I wonder if he had some type of injury to cause that?

Pretty sure it's a defect.......I am glad that he is comfortable to do this for the "team". CRP said last season that they were going to look at this form, but he was the kind of person that it would not bother. Go on Nanu.....our season is all up to the bigs!!!

Whatever works for him because like you say he's going to be at the line a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT