ADVERTISEMENT

Some facts

balderthanu

Getting the Hang of It
Jul 24, 2014
because I'm tired of all this BS blue revisionist history.

1. 99.9% of UK fans (100% of those in the Louisville area) were boastful of, obnoxious about, and guaranteeing a certain national championship. The best example of their pompous, puffed-up and beyond-the-pale braggadocio was the "Drew" character from Matty Bangs' show who hosted Sports Talk the night Louisville won their very difficult opening game against the 7' 6" behemoth and his teammates. This guy, and the thinly veiled Frosty Tips himself who called in under a nom de plume giving his delusion-fueled version of what he thinks a UofL fan thinks/says, went on and on about how all-time great UK was, how the championship was all theirs and theirs alone to lose and how pitiful UofL fans were to be jubilant about a win against inferior competition. As previously mentioned on this site, MANY UK fans were sporting more and more tattoos and t-shirts proclaiming, among other things, the greatest team of all time, 40-0, and a guaranteed national championship. The coach did NOTHING, absolutely M-F-ing nothing to dissuade this behavior and frankly fueled it a great deal with his obnoxious and self-absorbed press conferences throughout the season.
2. The UK players and coaches either mimicked or inspired the above by their own proclamations of this being a "national championship season or bust," and expecting to win all their games. Not only does this disrespect your opponent to the nth degree, it disrespects the game. But I would expect nothing less than this from Cal.
3. UK had 4, count-em FOUR players drafted in the first 13. Now I personally think that WCS, Trey Lyles and Devin Booker will be monumental busts, up there with Sam Bowie but the point remains that NBA scouts and GMs who know a lot more about this stuff than I do, saw fit to draft these bozos in the top 13 picks. Two other teams in the HISTORY OF NCAA BASKETBALL had 4 lottery picks and they both won the national title. UK didn't even make the final game. If that is not the living, breathing, walking, talking manifestation of the biggest choke job in the history of the game, then I don't know what is.

These are facts. They are indisputable. UK, as oppsed to the immortal words of their prior president, over-promises and underperforms.

IIRC, Coach Cal, after the 2012 NC, talked to fans about trying to go 40-0. Thus, he is the person behind the 40-0 talk that adorns T-shirts, tattoos, fan boasts and the like.

I'd love to see the uofl fan slant on all the above had your team had a 38-1 season and went to the Final Four.

I'd love to see the uofl fan slant on all the above had your team had a 38-1 season and went to the Final Four.
On that basis alone, not much different.

But were we also the overwhelming favorite to win the championship? On the order of the 1991 UNLV squad?

Did we have so many NBA draft picks on our team that our fans touted our BENCH as Top Ten in the nation as a standalone team?

Did our fans smugly wear 40-0 T-shirts, many of which never made it to Africa from the season before?

And did the true idiots in our fanbase line up to get "2015 Champs" tattoos?

If all of that happened with a U of L team, as ridiculous as it sounds for U of L fans to do, I doubt seriously that we would be having a discussion about how great our Final Four run was. Nor would we be out buying pigs and lipstick.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Yet u can't dispute my facts. You can only deflect. Typical of the guy who shouldn't even be allowed on here anymore.

Reactions: ACCCard
You can easily compare the differences between the two fan bases in the past few years, Louisville wins the National Title and their fans celebrate without endangering anyone. Suck wins a National Title and they burn couches, riot, take over a fire truck and endanger people around them. Suck lose in the Final Four and they burn couches, riot and endanger people, your fan base is classless.

With a fanbase as BIG as BBN, some stuff will happen. Don't try to tell me all was peacefful and quiet back in April 2013.

because I'm tired of all this BS blue revisionist history.

1. 99.9% of UK fans (100% of those in the Louisville area) were boastful of, obnoxious about, and guaranteeing a certain national championship. The best example of their pompous, puffed-up and beyond-the-pale braggadocio was the "Drew" character from Matty Bangs' show who hosted Sports Talk the night Louisville won their very difficult opening game against the 7' 6" behemoth and his teammates. This guy, and the thinly veiled Frosty Tips himself who called in under a nom de plume giving his delusion-fueled version of what he thinks a UofL fan thinks/says, went on and on about how all-time great UK was, how the championship was all theirs and theirs alone to lose and how pitiful UofL fans were to be jubilant about a win against inferior competition. As previously mentioned on this site, MANY UK fans were sporting more and more tattoos and t-shirts proclaiming, among other things, the greatest team of all time, 40-0, and a guaranteed national championship. The coach did NOTHING, absolutely M-F-ing nothing to dissuade this behavior and frankly fueled it a great deal with his obnoxious and self-absorbed press conferences throughout the season.
2. The UK players and coaches either mimicked or inspired the above by their own proclamations of this being a "national championship season or bust," and expecting to win all their games. Not only does this disrespect your opponent to the nth degree, it disrespects the game. But I would expect nothing less than this from Cal.
3. UK had 4, count-em FOUR players drafted in the first 13. Now I personally think that WCS, Trey Lyles and Devin Booker will be monumental busts, up there with Sam Bowie but the point remains that NBA scouts and GMs who know a lot more about this stuff than I do, saw fit to draft these bozos in the top 13 picks. Two other teams in the HISTORY OF NCAA BASKETBALL had 4 lottery picks and they both won the national title. UK didn't even make the final game. If that is not the living, breathing, walking, talking manifestation of the biggest choke job in the history of the game, then I don't know what is.

These are facts. They are indisputable. UK, as oppsed to the immortal words of their prior president, over-promises and under-performs.

Apparently you have no real grasp on what a "fact" is. These are the rambling sentiments of a fan of the rival team. "Opinions" is what you were looking for, not facts.

1. Nowhere near 99.9% of UK fans thought a NC was a guarantee. Maybe 70-80% of message board posters, but they hardly represent the greater fanbase adequately. (nor does UofL's board BTW) No one I know, outside of the message board world, thought this way. A great chance? Yes. A done deal? Not hardly.
2. Of course players and coaches are going to say they're playing for, and expect, a national title. What else would they say? Golly gee, we really hope we can hang with everyone else and god willing, make the tournament? No one wants their team or coach to lack confidence.
3. You contradict yourself here pretty badly. UK had 4 players picked in the first 13 and you want to know why they couldn't win it all. Yet, you then say, three of the four will be "monumental busts". So which is it, did UK under-perform with great players, or, were their players not that good and might have over-performed? But, to the point you were trying to make, UK made it to the final four and lost. Choke job? Maybe a little. I personally think Cal choked, not the players. Still nothing here is based on fact, only opinions.

Zipp, the City of Louisville did not embarrass itself like the City of Lexington did... but it wasn't all quiet and subdued celebration.
At one point, the Riot police had to be dispersed around campus to quell a riotous crowd.
One of my best friends is ERT for LMPD and was deployed. There are also news reports of it as well.

Overall, it was a good celebration, with lots of class. But to JC's point, there are ALWAYS fringe elements, outliers which can make a bad name for the whole.

When I google riots in Lexington they bring stories up about the riots that occurred the past few years that were related to sUcK basketball. When I google riots in Louisville they bring up stories about the riots in Louisville in the 1960's after the assassination of MLK.

The closest I have ever seen was the "Rodney, Scooter, You and Me - Albuquerque in '83" hats in 1983. That's only going as far as a FF, not a NC or undefeated season and came at a time when we were regular FF participants.

Simply stated, it is a difference between the programs and the fan bases. We know how losses can come from nowhere and how difficult it is to win a NC. As do you.

FWIW I know you are a UK diehard (and proudly so), but doubt you had to have any tattoos altered or removed.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
I find it interesting how University of Louisville fans are more fascinated by 40-0 than UK fans. If I was a die hard Cardinal fan, I'd have bigger battles, like trying to beat the opposing coach.

I find it interesting how University of Louisville fans are more fascinated by 40-0 than UK fans. If I was a die hard Cardinal fan, I'd have bigger battles, like trying to beat the opposing coach.
The diffrence is UK hangs it hat on basketball...we excel in other sports. Overall sports programs and success not even close..womens title game, BCS bowls, latestest team in state to hold title, college world series...UK was the one talking 40-0. Even had fans getting tats with 40-0...UK =1 sport school.

Those are facts? LOL

These are facts....
* UK pushed the undefeated envelope to 38, four more than had ever been done before. All you people making fun of that are just like the people who made fun of the Patriots losing to the Giants
* UK made it's fourth Final Four in five years. Remember in the 80s when U of L made four Final Fours in seven years, and how the fans talked about dynasty and printed up a bunch of t-shirts (tattoos weren't in back then)
* UK beat U of L again. Cal is 7-1 against Pitino. You own us in football. We own you in basketball.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
"FWIW I know you are a UK diehard (and proudly so), but doubt you had to have any tattoos altered or removed." You doubt correctly, Boone Co. I wouldn't take that risk.

"The diffrence is UK hangs it hat on basketball...we excel in other sports. Overall sports programs and success not even close..womens title game, BCS bowls, latestest team in state to hold title, college world series."

....and yet UK finished ahead of uofl in the Director's Cup standings.

This is an interesting post.

Don't you personally resent hypocrites and the willfully gullible? The insane superiority complex of such a needy fan base is the issue, not Louisville. When the Emperor gets stripped, who won't laugh? Such a pallid little defense is hilarious.

"FWIW I know you are a UK diehard (and proudly so), but doubt you had to have any tattoos altered or removed." You doubt correctly, Boone Co. I wouldn't take that risk.

"The diffrence is UK hangs it hat on basketball...we excel in other sports. Overall sports programs and success not even close..womens title game, BCS bowls, latestest team in state to hold title, college world series."

Game...set....match.

LOL, Kentucky competes - with 8 other colleges - in Rifle Team competition. It generally earns them 60-70 points in the Director's Cup. I really hope you have never ever expressed a sense of unfairness about Stanford being perennial champions in Water Polo.

UK' women's track team, having said all that, was awesome.

"LOL, Kentucky competes - with 8 other colleges - in Rifle Team competition. It generally earns them 60-70 points in the Director's Cup."

...I love how if UK wins anything.... anything....and uofl fans immediately try to dissect it.

"LOL, Kentucky competes - with 8 other colleges - in Rifle Team competition. It generally earns them 60-70 points in the Director's Cup."

...I love how if UK wins anything.... anything....and uofl fans immediately try to dissect it.
Face it - that's a softball.

....no, that's a typical reaction from guys like you. RP is 1-7 vs Cal at UK and yet the outcry from your side of the fence is still "Cal can't coach."

UK's 8 titles ....someone here attempts to try to 'dissect' them in some weird attempt to act like they don't exist.

Director's Cup standings... UK is ahead of uofl.... and here you are, dissecting.

What's next? Water isn't wet?

....no, that's a typical reaction from guys like you. RP is 1-7 vs Cal at UK and yet the outcry from your side of the fence is still "Cal can't coach."

UK's 8 titles ....someone here attempts to try to 'dissect' them in some weird attempt to act like they don't exist.

Director's Cup standings... UK is ahead of uofl.... and here you are, dissecting.

What's next? Water isn't wet?

That's a typical reaction of any fan base's message board when their rival does well. Do you even read your own board? Events that cause the 4 biggest reactions on the UK boards are 1. When UK does well. To cheer. 2. When does bad. To vent. 3. When UofL does bad. To mock. 4. When UofL does well. To "dissect" as you put it, and to diminish the achievement. It's typical message board behavior on any board, including yours.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
The point remains.....if the roles were reversed, if uofl had 8 titles, putting the first 4 of them under the microscope because of the era in which they occurred wouldn't happen...at least not by this guy.

That's a typical reaction of any fan base's message board when their rival does well. Do you even read your own board? Events that cause the 4 biggest reactions on the UK boards are 1. When UK does well. To cheer. 2. When does bad. To vent. 3. When UofL does bad. To mock. 4. When UofL does well. To "dissect" as you put it, and to diminish the achievement. It's typical message board behavior on any board, including yours.

True, BUT....the one guy said U of L excels in all sports and Kentucky just has basketball. You have to admit a much higher ranking in the Director's Cup is a pretty strong rebuttal to that.

Point still remains that 4 of those championships were tainted regardless of how hard you try to sell them to UofL fans. Doesn't work. Never will.

The era in which they occurred is completely relevent. The NCAA tournament consisted of 8 teams(3 grueling matches of 4 corners offense with no shot clock). uk actually lost in the 1949 NIT tournament yet still competed in the NCAA that year and claims a championship even though it wasn't considered as prestigious at the time. I'm not even sure why the 1951 championship is still even recognized considered the point-shaving scandal. I'll give you 1958 even though the NIT was still highly regarded at the time.

But really anything won by Adolph Rupp was clouded with racism and cheating. I choose not to recognize anything won by him.

And in response to the Director's Cup smack....HAHAHAHAHA! Rifle team championships are terrific.

Last edited:
The point remains.....if the roles were reversed, if uofl had 8 titles, putting the first 4 of them under the microscope because of the era in which they occurred wouldn't happen...at least not by this guy.
That's what is known as a false dichotomy.Poking fun at UK and administering reality is a cottage industry for UofL fans and I plead completely guilty.

In the end, the issue is with Calipari's coaching acumen. If you're happy with being mentioned in the national press, that's delightful. If you're interested in getting more of those titles, no one - not even Rupp - has put you in better positions. So wtf happened?

Cardsmack....until time travel is invented, there's no changing how college basketball has evolved over the years. It had to start somehow, in some format. To discredit the championships from back then is just silly.

Regardless of what you think/feel....the NCAA record books have UK's title count at 8. End of story.

Reactions: blubo
Point still remains that 4 of those championships were tainted regardless of how hard you try to sell them to UofL fans. Doesn't work. Never will.

The era in which they occurred is completely relevent. The NCAA tournament consisted of 8 teams(3 grueling matches of 4 corners offense with no shot clock). uk actually lost in the 1949 NIT tournament yet still competed in the NCAA that year and claims a championship even though it wasn't considered as prestigious at the time. I'm not even sure why the 1951 championship is still even recognized considered the point-shaving scandal. I'll give you 1958 even though the NIT was still highly regarded at the time.

But really anything won by Adolph Rupp was clouded with racism and cheating. I choose not to recognize anything won by him.

Anin respnse to the Director's Cup smack....HAHAHAHAHA! Rifle team championships are terrific.

I choose not to recognize Denny Crum's two titles and his Final Fours. They came before the shot clock, the three point line, and Prop 48. See how that works?

"I choose not to recognize Denny Crum's two titles and his Final Fours. They came before the shot clock, the three point line, and Prop 48. See how that works?"

:D

....based on what? I don't see 4 Final Fours and a title on his resume for the past 6 years I mentioned. There's only one other coach that has both in that 6-year period.....

How About Another Leaked NBA Job Rumor?
Yes that’s right, the day after John Calipari gets slammed for his controversial comment regarding removing the Confederate flag, the news is leaked that the Coach of the Kentucky men’s basketball team might be in talks to take over as an NBA head coach, and head of basketball operations for The Sacramento Kings!
The correct answer may be to get some UK fans thinking about something other that him disrespecting the flag of their heritage. What better way to get the upset fan base back in your corner, than present them with the threat that you could leave them?

cal playing all you blue holes like a banjo . LMAO

Last edited:
You blue holes hired him because he said "I know how to beat Louisville" paid him a ton of money then he crashed and burned ! You blue holes got played, the sad part is that you don't know when you're getting played . LOL Trust me you blue holes got played and you're still getting played.

ADVERTISEMENT