ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

We sometime fail to truly appreciate how what he has built. It really is amazing. Playing in the late 80’s I really appreciate where this program has gone. He walks on water in my mind😀.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
No Coach can compensate for ineffective hitting. Think about this for a moment, how can anyone blame the coach when he had the lead-off hitter on base and the go ahead run at the plate with nobody out in the bottom half of the 9th inning. You could not have asked for a better situation, knowing that Rushing, Metzinger and Peyton have a chance to at least tie the game, if not execute a walk-off to win it.

Sorry guys, CDM did not lose this series …… our kids simply failed to produce period.
Do you think player performance is a reflection of coaching?

Do you think player performance is a reflection of coaching?
At times. But, not in this situation. Baseball - the guys at the plate just have to hit the ball. Their approach at the plate and how to swing the bat is, of course, a practice element managed by coaches. Yet, when you are standing in the box it is only you - not the coaches. Players must hit the ball, they must catch the ball and they must throw the ball - all well enough to make plays and win.

For next year, I don’t foresee the kind of power we witnessed this year. Solid contact hitters throughout the lineup - yes. And, that can win a lot of games. As mentioned in a previous post - it will come down to the pitching staff.

At times. But, not in this situation. Baseball - the guys at the plate just have to hit the ball. Their approach at the plate and how to swing the bat is, of course, a practice element managed by coaches. Yet, when you are standing in the box it is only you - not the coaches. Players must hit the ball, they must catch the ball and they must throw the ball - all well enough to make plays and win.

For next year, I don’t foresee the kind of power we witnessed this year. Solid contact hitters throughout the lineup - yes. And, that can win a lot of games. As mentioned in a previous post - it will come down to the pitching staff.
I barely pay attention to baseball - really only when it’s the “playoffs” and the same goes for womens bball so my opinion isn’t worth a ton but my general perspective is McConnell and Waltz both seem to consistently build elite programs that faulter in the “playoffs.” Again that’s just the attitude of a guy who only pays attention at the end of the season and even then it’s more so checking box scores.

I try not to blame the Umpires, but Guardman is correct; the inconsistency with the calls behind the plate was for a factor. He consistently gave the Aggie pitchers the low outside strike despite being well beyond the corner of the plate; yet conversely he was consistently called our low inside strikes as balls. That Bluebell home crowd was responding to each and every pitch, and I suspect that it took its toll on him.

I barely pay attention to baseball - really only when it’s the “playoffs” and the same goes for womens bball so my opinion isn’t worth a ton but my general perspective is McConnell and Waltz both seem to consistently build elite programs that faulter in the “playoffs.” Again that’s just the attitude of a guy who only pays attention at the end of the season and even then it’s more so checking box scores.
Well, baseball this year was almost a complete rebuild. If you don’t pay attention, sure, it looks like the Cards fizzled late. But, in reality, they exceeded expectations.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Responding to various comments and adding my own…

Ditto on the compliments for CDM this season. No way this team had the pitching staff to be in Omaha. And we all know that good pitching beats good hitting esp. at season’s end. This team wasn’t built or expected to be playing this far into the season.

As far as CDM’s decision making this weekend, I can’t question it. Two relatively low scoring, one-run outcomes validates playing more aggressively on the base paths. He felt like he had to make some good things happen, and that was ultimately correct. The fact we didn’t do it—make enough of them happen—doesn’t prove otherwise.

233 summed it up. “…Our kids simply failed to produce period.” CDM has coached more than a handful of baseball games here. Before I start questioning his system and coaching abilities (and staff), I’m questioning the players in it. Sure, he recruits them. And for those who follow them, have our recruiting rankings fallen off recently? You guys know I’m here for anyone with data who thinks he can link cause and effect.

As far as delivering, aTm was perhaps even more ineffective at bringing home baserunners than we were. (I know that was true Friday nite.) We can lament that part of our game this weekend, but we weren't alone.

I’m not sure how you would have changed the batting order at this point in the season with any precision. Masterman has been mostly MIA the past couple months until last weekend. Humphrey was one of the few guys who hadn’t been a streaky hitter until this weekend. You can’t predict performances like these in advance. A team who got this far on hitting and hitting at key times has to keep hitting. And we scored seven runs in two games.

I share concerns about our pitching going forward. Hard to figure why it has trailed off the last couple years. We won’t seriously challenge for a CWS until that reverses course…

Both teams were so evenly matched that one hit or one error could determine the outcome of the game. All this being said watch A&M make it to the finals.

Matchups are key as well. We were very evenly matched with A&M. UT just went out to ND who we owned. Ole Miss, who was questionable even being in the tournament, smashed Southern Miss in game one.

Yeah I would question your opinion on these two teams when you don't even know who the coaches are. Oh, it was a typo on both, my bad.

Yeah I would question your opinion on these two teams when you don't even know who the coaches are. Oh, it was a typo on both, my bad.
lol...Nope. That was not a typo.

Like I said...its an outsider opinion and its probably formed because I never read or watch anything about how either team is supposed to be that particular season I just see seemingly go into every post season with high expectations and nearly always not live up to them.

EKY: your honesty about not following the Cards Baseball and Women’s Basketball is admirable. As far as any disappointing post season finish for either UL head coach or their program; allow me to encourage you to do some research on the level of competition that UL has faced in these tournaments, where despite UL having great talent …….. their opponents for the most part have been simply more talented. Take a look at UConn Women’s BB, or Baylor, or Stanford, or ND or even NCST … just finding ourselves in this same category consistently each year is a remarkable accomplishment.

Take a close look at the number of ACC and SEC Baseball teams who have won the College World Series …… those UL must beat each year to even qualify, much less advance.

If you want to put this in closer perspective; compare UL with UK in both of these sports. UL is dominating both of these respective rivals? I cannot recall when the last time UK even made it to a Super Regional, much less Omaha. Can anyone recall the last time UK Women’s BB team reaching the Final Four?

I agree. Hitting is probably the hardest singular thing to do in any sport especially as you progress.

At times these guys made it look easy. It is not. Rushing is a good example. He has a trained eye he knows the strike zone so when a umpire starts creeping out of the strike zone it goes against all his training. The reason he was successful is because he took pitches and forced the pitcher to throw strikes. In any at bat he doesn’t know how the umpire is going to call it. Fouling off borderline pitches is easier said than done when we are talking split seconds decisions. Metz on the 3-2 pitch guessed fastball he was wrong. I figured it was off speed but can completely understand why he guessed fastball. I guarantee they discussed what they thought the pitcher was going to throw.

At this level hitters have to guess coaching is more about preparing the guys on what the pitchers tendencies are making it an educated guess.

They just didn’t get the key hit. It happens.

Reactions: Bardman
I agree. Hitting is probably the hardest singular thing to do in any sport especially as you progress...
Heard a quote one time that a good hitter in high level baseball is a freak of nature. The hand to eye coordination and ability to hit something the size of a baseball in the time and at the speed it's delivered to the plate is not something a human being should be able to do effectively.

I wish I recall where and when I heard it, but the guy was some sort of medical scientist/expert. Oh well...

Heard a quote one time that a good hitter in high level baseball is a freak of nature. The hand to eye coordination and ability to hit something the size of a baseball in the time and at the speed it's delivered to the plate is not something a human being should be able to do effectively.
Our three best at it all return next season. Payton,Beard and Knap lead a pretty good core coming back. Fill some holes and get some pitching,we'll be right back in the thick of it.

Reactions: Bardman
Our three best at it all return next season. Payton,Beard and Knap lead a pretty good core coming back. Fill some holes and get some pitching,we'll be right back in the thick of it.
Those are definitely our best hit for average guys but not for power. I do expect that will change some for Payton and Humphrey.

Those are definitely our best hit for average guys but not for power. I do expect that will change some for Payton and Humphrey.
I think maybe just good at seeing it and trying to put it in play. I do think Payton and Beard will tweak it a little to get some more homers. Yeah,losing a lot of homers.
Looked at the mock draft yesterday and it looks like Cam Collier is projected to go in the top ten picks. He was one guy that would fill the power gap along with maybe Cook. Fingers crossed on Collier.

I think maybe just good at seeing it and trying to put it in play. I do think Payton and Beard will tweak it a little to get some more homers. Yeah,losing a lot of homers.
Looked at the mock draft yesterday and it looks like Cam Collier is projected to go in the top ten picks. He was one guy that would fill the power gap along with maybe Cook. Fingers crossed on Collier.
In this day and age of the portal and NIL, I'm going to wait to comment on what to expect for the '23 season until it is confirmed who is returning. The FSU hire will probably cause a ripple through some programs. Stuff will happen after the CWS.

The FSU hire will probably cause a ripple through some programs. Stuff will happen after the CWS.
Good point. I do think we've got a pretty good group of veteran position players leading the way.

No way Collier makes it to campus

This guy looks like he’ll bring some pop though

I expect Humphrey to threaten a 0.400 batting average next year. Really impressed with the way his hitting improved during this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT