ADVERTISEMENT

The MYTH that UK is "closer" to U of L after last year's game

Catfanlondon, you have a selective memory. I guess you forgot about early in the first quarter when Burgess dropped a sure pick6 that would've sucked all the life out of UKy's early momentum. But hey, shortly after that, leading 3-0, Towles threw a beauty to a wide open receiver that couldn't make the catch. None of that matters because the plays weren't made.

Louisville won the game because Louisville had the better team, and far and away the better coaching staff.

Last year's game was close because UKy got away with personal foul after personal foul that went unflagged. Like driving Dyer, and the constant contact and late hits on Devante (even on his first TD catch). Football is a game of intensity and focus. I imagine the Cards had trouble when they see play after play of KY getting away with this nonsense.

The gap has not closed. It's drifting further apart. Kentucky is still coached by Stoops; Louisville still has Petrino.

That said, upsets can happen. UKy could surprise the Cards in one game if the ball bounces their way. But I wouldn't count on getting away with those shenanigans again. And this year, the Cats won't have an extra week to prepare.
I never like playing the "What if" game. The final score is all that matters. UK fans talk about this game as though it's still the first game. So many things are going to change by the time game 12 comes around. And that shinny refurbished stadium, home field has never really mattered in this rivalry.

If losing close games means uk is "closing the gap", then shouldn't they have won the SEC by now...? I've seen them get beat in every way imaginable, too every team in the conference, for decades. Some years ate closet than others, but never have I seen them actually CLOSE the gap...

If losing close games means uk is "closing the gap", then shouldn't they have won the SEC by now...? I've seen them get beat in every way imaginable, too every team in the conference, for decades. Some years ate closet than others, but never have I seen them actually CLOSE the gap...
That is why they obsess on Louisville football.

It seems that it's the same talk every off season from the cat fans. We're bigger,
stronger, and faster. With a state of the art training, conditioning and nutrition program.
We have more depth and better recruits coming in. When will that translate to
wins and bowl games? As a friend of mine dad told me, "I've been waiting for next
year for the last 50 years." He also said that he has reached the end of his optimism,
if his beloved cats don't make a bowl game this year, he will be giving up his long
run of being a season ticket holder.
GO CARDS!!

And don't forget...UK has the Meat Grinder Schedule that is the OVER-RATED (Mississippi State, South Carolina, Texas A&M etc...) SEC!!!

:rolleyes:

This isn't meant to be a flame or baiting post because that UL team was still a lot better than we were but no team from a non-power 5 conference deserves a title shot ever in my opinion. I've never been a fan of rewarding a perfect run through a bad schedule with the game's biggest prize. I thought the Orange bowl was the right reward for that team win or lose vs Rutgers. Now if he can pull off an 11-1 season in the ACC UL deserves to be in the playoff

That's where you're full of $#!t DUMB---...Louisville beat #3 West Virginia and lost to a Top 10 Rutgers...and Cincy was Top 25...TWO Loss LSU had ZERO Business playing for a Title...And YES, Louisville would have KICKED Ohio States @$$ too!!!

:mad:

Louisville was a member of a BCS conference, the Big East, in 2006. We were ranked third, behind Ohio State and Michigan, going into the Rutgers game. We were at number 12 Rutgers, with Ray Rice, and Ohio State and Michigan still had to play each other. Win, and we were in. We just didn't get it done.

Louisville was a member of a BCS conference, the Big East, in 2006. We were ranked third, behind Ohio State and Michigan, going into the Rutgers game. We were at number 12 Rutgers, with Ray Rice, and Ohio State and Michigan still had to play each other. Win, and we were in. We just didn't get it done.

The following year it was WVU...They beat Pitt at Home that final weekend they were in....Shady McCoy went off for the Panthers in that game.

So very true. I am not sure if it's culture, karma, or just plain snake bit and cursed.

Beating Louisville has become the fallback prayer for a program whose incompetence has taken on legendary status among their own conference. The degree of failure is obviously unconscionable to the arrogance supplied by their concept of hoops rulership of the galaxy, which makes this epic fail all the more glaring. And it makes Louisville an even more prime target. The degree of their interest is now a cloying whine about the unfairness of Louisville's status as a football program. Repeat this theme, wash, rinse, repeat again and you have the UK perspective on the sport. Futility is thy name.

Beating Louisville has become the fallback prayer for a program whose incompetence has taken on legendary status among their own conference. The degree of failure is obviously unconscionable to the arrogance supplied by their concept of hoops rulership of the galaxy, which makes this epic fail all the more glaring. And it makes Louisville an even more prime target. The degree of their interest is now a cloying whine about the unfairness of Louisville's status as a football program. Repeat this theme, wash, rinse, repeat again and you have the UK perspective on the sport. Futility is thy name.

I figured UK just wants to win at football too. I know as a UK fan that's what I want to see.
Part of being that is beating Louisville, and since we share the same State we're natural rivals.
As I posted earlier UK is getting there by building quality depth, which is one key factor, not the only one, but a big one.

The correlation between good recruiting and performance on the field is not exact. There are way too many examples otherwise. One doesn't beget or preclude the other. LPT fans usually fail to understand that.

And LPT will always lag U of L because it subordinates football to basketball unlike U of L. That will never change, and LPT football will suffer as a result.

LPT Football: At least we're ahead of riflery...

I didn't say better recruits guarantee better play on the field, but it helps a whole lot.
I like the direction up till this point Stoops has made. That doesn't mean he'll get UK over the hump, but they're trending upward.
The administration has shown that it's going to put financial weight behind football now. That is a promising step that has been handled poorly up until recently, I'm excited for UK's future on the grid iron.

I didn't say better recruits guarantee better play on the field, but it helps a whole lot.
I like the direction up till this point Stoops has made. That doesn't mean he'll get UK over the hump, but they're trending upward.
The administration has shown that it's going to put financial weight behind football now. That is a promising step that has been handled poorly up until recently, I'm excited for UK's future on the grid iron.
You should be. The table is set differently for the first time for UK fans. We'll see if Stoops is actually up to the challenge. History is not on your side.

As bad as this LPT team is, I assume you have a lifetime winning record against them?

You got them on campus...now comes the "Real Test" if they fit the System Stoops is going to run...if they are coachable and if you evaluated the talent correctly...That is something many in your fanbase fails to realize.

You're absolutely right, and I can't answer that. All I have now is the expectation they will be.
I'm not saying UK is going to win the SEC or go to a New Years Day bowl. I'm excited in the direction it's headed now. It's slowly getting momentum, You guys know Football isn't a quick turnaround.
Who is Louisville going to start at QB?

As bad as this LPT team is, I assume you have a lifetime winning record against them?

You do know that sUcKs first six wins in the series were against a gym team Louisville put together...NOT an Official Team like sUcK had...And that the first 10+ games were all played at sUcK...Correct!?!?!?

In the MODERN Series...You do UNDERSTAND what MODERN Means...Correct...Louisville leads 13-8...Thus, sUcK has beaten an OFFICIAL Louisville Football Team...NOT a Gym Team...Eight times, while Louisville has BEATEN an OFFICIAL sUcK Team 13 Times...You do UNDERSTAND that...CORRECT...I HIGHLY Doubt it!!!

o_O

Reactions: atiba
You're absolutely right, and I can't answer that. All I have now is the expectation they will be.
I'm not saying UK is going to win the SEC or go to a New Years Day bowl. I'm excited in the direction it's headed now. It's slowly getting momentum, You guys know Football isn't a quick turnaround.
Who is Louisville going to start at QB?

My guess is Bonnefon

Petrino has historically wiped his a$$ with the LPT football program. I kinda like U of L's chances for the foreseeable future regardless of what LPT tries to accomplish.

LPT Football: High priced toilet paper...

Yeah on that long thread over there one of their fans said they went to the PJCS debut game and their wife asked them if they were at a football game or an Eminem concert. He said he remembers it like it was yesterday. Problem is that game was in September 1998 and Eminem's first hit and CD did not debut until 1999.

Don't always believe stories you hear on the Internet. Anyone can make up anything.

Petrino has historically wiped his a$$ with the LPT football program. I kinda like U of L's chances for the foreseeable future regardless of what LPT tries to accomplish.

LPT Football: High priced toilet paper...

You're right, Petrino has owned UK. And he's a fantastic coach.
I hope UK can get to Louisvilles level, I believe we're heading in the right direction, but only time will tell.

Yeah on that long thread over there one of their fans said they went to the PJCS debut game and their wife asked them if they were at a football game or an Eminem concert. He said he remembers it like it was yesterday. Problem is that game was in September 1998 and Eminem's first hit and CD did not debut until 1999.

Don't always believe stories you hear on the Internet. Anyone can make up anything.

In that initial PJCS game UK scored like it was a video game gone wild. It was a very impressive offensive display, no doubt about it. The thing i remember though, is that UofL reversed that 68-34 score the very next year to the tune of 56-28. That's a 62 point swing just one season later.

I had glossed over that post...it was hilarious...

In that initial PJCS game UK scored like it was a video game gone wild. It was a very impressive offensive display, no doubt about it...
It's always impressive when you can play by a lot looser rules than everyone else.

LPT Football: We conveniently forget about the flipside of NCAA probation...

Looking at rankings from Total Offense and Total Defense the last 5 years. UK is certainly "Trending up". Of course when it comes to rankings you would prefer to trend down to a lower ranking.
KEziuQ97x6uBUNdM3wBR1-391VhlF5wYbBv8DlYMNsI=w711-h245-no

Looking at Total, Offensive and Defensive Efficiency Rankings there has been improvement but moving from 100+ in the rankings to the 70-80 range is hardly reason to jump up and down. I only used the last 3 years for this so we could see Jokers last year vs. Stoops first 2 since Joker is blamed so much.
Source: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

x5X9T9c7P_QYBUQVObwkkegQBGfSFDZLYZLnzF6Lk0g=w719-h236-no

Speaking of Joker, does anyone remember when he was named head Coach, we were informed that he was killing us in recruiting. Now it has been explained that he left the cupboard bare. Talk about revisionist.

It's a fact that Joker's recruiting classes were the best ever landed by LPT up until that point. In fact, Joker was widely praised by LPT fans FOR his recruiting--until the bloom was off the rose. Then, he magically morphed into dog food.

According to Rivals, Joker's last three recruiting classes aren't that far behind Stupes' classes. Another fact that they like to conveniently ignore.

LPT Football: We hate facts...

It's a fact that Joker's recruiting classes were the best ever landed by LPT up until that point. In fact, Joker was widely praised by LPT fans FOR his recruiting--until the bloom was off the rose. Then, he magically morphed into dog food.

According to Rivals, Joker's last three recruiting classes aren't that far behind Stupes' classes. Another fact that they like to conveniently ignore.

LPT Football: We hate facts...

It's not just the class rankings (which none of them were ranked as high as Stoops), but also the attrition suffered under his watch. I've posted the numbers here already. But, carry on...

Attrition is typically a result of program instability, UK has mastered that over the years. The latest being a new OC after one year, of course he is way better than that, what's his face, "Air Raid" guy.
Regarding improvement and looking at Stoops progress. Stoops Defensive statistics are trending the wrong way. Yet I continuously hear about what a great defensive mind he is. What am I missing?

Attrition is typically a result of program instability, UK has mastered that over the years. The latest being a new OC after one year, of course he is way better than that, what's his face, "Air Raid" guy.
Regarding improvement and looking at Stoops progress. Stoops Defensive statistics are trending the wrong way. Yet I continuously hear about what a great defensive mind he is. What am I missing?

I've already listed the attrition itt. And, as far as I'm aware, UK didn't lose a player due to Brown leaving.

I'm not going to rehash the details of UK's struggles fixing the roster since Stoops arrived. It's in this thread and others. But, everywhere he's been as a DC his teams have had a major improvement in year three. We'll see if that trend continues with him as HC.

Looking at rankings from Total Offense and Total Defense the last 5 years. UK is certainly "Trending up". Of course when it comes to rankings you would prefer to trend down to a lower ranking.
KEziuQ97x6uBUNdM3wBR1-391VhlF5wYbBv8DlYMNsI=w711-h245-no

Looking at Total, Offensive and Defensive Efficiency Rankings there has been improvement but moving from 100+ in the rankings to the 70-80 range is hardly reason to jump up and down. I only used the last 3 years for this so we could see Jokers last year vs. Stoops first 2 since Joker is blamed so much.
Source: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

x5X9T9c7P_QYBUQVObwkkegQBGfSFDZLYZLnzF6Lk0g=w719-h236-no

Speaking of Joker, does anyone remember when he was named head Coach, we were informed that he was killing us in recruiting. Now it has been explained that he left the cupboard bare. Talk about revisionist.

Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting site. Something jumped out at me when looking at the chart presented after they list all their definitions. According to their FEI and FBS MW UK should have expected to win 3.3 games last year. Hmm...

Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting site. Something jumped out at me when looking at the chart presented after they list all their definitions. According to their FEI and FBS MW UK should have expected to win 3.3 games last year. Hmm...

Can't believe Stoops wasn't named SEC COY. You didn't lose to Ohio or Vandy so yeah I guess that's the "improvement" you all are crowing so much about. Thing is, it's this same song and dance EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

IIRC, LPT never had an attrition issue WHILE Joker was there. Stupes ran off a lot of his predecessor's guys.

Kinda like when Krags came in behind Petrino the first time. We were led to believe that was Petrino's fault.

If I have to spell it out for ya, that's not a promising analogy for LPT.

LPT Football: Crazy the way that stuff works...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT