ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Friday, 2015 Outlook

Jul 27, 2010
Louisville, Louisville
That time of year again! Hoping to see some of the younger guys and the stud transfers we've brought in. Havent been able to make it out to any of the open practices, but who are some of the guys standing out? I hear the QB spot is pretty inconsistent and that the RB's look solid but not much else! Hope to hear what some of you, who have been able to attend, think about the 2015 campaign. See you guys Friday night! As always, Go Cards! Beat everybody!

I made it out Saturday for the first time, and posted extensive thoughts on the premium forum. I won't repeat all I said there ...

But ... as far as QB goes, it looked to me that it was a race between Reggie Bonnafon and Kyle Bolin. Reggie was going with the 1s on Saturday, and Kyle the 2s, so it was hard to tell if any separation was truly made. The 1s on O played the 2s on D, so it really didn't allow for much comparison between the two QBs. Kyle throws it better, and gets rid of it quicker than Reggie ... But Reggie isn't a slouch throwing the ball. Reggie looks to tuck and run quicker than Kyle does, and if he reaches the second level of the defense, he really makes them pay. Kyle is fleet afoot too, and while he doesn't possess the speed or athleticism of Reggie, he can make negative plays positive too. I really wished I could have seen Kyle and Reggie flip flop from 1s and 2s, but it didn't happen Saturday. I think Ferguson is just inconsistent, showing flashes of an amazing arm, but also flashes of just missing ... We know how Bobby feels about that. Who knows what will happen in time though. He may be rusty coming off a transfer year.

RB's look great -- Brandon Radcliffe seemed a bit "off" to me Saturday. But LJ Scott was impressive running with the 2s against the 1s. I really like the look of Jeremy Smith the JUCO RB we brought in this last class, who enrolled early. He's big, with quick feet, and can bust it out for long gains. I was surprised to see Northwestern transfer Malin Jones out there (#33). Mainly because I had forgotten about him. But he had a couple nice runs Saturday too.

WR's -- to borrow from Coach Pitino ... Devante Parker isn't walking through that door. Eli Rogers isn't walking through that door either. There are some talented guys, but they have some room to improve. James Quick needs to step up and he is capable of it. True freshman and early enrollee Traveon Samuel is FAST, and will be a feature in the offense next year. We have some big guys playing the position, so we'll see who emerges. Dontez Byrd (Ballard High) made plays, but again we'll see.

TE -- looks nice. Mickey Crum stepped up and made several plays. I expect it of Keith Towbridge and Charles Standburry.

OLine -- I have no idea how they're doing -- I think there's a noticeable drop off from 1s to 2s, but I don't know how they were being managed (were guys moving from one to the other throughout the practice I saw?? I don't know).

Defense -- we have a tough front 7 on the 1s ... And some younger guys making plays in the secondary. I think there are a handful of players on the 2s who can step in well, but the others need to make improvement. Our depth needs to be rebuilt, which you'd expect after the last two seasons.

Friday will be fun. Next fall will be too. I expect we'll have an entertaining style of football, and may surprise some people next year.

Good stuff, Pervis. Seems as if we can shake out the QB competition and get more consistency from the OLine, the odds of us winning 9-10 games greatly improve. I think the defense will reload and continue to be a strength in 2015. With the guys up front and the newcomers/transfers coming in in the secondary, I'm excited about reloading on "D'. Looks as if this year may be a repeat of last year. The schedule doesn't do us any favors though, Auburn, Houston, and Clemson in our first three is really tough.

If they can manage going at least 2-1 in those first 3, this could be a very good season. They will have some big game experience early with a fairly week schedule late. Sure would love to ruin uk's bowl hopes again this year. That is always fun!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT