ADVERTISEMENT

The mystery man...Matz Stockman, RP described him last fall as the big man most ready to contribute

No.1Cardfan

2000+
Nov 20, 2001
pre injury the reports of him were very high by RP. Is he a potential rim stuffer/hook shot this year or from what you have heard Is he more of the 3 year project. He is the most unknown to me as far as what he might contribute now... Healed and tested by Harrel and Onuaku and Mathiang ,....or held out and weak? What do you think?know?

He just looked completely lost on the court last year. He has the size and strength, but isn't a basketball player yet. More of a 3 year project in my mind.

He just looked completely lost on the court last year. He has the size and strength, but isn't a basketball player yet. More of a 3 year project in my mind.
I hate to hear that opinion but it's what I have suspected as well. Hopefully a light has gone on for him this summer. I am not counting on him this year Hope we are missing something.

Matz really is the biggest mystery on the team in the front court. He has good size and frame but just didn't really show much in game. CRP did praise him in practice and drills but maybe he wasn't able to convert that in actual games yet. While I would like to see our bigs have at least one or two offensive go-to moves, Matz would be better served to work on his defense, rebounding, and rim protection right now.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I believe that Matz has nice coordination. He is a big with ability to run the floor and he can actually catch the ball.
He dunks instead of the one foot floater....

I would like to see him be a Gourgi type rim protector. Use his 5 fouls every game..

Rebound and clog the middle.

Ready to see him play in Puerto Rico.

Hope that this past year has helped him grow and understand what is required to compete.

I believe he was granted a redshirt for last year and has 4 years left???

Reactions: J-Rye_UL
He is very slow. That's one thing that stood out. Really hard to teach speed.
He ran the court well last year, but his reactions once he got into the area of play did seem a bit slow. Perhaps that will improve with more experience, but he does appear to be at least another season away from contributing.

This kid reminds me of Puliiam from the 80's Crums teams. Will never see the court big waste of scholly.Really Rick could have found someone that could've gave us something.

This kid reminds me of Puliiam from the 80's Crums teams. Will never see the court big waste of scholly.Really Rick could have found someone that could've gave us something.
I can't imagine he is that bad... Who throws in the towel on a 7 plus foot freshman this early in their career once committed to them ...they are known to be the slowest developing players in college ball. Wasn't it Felton spencer from Middletown that eventually figured things out and ended up in the NBA?

I can't imagine he is that bad... Who throws in the towel on a 7 plus foot freshman this early in their career once committed to them ...they are known to be the slowest developing players in college ball. Wasn't it Felton spencer from Middletown that eventually figured things out and ended up in the NBA?
Felton is like Jordan compare to this kid plus i grew up in the same neigborhood with Felton, he did have some athletic abilty he was just goofy and figured it out.

I really don't think coach would've gone out and got this kid if he thought like you,that he'd never see the court.That's a bit of a stretch.Marty Pulliam,huh?He may have to come along a lot quicker this season to get minutes ahead of Mango and Onuaku.He looks to be a guy that might take til his 3rd year instead of his second like JJ and Onuaku.

OMg wake the **** up look at our recruiting since Rick has been here. Yell your right nothing but NBA picks ! Really a program like this and you happy with a player possibly being able to conribute in his third year. You better wake up and realize we are in a conference that has two teams that recrut and produces NBA, talent .And one and done talent with a championship. And you do realize we had to recruit 5th year players to be our best players?

And Mike Marra was the greatest shooter ever seen! I love my Cardinals but i am not afraid to call it like it is . The kid is a waste of a schooly. Hope i am eating crow but .I'm willing to bet two of my season tickets to you; That Austrlian big man that Cal, got recently who just reclassified to the 2015 class will produce more than Stockman and more than likely in the game at rupp.

If you're not happy with CP's recruiting and success over the last several seasons,perhaps you should submit your resume for the job.You're gonna be disappointed that it won't be looked at for several more years though.

And Mike Marra was the greatest shooter ever seen! I love my Cardinals but i am not afraid to call it like it is . The kid is a waste of a schooly. Hope i am eating crow but .I'm willing to bet two of my season tickets to you; That Austrlian big man that Cal, got recently who just reclassified to the 2015 class will produce more than Stockman and more than likely in the game at rupp.
Something stinks here......way too much Cal and cat love and respect interspersed with some occasional card love to throw off the occasional poster. Your opinion of RP's recruiting and results is so far off (if not even treasonous) of the actual results and excitement these teams have given us.
The results in the postseason for the cards have been in the top 3 in the country over the last seven- 10 years or so when you tally win loss, titles achieved etc. I spent the time last year to tally that and it was interesting to see how well we have done vs Duke, NC, and Ky . Especially considering how poorly we have played in our head up matches with Ky. I believe that RP's new emphasis on bringing offenseive development into the preseason training at a 50-50 mix shows a willingness to change his coaching style and should give a better chance at playing good teams earlier in the season more competitively. How bout that nice NIT and blowout Robert Morris loss after a fine year of developing in Cal's wonderful training program. That recruiting program and the supposed benefits it brings that you envy so much aren't what I or most Card fans prefer. Which team has the last National championship even without the NBA talent stocked up? What cat fan is happy after last year for all their NBA picks?

Reactions: shadow force
OMg wake the **** up look at our recruiting since Rick has been here. Yell your right nothing but NBA picks ! Really a program like this and you happy with a player possibly being able to conribute in his third year. You better wake up and realize we are in a conference that has two teams that recrut and produces NBA, talent .And one and done talent with a championship. And you do realize we had to recruit 5th year players to be our best players?
Just odd. Are you new to the L1C4 philosophy? Strange for you to think we want Cal's program here. It's easily the least respected coach etc. in the fraternity. Sell yourself to the devil for wins UK mentality. UK fans hated and dogged him before he got there. And many still do at the end of every season.

Just odd. Are you new to the L1C4 philosophy? Strange for you to think we want Cal's program here. It's easily the least respected coach etc. in the fraternity. Sell yourself to the devil for wins UK mentality. UK fans hated and dogged him before he got there. And many still do at the end of every season.
LOL

Well I'm glad not everyone just flat out gives up on players after their freshman season. Otherwise we'd have never seen what Russ Smith and other players could do later in their careers. Matz may never be a big part of this team but he is only a sophomore and the season hasn't even started yet. As others have said, big men tend to need more time to develop. Maybe Matz will get there someday and maybe he won't. However I'm not giving up on him already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT