ADVERTISEMENT

The Bench

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I've watched a lot of these mid-major games and I'm amazed at the skill-set that these mid-major guys have and how they compare to the lack of skills the guys on our bench have.

It is amazing to me that a perennial power like UofL could have guards that have terrible shooting fundamentals, poor free throw percentages and an inability to stop dribble. We have big men who truly struggle to make lay-ups, guys who are little more than 5 fouls.

How has that happened? Is it poor recruiting discernment, are the guys just not working enough in the gym?

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:

I've watched a lot of these mid-major games and I'm amazed at the skill-set that these mid-major guys have and how they compare to the lack of skills the guys on our bench have.

It is amazing to me that a perennial power like UofL could have guards that have terrible shooting fundamentals, poor free throw percentages and an inability to stop dribble. We have big men who truly struggle to make lay-ups, guys who are little more than 5 fouls.

How has that happened? Is it poor recruiting discernment, are the guys just not working enough in the gym?
Our reserves are FR and SOPH.

Maybe the mid-major programs are using guys off the bench that are JRs and SRs and have experience in the system.

They are also competing against other mid-majors, and not North Carolina in the ACC tournament.

It doesn't have that much to do with what year they are, it's all about talent level. And believe me, our talent level is waaaaaaaay down, whether we're talking about our starters or our bench!

Do those teams you speak of also press and play the type of defensive sets that UofL does?

OT: This appears to be the weakest Cardinal team (vice Harrell) that I can remember for quite some time. CRP might want to re-evaluate this weight training, nutrition, and aerobic training program for these players. They seem to be pretty week and gassed more than past teams, that is for sure.

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
It doesn't have that much to do with what year they are,

FR and SOPH typically play better than JRs and SRs in college basketball? No.

And believe me, our talent level is waaaaaaaay down, whether we're talking about our starters or our bench!

40% of our starters are 1st round draft choices. Another was a burger boy.

Pitino's become a victim of his own success. He was recruiting hungrier guys with less star power a few years ago. Now he can get better recruits still under the moniker of "L1C4".

The problem is these recent kids don't fully embrace L1C4. Most of them probably just hear the delayed gratification part. And there's more to it than that...

Originally posted by zipp:
Pitino's become a victim of his own success. He was recruiting hungrier guys with less star power a few years ago. Now he can get better recruits still under the moniker of "L1C4".

The problem is these recent kids don't fully embrace L1C4. Most of them probably just hear the delayed gratification part. And there's more to it than that...
Teams usually earn what they get. If they don't put in work to learn how to maximize their potential.....than the results on the court become fairly evident. Some teams have a glass ceiling due to circumstances.....and some teams just never reach their potential due to poor chemistry......

I'll go with the first and last thoughts when it comes to this team......they try hard to overcome their shortcomings......but the margin of error is razor thin for them as we have come to know.

NCAA-T is their last chance. It is now or never for these guys this year.

I'm just talking in terms of general basketball fundamentals.

Gill and Aaron have really bad mechanics on their shot. Our bigs have no post moves at all. In fact they look like they have no idea what to do with the ball on offense.

The frustrating part is that any one of those guys could have stepped up and instantly become the 6th man on a top 20 team. The opportunity is there.

Where does Gonzaga and Witchita St get their players seriuosly Rick needs to pick fews mind a little.

Good questions, Hank. Not sure anyone can answer them.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I see RedBeastFurry is still up to his old tricks.

The truth is that this is just not one of Pitino's better teams. Most teams coming off of a recent championship and final four seasons have "down years." This is a down year and the team is sitting at 24-8. Not bad... Pitino has one more run in him before he calls it quits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT