ADVERTISEMENT

The MYTH that UK is "closer" to U of L after last year's game

It's possible UK may have peaked under Stoops last year. The SEC East isn't going to stay down forever. Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and SC are trying too hard to win big time, and Missouri is going to be solid until they change coaches. Louisville isn't going into the tank under Petrino, either.

UK only seems to do well when the teams around them get worse. I just feel like in 2-3 years, the SEC East is going to be much tougher than it was last year, and UK could only win twice against the worst SEC East I can remember.

I think that world where Brooks and Joker went to multiple bowls no longer exists for UK. The road to 6 wins just seems impossible, unless Stoops turns out to be some kind of superstar. And so far he hasn't shown signs of greatness.

I don't think they peaked, but I also think the east will get tougher, soon.

UK is adding too much depth at key places, like the line to have peaked last year in my opinion. Good depth.
I'm not sold on Towles though, as I've written here and on Catsillustrated the kid has the physical attributes, but he's got to put it together between the ears, and maybe he will.
He did next to nothing other than the MSU game after the Florida game. He locked on receivers and was too quick to run. I know the o line wasn't the best, but at some point a qb has to make plays. Just my opinion.

I think Louisville and UK will have some competitive games in the near future. And that's going to help football in the state a lot. At least I hope it does.

Why would Louisville fans feel the need to have the approval of uk fans watson?

We are highly respected by fans of Fsu,Miami,Clemson,Florida,ND. Uk doesn't fit in the same sentence as those teams mentioned so therefore their approval means NOTHING.
I didn't say we needed UK fans approval. Reading their message boards, I hear the same kind of comments about our program as we give theirs. The only difference is their glasses are blue and ours are red.

Stoops is One and Seventeen against the top 100 ranked teams. His lone win was against 7-6 South Carolina, running the "Wildcat" offense, unable to stop the run, and given a gift by one of the worst coaching jobs in Steve Spurriers career. They lost six straight to end Stoops second year. The lone highlight was a close loss to rival Louisville, who was clearly flat after a huge win at Notre Dame. Still, Sagarin's moved them up more than 50 spots, from 103 in 2013 to 49 in 2014. Maybe they are closing the gap.

The other difference is their program has no reason to talk smack about anyone and I mean ANYONE. We, on the other hand, are a solid top 20 type program. They are right now the 3rd best team in the state.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
They finished poorly no doubt about that.
And I'm putting faith in the fact that the young players brought in have gotten better through redshirts and experience.

I think it was a little more than "finishing poorly." How about an epic collapse the likes of which are rarely seen in college football.

The funny thing is, the only thing that kept them from ending the year with equally bad losing streaks three years in a row was they happened to schedule one of their easy OOC games late in the year the other 2 years.

That's UK football in a nutshell...

Yep they beat winless Miami Ohio in the second game and then a dreadful Alabama St. from the SWAC late in the year.

...UK only seems to do well when the teams around them get worse...
Mike nails it here... The SEC East is as poor overall as it has been in years. Yet, Vandy and LPT simply play leapfrog each year for 6th and 7th places in their division.

And it's no coincidence that Pappaw Brooks eked out bowl games during the K-rag years. As soon as order in the universe was restored--and U of L started clocking LPT again--there went the bowl games.

LPT Football: We look our best when the other team sucks...

Agree with this ...

And, as far as I can tell, he hasn't given one concrete piece of evidence, to dispell the title of this thread ... that LPT has, in fact, closed the gap with Louisville. Zero. Zip. Nada. 12 pages long. And not one thing to stand on.

LPT is LPT. At best a middle of the road football program, in a conference that cares waaaaaay more about football than they do, and allows them to suckle upon the teet that is football bowl monies, because ... I guess ... even good conferences need a homecoming opponent.

I think you guys have it wrong...for Bill or any UK fan to confess that there is a gap is a demonstration that therapy can work.

Ipartied, You know better than that.

Anyone that has paid any attention to UK football can see Stoops is bringing in better talent especially linemen. Which as I've said several times is where most college games are won and lost. If you want to ignore or deny it that's ok, but it doesn't change the fact it's happening at UK.

Bill, with all due respect you've stood up pretty well in this thread. I've just seen this "talent gap" thread cycle for the better part of seventeen years on the internet and it continues to be a gulf in perception between our fanbases. The Kentucky fanbase simply cannot maintain this delusion of saying they are bridging talent by forwarding redshirt sophomores who were four stars in WhereversVille, USA as being a demonstrated and tangible evidence of talent vs. a kid who is going to have his name called in one of the next two NFL Drafts. The front seven for Louisville is abundant in kids who are going to hear their names called by the Commissioner in the next two seasons. Rankins and Burgess could have gone hardship after their junior seasons as a 3-4 DE and a LB; Deangelo Brown may well go hardship after this season as a NG and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelsey do the same at a Mike. If they aren't hitting the field and more importantly, excelling on it, and the players in the other jersies are...then you have to start questioning the ability of a coaching staff to truly evaluate and properly deploy the talent. I think the disconnect is that there may or may not be a talent gap, but it's fair to say that there is a demonstrated developmental gap between the last two staffs at Louisville and the one currently at Kentucky.

Kentucky has beaten us by my count on at least twenty players in the last two recruiting classes, but to this point...not many of those guys have left us questioning our own staff's ability to put people in and through to the next level. Kentucky seems to be building depth at a number of positions (frankly I'd kill to have their last two classes of O linemen)...but you are still MULTIPLE recruiting classes behind in defensive talent depth and that is a lengthy and cruel process.

The team at the top of that list--Auburn--with the most attrition in the SEC won the national championship two years later (2010). IOW, the point in time where Stupes is today. Is that the impact you were trying to show?

What I'm harping on is that LPT didn't have an extraordinary level of attrition during or immediately after Joker was canned. Anymore than U of L did during Petrino's tenure. AND there was no effect on performance attributable to attrition in either case. Just poor coaching in the aftermath.

Unless you're complaining because you didn't win a national championship.

LPT Football: Usually getting ish backwards...

Auburn had attrition, but picked up an amazing crop of talent, including one of the most dynamic college qbs ever in Cam Newton, 5 other draft picks, as well as BCS National Championship MVP Dyer. That was a point I already addressed earlier ITT. UK loses players from their recruiting classes and they have to go down even further in the level of recruits when compared to their competition. Auburn suffers attrition and lands Cam Newton.

I've given the numbers showing the high level of attrition UK went through from the 09-12 classes. 60 players in 4 years, or 15 a class average. You say Petrino suffered the same high levels of attrition his first stint at UofL, but I don't see any evidence.

Ipartied, You know better than that.

Anyone that has paid any attention to UK football can see Stoops is bringing in better talent especially linemen. Which as I've said several times is where most college games are won and lost. If you want to ignore or deny it that's ok, but it doesn't change the fact it's happening at UK.

The kickback you are seeing in this thread is posters feel insulted that many UK fans seem to be putting these programs close to on par w/ one another, when the accomplishments of Louisville really do get discredited and understated.

UofL smacks the tar out of FLA in the Sugar Bowl a couple years ago - like literally a couple. UofL does something UK has not done in their last what, 30 tries?

UofL finished in the polls, with wins against 3 other bowl teams. And we hear that UK, who lost their last 6 and missed a bowl, are closing the gap. That's offensive to some people.

You're trying to get into a head of the UofL fan, and you are thinking you're smelling fear and concern, because you like that concept.

What people are really doing is venting because UK has been a dormat for decades not standing a couple outliers, and UK fans are pointing to things that aren't final scores - things like "direction", "recruiting", "brand" - whatever it is.

Hey do you recall all the smack Neal Brown lovers used to say around here? I do. We were told Brown was bringing a system that UofL would not be able to stop. Air Raid! Air Raid! Air Raid! What did he accomplish? Nothing.

It's a matter of taking credit for something that hasn't happened, but something that's allegedly "gonna happen" - and these are things that have been heard for.... years.

Louisville has finished a season ranked in the polls 6 of the last 11 seasons. UK hasn't finished a season ranked since 1984. But the programs are getting closer to one another because of yahtzee.

Ok.

Last edited:
The kickback you are seeing in this thread is posters feel insulted that many UK fans seem to be putting these programs close to on par w/ one another, when the accomplishments of Louisville really do get discredited and understated.

UofL smacks the tar out of FLA in the Sugar Bowl a couple years ago - like literally a couple. UofL does something UK has not done in their last what, 30 tries?

UofL finished in the polls, with wins against 3 other bowl teams. And we hear that UK, who lost their last 6 and missed a bowl, are closing the gap. That's offensive to some people.

You're trying to get into a head of the UofL fan, and you are thinking you're smelling fear and concern, because you like that concept.

What people are really doing is venting because UK has been a dormat for decades not standing a couple outliers, and UK fans are pointing to things that aren't final scores - things like "direction", "recruiting", "brand" - whatever it is.

Hey do you recall all the smack Neal Brown lovers used to say around here? I do. We were told Brown was bringing a system that UofL would not be able to stop. Air Raid! Air Raid! Air Raid! What did he accomplish? Nothing.

It's a matter of taking credit for something that hasn't happened, but something that's allegedly "gonna happen" - and these are things that have been heard for.... years.

Louisville has finished a season ranked in the polls 6 of the last 11 seasons. UK hasn't finished a season ranked since 1984. But the programs are getting closer to one another because of yahtzee.

Ok.

Excellent take.

I wonder if Bill or any UK fan will be able to see this, or if they are too blinded by their own biases.

I didn't say we needed UK fans approval. Reading their message boards, I hear the same kind of comments about our program as we give theirs. The only difference is their glasses are blue and ours are red.

So you believe that the programs are mirrors of each other? The only time UK has been able to go bowling was when we had Kragthorpe or they were about to get caught cheating...and don't lump our fanbase with their's please.

Reactions: American Male
...You say Petrino suffered the same high levels of attrition his first stint at UofL, but I don't see any evidence.
Maybe you need to ask the guys who believe that, which is what I said. Just as out of touch as LPT fans who believe that Joker had that issue.

LPT Football: It sounds good...

Auburn had attrition, but picked up an amazing crop of talent, including one of the most dynamic college qbs ever in Cam Newton, 5 other draft picks, as well as BCS National Championship MVP Dyer. That was a point I already addressed earlier ITT. UK loses players from their recruiting classes and they have to go down even further in the level of recruits when compared to their competition. Auburn suffers attrition and lands Cam Newton...
Auburn's classes in 2008 and 09 were rated around 20th nationally. Those classes held many or most of the kids on their national championship roster.

You and others have said that Joker's roster attrition has caused most of Stupes' problems. Auburn evidently got it done DESPITE attrition. And one guy--even at Cam Newton's level--ain't winning you a national championship.

Not to mention, you haven't even proven there was undue attrition under Joker anyway. That same list that showed Auburn's roster losses had LPT under Pappaw way up near the top as well.

LPT Football: Yeah but that doesn't fit our story...

Reactions: American Male
Bill, with all due respect you've stood up pretty well in this thread. I've just seen this "talent gap" thread cycle for the better part of seventeen years on the internet and it continues to be a gulf in perception between our fanbases. The Kentucky fanbase simply cannot maintain this delusion of saying they are bridging talent by forwarding redshirt sophomores who were four stars in WhereversVille, USA as being a demonstrated and tangible evidence of talent vs. a kid who is going to have his name called in one of the next two NFL Drafts. The front seven for Louisville is abundant in kids who are going to hear their names called by the Commissioner in the next two seasons. Rankins and Burgess could have gone hardship after their junior seasons as a 3-4 DE and a LB; Deangelo Brown may well go hardship after this season as a NG and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelsey do the same at a Mike. If they aren't hitting the field and more importantly, excelling on it, and the players in the other jersies are...then you have to start questioning the ability of a coaching staff to truly evaluate and properly deploy the talent. I think the disconnect is that there may or may not be a talent gap, but it's fair to say that there is a demonstrated developmental gap between the last two staffs at Louisville and the one currently at Kentucky.

Kentucky has beaten us by my count on at least twenty players in the last two recruiting classes, but to this point...not many of those guys have left us questioning our own staff's ability to put people in and through to the next level. Kentucky seems to be building depth at a number of positions (frankly I'd kill to have their last two classes of O linemen)...but you are still MULTIPLE recruiting classes behind in defensive talent depth and that is a lengthy and cruel process.

You do make good points, i won't deny that. Stoops has had 3 classes, one has yet to see the field, and many of the best class redshirted so that haven't either.
I never said UK is at Louisvilles level yet, if I came across that way it wasn't my intent. But I do believe Stoops and his staff have an eye for talent and get in on them early.
I think it's wrong to say well it's always been that way so why is it going to change.
Recruiting isn't everything, but it's a big damn part of it and UK is recruiting at a higher consistent level than years past.
Stoops record improved from year 1-2, I see no reason to think they peaked last year.
Everyone on here wants to boast about Mizzou and Pinkell rightfully so. Look at the number of redshirts they have year in and year out. That's why I'm hopeful, UK is finally in a position to redshirt players. That is a must to move a program forward.

Last edited:
Auburn's classes in 2008 and 09 were rated around 20th nationally. Those classes held many or most of the kids on their national championship roster.

You and others have said that Joker's roster attrition has caused most of Stupes' problems. Auburn evidently got it done DESPITE attrition. And one guy--even at Cam Newton's level--ain't winning you a national championship.

Not to mention, you haven't even proven there was undue attrition under Joker anyway. That same list that showed Auburn's roster losses had LPT under Pappaw way up near the top as well.

Cam Newton, he didn't win it by himself, but they aren't close to it without him.

You do make good points, i won't deny that. Stoops has had 3 classes, one has yet to see the field, and many of the best class redshirted so that haven't either.
Everyone on here wants to boast about Mizzou and Pinkell rightfully so. Look at the number of redshirts they have year in and year out. That's why I'm hopeful, UK is finally in a position to redshirt players. That is a must to move a program forward.

Missouri is a tough measure for you guys; they aren't surrounded by the sharks that the state of Kentucky traditionally has been. Nebraska and Oklahoma used to pick apart Kansas City and St. Louis for what talent was in the state, but now not so much certainly in the case of Nebraska. They are flanked to the West by Kansas and to the East by Illinois...historically underachieving programs. They have proximity to Chicago and no real instate competition for talent and to the south a non-populous state in Arkansas. Pinkell has done pretty well recruiting Texas.

Texas is where they've hit hard on recruiting the past few years. But like KY there isn't a lot of instate top talent in Missouri.
They red shirt their players, fifth year seniors go a long way.

Joker did have an issue with it. I've shown you the numbers. Whether you ignore it or its impact is on you.

I didn't say Brooks didn't have issues with attrition. The 07 class is an example of attrition and lack of production. Again, you are arguing against a point I never made. One commonality between all three coaches is that they all have had issues with attrition, and all three had it show in the win/loss columns.

Also, you are helping make one of my points. Auburn's classes were around 20. They had attrition, and won a title. UK's classes were 40-60, they suffered attrition, and Joker and Stoops failed to go bowling. The differences in the two is that Auburn started higher with their original classes, so the starting point was better than UK, and they replaced their losses with better players than UK did.

And, yes, a player like Cam can hide a bunch of deficiencies. I was at CWS when they played UK the year the won it all to see a battle between Newton and Cobb. While it was apparent that Cobb was amazing, and that Auburn had the overall talent edge, it was also obvious Newton was a special talent that was on another level. He's continued to show it in the NFL. They lost 4 players to the NFL Draft that year following an undefeated season. The next year they went 8-5 with a 4-4 SEC record, without many losses from their championship squad.

Finally, Stoops hasn't had that attrition from any of the classes he's landed at UK. He hasn't taken the academic, talent, or character risks his predecessors had. Lets see if that roster stability has a positive impact.

Ok.

That is a pretty fair take.

The issue I have with it though is that the real measuring stick(the final scoreboard) is attempted to be explained away and minimalized. That's when the other arguments come into play.

Turnovers happen. Injuries happen. Head scratching coaching decisions happen(like not placing one of the best WRs in the nation in bracket coverage after he's burned you a couple of times). It's all a part of the game.

I've read and heard many times from UofL fans how close you guys were to knocking off FSU. And you were. But, that game is almost a mirror of the UK/UofL game. UofL was up by a decent amount against FSU, partiality because Winston threw three INTs resulting in 14 UofL points. Only FSU had more quality depth, UofL's top guys got gassed, and FSU came back to win by 11. Now, certainly having Winston helped in that comeback, but those games are pretty similar.

I never said UK was on par with Louisville, I think the gap between current teams is closing.

You're getting close to the point, but still dancing kind of.

The gap has been substantial according to voters in polls. Going into this year neither team appears poised to open in a poll but Louisville is a lot closer than UK is. This is only a snapshot in time anyway - the poll in the summer, or the poll week to week, or even one final poll. What has been sustained? 6 of 11 of the last years Louisville has finshed up in a poll. But there's no snapshot where UK is there @ the end, much less something sustained over time... at least not in 30 years. We've consistently been around it, sniffing the top 10, annoying traditional powers @ times because we're eating up their air time.

Polls of course aren't the end all be all, but they represent a barometer. There is going to be tradition bias, regional bias, league bias, and other biases built in. But since we're in the same region and do occasionally share common opponents I think the polls are a fair place to look if you want to compare some programs, especially programs that are rivals.

Snapshot in time cherry picking of one game outcomes just aren't the measuring stick anyway. More goes into it than that.

Reactions: Mayoman
That is a pretty fair take.

The issue I have with it though is that the real measuring stick(the final scoreboard) is attempted to be explained away and minimalized. That's when the other arguments come into play.

Turnovers happen. Injuries happen. Head scratching coaching decisions happen(like not placing one of the best WRs in the nation in bracket coverage after he's burned you a couple of times). It's all a part of the game.

I've read and heard many times from UofL fans how close you guys were to knocking off FSU. And you were. But, that game is almost a mirror of the UK/UofL game. UofL was up by a decent amount against FSU, partiality because Winston threw three INTs resulting in 14 UofL points. Only FSU had more quality depth, UofL's top guys got gassed, and FSU came back to win by 11. Now, certainly having Winston helped in that comeback, but those games are pretty similar.

We're going a bit off topic w/ specific games, which is my point in my most recent response to Bill.

Snapshots in time isn't much of a criteria to hang onto.

The FSU/Louisville game was played @ a fairly high level - that's the difference in the UK/UofL game IMO.

There are examples of teams playing up and/or down to an opponent.

If you want to pick apart posters that are hanging on to the "We almost beat FSU" claim - I think you're entitled to point out there are no moral victories.

Overall is you polled the country not just the state of Kentucky, college fball fans would rank and rate UL football miles above UK football. That's just reality.

I'm not going to disagree with that. But they also haven't been paying attention to either team other than final records.

We're going a bit off topic w/ specific games, which is my point in my most recent response to Bill.

The FSU/Louisville game was played @ a fairly high level - that's the difference in the UK/UofL game IMO.

If you want to pick apart posters that are hanging on to the "We almost beat FSU" claim - I think you're entitled to point out there are no moral victories.

High level? FSU played sloppy the first half and dialed it in the second, scoring 5 td's. That's one team playing high level football.

Joker did have an issue with it. I've shown you the numbers. Whether you ignore it or its impact is on you...
I'm ignoring nothing. If other successful coaches have those same issues, then your issue (Joker's attrition) is a crutch or an excuse. Stupes is operating with nothing less than other successful coaches have.

...I didn't say Brooks didn't have issues with attrition. The 07 class is an example of attrition and lack of production. Again, you are arguing against a point I never made. One commonality between all three coaches is that they all have had issues with attrition, and all three had it show in the win/loss columns...
I'm not sure who the 3rd coach is--Auburn's??--but you never made the point because you either disregarded it or overlooked it. And if Pappaw had high attrition, why wasn't that commonly heard to help explain Joker's alleged lack of performance?

...Also, you are helping make one of my points. Auburn's classes were around 20. They had attrition, and won a title. UK's classes were 40-60, they suffered attrition, and Joker and Stoops failed to go bowling. The differences in the two is that Auburn started higher with their original classes, so the starting point was better than UK, and they replaced their losses with better players than UK did..
20th rated recruiting classes don't get you a national championship, or Texas would have won one this year. More to the story besides alleged attrition and recruiting class rankings. Those can be used as excuses to cover for poor coaching.

...And, yes, a player like Cam can hide a bunch of deficiencies. I was at CWS when they played UK the year the won it all to see a battle between Newton and Cobb. While it was apparent that Cobb was amazing, and that Auburn had the overall talent edge, it was also obvious Newton was a special talent that was on another level. He's continued to show it in the NFL. They lost 4 players to the NFL Draft that year following an undefeated season. The next year they went 8-5 with a 4-4 SEC record, without many losses from their championship squad...
Unlike basketball, one great player in football doesn't make a huge difference. If that was the case, U of L would have challenged for a championship when Bridgewater and Parker were teaming up. There's more explaining the results you're citing than a good player or roster attrition.

...Finally, Stoops hasn't had that attrition from any of the classes he's landed at UK. He hasn't taken the academic, talent, or character risks his predecessors had. Lets see if that roster stability has a positive impact.
Stupes hasn't been in the job long enough. The one common thing I do see is typical LPT in-game coaching.

LPT Football: Consistency sucks...

IMO, both games are more indicative of the talent and depth being close than anything else.

My point with that post was just to illustrate every fan base justifies the results of games. FSU fans say the same things about the UofL game that UofL fans say about the UK game. UK fans say the same things about the UofL game that UofL fans say about the FSU game.

If there are no moral victories, and all that matters is the scoreboard, all reasoning, speculation, and excuses go out the window. That would mean that according to the scoreboard, and nothing else, that the gap has indeed closed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT